2Guys1Truck: Astro Van through Central and South America March 2012

Wiley

Adventurer
Editing posts with the pics I took years ago, why not...most are over sized for the forum so limited to what I can add

Hey, we finally hit the road. You can follow us on 2guys1truck.com (bought domain before vehicle, oops), though it should have been called Central and South American Clusterf@#% as we don't know what we are doing haha.

The firm route south
route.gif

Baja Camping
cropped-header.jpg

I am currently in Cabo San Lucas, it is spring break....which is why I skipped most of Baja, but will hit it up on the return leg, or another time. For those who don't know, my friend and I are driving a Chevy Astro AWD Van through Central and South America. We quit our jobs, and will either drive for the next 6 months and sell the vehicle, or drive for 12 months round trip. Pictures will be uploaded later this week, and hopefully a video, the "Astrocam" worked well.

I was sure our trip south would impress these girls, but they had no idea where South America was....I hate Cabo.
IMAG0306.jpg

Santa Rosalia Camping
santa-rosalia-sunrise-1.jpg

Santa Rosalia Sunrise
santa-rosalia-sunrise-2.jpg

Checked out Cerritos Beach on Wednesday, about 15 min south of Todos Santos, or 45 min north of Cabo San Lucas. Cerritos is popular with english speaking locals and tourists, so if you need a break from spanish this place is good. Cerritos is a cresent shaped bay, so there are also many whale sightings here, I was lucky enough to watch one for about 15 minutes, as well as spend some time watching some great surfers. The waves were big, but not huge for here from what I gather. I believe you can sleep here for free, but did not verify that. Again, will add pics.

Not me!
cerritos-beach.jpg

Spent last night doing some beach camping about 15 min north of Cabo San Lucas. The place was nice, though there are horse tours offered so you wont have it to yourself...but it is close to cabo, and the horse guides said it was no problem to sleep there. The horses run around on their own when not in use, so they were hauling @ss down the paths around me as I reorganized the van...pretty cool.

I don't really feel like the trip is starting till we get back up to La Paz to take the ferry, so stay tuned.

Also, there have been some problems here or there with the site at times, so let me know if you can view it. Some can, others cant. I am not good with the internet, so I am not sure what is going on. Thanks, hope you enjoy the trip.

Who invited these guys
IMG_6969.jpg

2guys1truck

Last edited:

Wiley

Adventurer
Whats up with the thumbs down in the title....did I do that?? If so, can someone remove that. Thanks!

Glad to hear Yeti. Sounds like the problems with people viewing the site have been resolved themselves, so I believe we are good to go.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Whats up with the thumbs down in the title....did I do that?? If so, can someone remove that. Thanks!

Glad to hear Yeti. Sounds like the problems with people viewing the site have been resolved themselves, so I believe we are good to go.

Thumbs down is now a thumb up!

I hope you have a great trip. I should be back in Costa Rica/Panama in April, perhaps I will meet you on the road.

Wiley

Adventurer
website no workie.
Man, I really wish I knew what was up...I need to take care of this issue before we continue on with the trip, too many people are expecting a website. I will follow up soon I hope

Thumbs down is now a thumb up!

I hope you have a great trip. I should be back in Costa Rica/Panama in April, perhaps I will meet you on the road.

Gracias amaigo! Small chance I may run back to SD for a short break, but this has just came up so I need a few days to mull it over. How long are you down there?

I will be reading this one. Where are the pictures?

Kevin

Assuming I dont go back to SD to regroup, pictures will be up as soon as I have a power source for my laptop. My van is in disarray at the moment, so I cannot charge anything :(

Wiley

Adventurer
Use 2guys1truck new link, this will bring you to the welcome message where you can then signup for email notification, so the problems are resolved as far as I know, thanks.

If you previously subscribed to our email notification those were lost when I redid it, so you will need to sign up one more time, sorry.

Pics have been added to the site. Here is a sample, I only have a point and shoot, but my friend brought his nice one so later in the trip quality should go up. Larger sized pics can be found on the site.

sign on Baja 1
cows-300x225.jpg

isolated-camp-300x225.jpg

santa-rosalia-sunrise-3-300x225.jpg

Last edited:

Wiley

Adventurer
Site should now work for all according to godaddy tech support.

Currently in Guadalajara, followed the coast down to La Manzanilla/Melenque area mostly relaxing on beaches, though some time was spent in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallerta. Everything is relatively slow since tourist season is winding down, along with the poor economy affecting tourism in general. Overall things are great, Mexico really is an amazing place, its impossible to describe in words. I was looking forward to it, but definitely underestimated how much I would enjoy it. A couple more teaser pics, and a link to the newest post. We will be in Guadalajara for a week, so I hope to fill in some of the gaps on the site, but we are finally on top of our posts.

Barra de Navidad
IMAG0357.jpg

Dead Fish La Manzanilla
IMGP1159.jpg

San Blas Sunset
IMGP1133.jpg

San Blas Camping
IMGP1105.jpg

The mercado in Mazatlan
IMGP1030.jpg

Mmmmmmmm
IMGP1028.jpg

Guitar
IMG_7754.jpg

Tlaquepaque Church
IMG_7582.jpg

Traffic
Cow-2.jpg

Guadalajara Historico Centro
IMG_7346.jpg

La Manzanilla
La-Manzanilla-12.jpg

La Manzanilla
La-Manzanilla-141.jpg

La Manzanilla

La-Manzanilla-141-150x150.jpg

San Blas
San-Blas-2.jpg

San Blas Mural
San-Blas-Mural-Wall-150x150.jpg

Puerto Vallerta
Puerto-Vallerta-91-150x150.jpg

You're in the jungle baby...you're gonna die!

Last edited:

Wiley

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I am finding its getting easy to stay on top of it now, sort of getting a rhythm going. Still need to figure out how to get video up....baby steps

Now the not so great news. Think my friend and I are going to go separate ways. We are leaving on good terms, but its not working. I told him many times before the trip I was going to go at my own pace, but now he is in a rush so our schedules are not lining up. Combine that with the fact that he did not do a single thing to help me prepare for the trip, or provide anything monetarily for wear and tear on certain items even though I told him many times I expected help (5 Tires alone were about 750 I think) and I have decided that it is time to make this my trip again. I may head back to the US for a short break to fix the things I didn't have time to do right because of his lack of help, or I may continue on, as there is no deal breaker, just a list of things. As far as traveling together I would say 95% of the time has been awesome, but I am not going to drive him around the world on my dime, and am not going to keep skipping places I want to see just because he does not. So he is going to backpack his way south, before heading to Italy.

Guadalagara
Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Senora Alicia, our Hoestess while we attended Spanish School
IMAG0411.jpg

Atlas Vs Pumas
IMGP1521.jpg

Atlas Vs Pumas
IMGP1521.jpg

Lucha Libre
IMGP1351.jpg

Tlaquepaque
IMAG0387.jpg

Last edited:

Wiley

Adventurer
This time we hit up Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, and Mexico City/Teotihuacan. Great time, once again we got lost, explored some cities, climbed some pyramids, and even hit a person. Still with my friend, and now a Belgium we picked up in Guadalajara. Sitting in Oaxaca now, may head back any day, may go to the beaches in Puerto Escondio area 1st and then separate...playing it day by day, haven't decided how far from the US I want to get before running back.

18-1 Bitches!!!

Guanajuato
IMGP1646.jpg

Don Quixote
IMGP1622.jpg

Guanajuato from above
IMGP1601.jpg

Lots of stairs in this town
IMGP1587.jpg

This chick would not stop stalking me
IMGP1578.jpg

Love guitar player pics
IMGP1567.jpg

See
IMG_8242.jpg

Mexico City
IMG_8125.jpg

Mexico City Cathedral from distance
IMG_7954.jpg

From atop Pyramid of the Sun
IMG_7886.jpg

I see nothing wrong with this, he was wearing safety googles after all
IMG_7847.jpg

Guanajuato Cathedral
IMG_7810.jpg

Last edited:

Wiley

Adventurer
Ok, not much went on here, as I got very sick in Mexico City and spent a week recovering (Montezumas Revenge). Lots of puking among other things, couldn't keep food or water down so I was weak for awhile. From Mexico City we went to Puebla, but this was the worst of it so I stayed at the van and did nothing. We then went to Oaxaca, but again, I felt awful so I left my friend with the Belgium, and went about an hour away to hierve del agua to recover. Not a bad spot at all, but also not a whole lot going on, so if circumstances were different I would not have stayed there 3 days. You can easily do this with a day trip, though I do recommend going in the afternoon, and then camping there. There is a section (nothing fancy) where you can camp, setup a tent, whatever, for 3 bucks a night.

Sadly, as I alluded, my friend and I have separated, logistically there was no way to make it work. I chose to go back since I was only 3-4 days from Cali, and will take a brief break before restarting. He is continuing on, backpacking his way through at least Central America with the Belgian. I still plan on driving to SA in the near future, and am a bit bummed I wont be doing it with my friend. There are advantages and disadvantages to going alone, and while I am sure we would have had our ups and downs, I think he and I would have had a great time if we had continued on together for the whole trip.

Back to San Diego

Hierve el Agua Lower Pool
IMG_8303.jpg

Astro at Hierve el Agua "Campground"
IMG_8267.jpg

Hierve el Agua from Above
IMG_8248.jpg

Hierve del Agua all to myself
IMG_82731.jpg

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Setback happens...that's part of the adventure.

let's just hope you can get back on the road quickly and visit us in Panama!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles