MB 1017a dimensions/gas mileage

biggoolies

Adventurer
Hi group:
I am interested in buying a MB 1017a. But I would like to know the bed length. I am interested in putting a certain camper on it and I would like to know if it will fit. Also, what is the gas mileage on these units?

thanks in advance.

Darcy

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Last edited:

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Mercedes have always built their trucks with a number of wheelbases which the user can specify when purchasing. It is likely that the 1017s originating from the German and Danish army will all have the same wheelbase but any civilian trucks could be any one of the options offered.

I have never driven a 1017 so don’t know much about the mileage but from experience of driving similar European trucks I would say somewhere between 13 and 17mpg is about right. Remember that a European gallon is larger than an American one.

Joe

Observer
Hi,

with an additional support frame you can exceed (in Germany) 50% of the wheelbase to the rear. E. g.: Wheelbase is 3,6 meter --> /2 = 1,8 meter. so from the axle to the final end the cabine it can be 1,8 m. My cabine is 5,5 meter long. You need to remember that with such a large cabine the end of the vehicle will need more space in sharp turns.

The consumption was 26 l / 100 km, now I have a "pimped" injection pump (~200 HP now) and since then the consumption went down to 24l / 100 km. I know other guys with the 1017, lower cabins, much less weight then I hae who need 20l or less per 100km (minimum I read of was 18l but I doubt it a little bit)!!

Allroader

Observer
Hi,

Like Joe already said, it will depend on many diffrent things.
Most I spoke to will have about 20-23L on 100km with a weight around 7-8.5t. Of course driving at max. RPM will cost more fuel.
To save Diesel,
- buildt light
- try to get a AF model (Fast Axels = lower RPM at cruising)
- look at LN2 (917, 914, 1117, ....) weigh about 1t less, but will not reach the 25 year rule yet. Thats why I am selling mine.

Size of the can vary quickly, through Cab Typ and Wheelbase. But the the Standard Bundeswehr ones the messurments have been posted.

Good Luck

Mike

Nomadic

My experience after 6 years of continuous travel with a MB 1017A: 20 - 25 liter per 100 Km.

My 1017A has fast axles because it's from commercial origin. Rear has double tires fitted with Michellin XZY-2.

Average travel weight is about 9600 Kg at 11 Tons max.

Fuel consumption reduces a bit when fitting AVM hubs on the front axle.

It's the perfect vehicle for Asian journeys - height and length equals Asian trucks. OM352A Engine is similar to Iran Kodro diesel & TATA variants in Iran and India.

My 1017A will be replaced by a 1719AK in the near future;

1719AK expedition truck

Cheers!

snowfall2009

Observer
owner and workshop manuals

I am about to purchase a MB 1017a, for a family trip from Alaska to Argentina.
Does anyone have owner and workshop manuals, or any other tech info resources that will help me get to know the vehicle better?
Thanks,
Snowfall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles