Any pop-up truck campers sleep 5 people?

Hello - Trying to figure out all my options for a camper for a family of 5. Are there any pop up truck campers that have enough sleeping space? I've seen the shell-only models, and might consider building the interior myself, but would like to see what is on the market.

Thanks. :)

pods8

Explorer
Hello - Trying to figure out all my options for a camper for a family of 5. Are there any pop up truck campers that have enough sleeping space? I've seen the shell-only models, and might consider building the interior myself, but would like to see what is on the market.

Thanks. :)

Not really. I mean technically I could "sleep" 5 in my FWC hawk assuming we're talking some kids here (I have a kingsize pullout on the cabover and a twin sized lower bed/couch down below). However it would be a frigg'n nightmare the second anyone wanted to get up and moving you'd be all over each other.

I'm planning to build a new camper on a flatbed and a side access door with the concept of 2 adults & 2 kids snugly. I suppose you maybe could pull off 3 little kids but that assumes everyone is taking turns moving around and the kids would share a bench seat/bed... which I find optimistic. :Wow1:

Thanks for the replies. We currently tent camp, but I'm looking for camper options. I think the truck campers are a bit more rugged than a tow-behind, unless I could get a sweet Austrailian caravan.

I sort of came to the same conclusion, even if there was enough sleeping space, it would be too crowded... especially with 3 young kids bouncing all over the place!

GeoScum

Adventurer
Not fully On Topic, but we did sleep four full size adults and all our rock climbing and camping gear in a full size Chev 1/2 ton w/ 6' canopy in a full snow storm on my first trip to Red Rocks in 1987. Might not be applicable to your wants and needs though :wavey:

18seeds

Explorer
Northstar XB (Xtra Bed)

http://northstarcampers.com/NorthstarBrochurePages_1_20.pdf

see page 8

cspot-amnorthstar22.jpg

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-spotlight-029:-2008-northstar-850sc-xb/

r_w

Adventurer
SLEEP ONLY. yeah. Like to pull over for the night or if you get rained out and don't want to set up tent.

But to LIVE out of, not really. There simply isn't enough sq ft. If you carry a big screen tent to be your living room at camp and a lightweight tent for the kids in good weath, it works.

You can hang kids bunks pretty easy. They work well for kids big enough to not roll out of bed but under 100 lbs. Build them yourself out of conduit and canvas.

pods8

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We currently tent camp, but I'm looking for camper options. I think the truck campers are a bit more rugged than a tow-behind, unless I could get a sweet Austrailian caravan.

I sort of came to the same conclusion, even if there was enough sleeping space, it would be too crowded... especially with 3 young kids bouncing all over the place!

You can build (or probably buy) a decently rugged trailer so I wouldn't let that change your mind there. In my opinion the push between a trailer and truck camper has to do with foot print, maneuverability, etc. With my truck camper while poking through the woods I can still turn around in the middle of a road relatively easily, that wouldn't be the case with a trailer. Also in the city while traveling I again don't have to deal with a trailer.

On the flip side weight concerns aren't as great with a trailer and you can likely fit in more things. Also you can easily unhook the trailer and just take the vehicle when you get to your destination. Most of the light weight truck campers aren't really meant to self support on jack stands while camping (and who wants to carry the jacks anyways?). Those that do that likely are going to be heavy/bulky which doesn't really jive with your rugged criteria (in my mind).

All good points... thanks for the discussion.

I think my idea is to have a space big enough to SLEEP in bad weather, but my wife's concept might be to LIVE out of the camper. So maybe a truck camper is not quite right to meet both of our needs.

I like the pop-out on the side... great idea. We have looked at a couple 'hybrid' expandable campers and I like how compact they are to tow, but still have the bed space.

Off-loading the truck camper at a destination is something I had not thought about, probably something I wouldn't want to do. It makes a trailer seem like a better idea.

I have a trailer and have used it quite a bit for the past 5 years. I like the fact you can unhook at the destination and explore, but we have decided to sell, because we backpack and canoe camp and boat camp a lot so the camper gets less and less use as the kids grow... 8 and 10 now.

I am pondering a pop up truck camper as a sleeping option and just take less junk along! My wife is excited about the idea....

hmmmm.... 4 people in a taco pop up camper.... I guess it will need to be custom.

Good luck with your decision.

In the past, I've been of the mindset to buy something and keep it for a long time, to get the most benefit out of a purchase. I've had my current truck for over 10 years now... it looks a little aged, but still runs fine. So I've been putting a lot of forethought into a camper setup, but have come to the realization that with kids, who grow faster than you can imagine, I may need to change my setup more often than I had planned.

A trailer that has space for small kids that can't help for setup/teardown might be best for now. But as they get older (5 years from now) they will all be able to help pitch a tent, etc. It's hard for me to spend the money on something I will only have a short time though.

Thanks for the input :)

We've slept 2 adults and three kids easily, and that was just in the bed of the truck with the Flippac. We put two 6' folding tables on the bed rails and used the hammock for the third kid. This would work through about Jr. High but it is tight.

Don't forget about the cab area of the truck. In my truck, the front seats fold down flat. With the headrests removed, we've got two comfy beds. Although we haven't done it yet, we can carry and sleep six easily. So long as you're not just parking and living, it would be fine. The type of camping we do is wheeling from spot to spot, stopping when the sun starts to set so we never spend any time together in the camper except to sleep so it works.

kjp1969

Explorer
We've slept 2 adults and three kids easily, and that was just in the bed of the truck with the Flippac. We put two 6' folding tables on the bed rails and used the hammock for the third kid. This would work through about Jr. High but it is tight.

Don't forget about the cab area of the truck. In my truck, the front seats fold down flat. With the headrests removed, we've got two comfy beds. Although we haven't done it yet, we can carry and sleep six easily. So long as you're not just parking and living, it would be fine. The type of camping we do is wheeling from spot to spot, stopping when the sun starts to set so we never spend any time together in the camper except to sleep so it works.

The Flip-Pac factory demo that I saw was a full size Chev pickup with a carpet/bed kit in the bed. That would sleep two easily, plus two in the bunk and one in the hammock. The real question is where you put the portapotty (says the father of daughters. . .).

phird05

Hey kjp1969,

Forget the porta-potty....when they hit 14 or 15 years old, you'll have to find space for an entire bathroom....make-up vanity, mirrors, etc! :Wow1: Not only that, (father of the daughter) must leave the camper so she can get dressed!

Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Good Camping,

Paul

The Flip-Pac factory demo that I saw was a full size Chev pickup with a carpet/bed kit in the bed. That would sleep two easily, plus two in the bunk and one in the hammock. The real question is where you put the portapotty (says the father of daughters. . .).

10 and 12 year old daughters here. They use a shovel or a Pett toilet if that's not acceptable. Either way it's outside, out of sight. The Flippac is just for sleeping, although we have all piled in to play cards before bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles