Panamint City Hike

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Im hiking up Surprise canyon next month with a buddy, was wondering if anyone here has made this hike and if you could give any tips, advice or real world reports.

We'll be taking 3 days to do it. One up, one day exploring the city, enjoying it and one day back down.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Im hiking up Surprise canyon next month with a buddy, was wondering if anyone here has made this hike and if you could give any tips, advice or real world reports.

We'll be taking 3 days to do it. One up, one day exploring the city, enjoying it and one day back down.

IIRC when friends did that hike a couple years ago they mentioned hiking up through some fairly dense vegetation; the trail might disappear here and there...and there might be snow still there. We were in Pleasant and South Park canyon's the week before last and the snow line was at 5,500'...and this loop was impassable with 4x4 due to deep snow...

I personally haven't done that one but another nice hiking trail, we partially hiked, if you find yourself on the opposite side of that same hill is the trail that goes to Hungry Bill's Ranch from the top/end of Johnson Canyon (off West Side Road). This trail also takes you up and over to Panamint City too, albeit a longer hike, (or south to Porter Peak).

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Well, it was a total epic success! It was brutal for someone like me that doesn't hike very often... im sore as heck but i made it. Explored the city, a few mines, water cyn, sourdough cyn, after dinner trail, etc.. im totally hooked on PC.

Full trip report to follow!

Attachments

• THECASTLE.jpg
    THECASTLE.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 38

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles