How I roll....

Swica74

How I roll....

Mine is a 94 F250 gasser 5.4. About the same year Fleetwood Elkhorn camper. I say I avarage about 9mpg. I have driven it from CA to south Louisiana where I keep it. Traveling the gulf coast region mostly. A/C is the best, but limits my boondocking because of needing to plug in to run the A/C.
The original fridge just went out. So I took it in to Camping World to see if it could be fixed. Well no big suprise they couldnt fix it but luckly they had a new replacement in stock and on sale for 750.00$. Ok pricey but, I like having a fridge so give them the ok to replace it. The service manager comes to me about 15 min. later and asks me to come look at the camper. In the garage now with the tech and service manager looking at my camper and fridge they inform me that there is no way to get the old fridge out. The door is to narrow the side windows are to small as well as the top escape hatch. Let alone how would we get the new fridge back in the camper. It looks like the manufacture built the camper around the darn fridge. With nothing left to do I pack up and head out to buy more ice for the cooler. The only option Ive come up with so far is to sawzall the fridge into a couple of pieces and dispose of leaving a huge gaping hole inside my camper. I could always use the space for storage or possibly find a small dorm fridge to take its place. I could always hard mount a cooler in the empty space also.
Well anyway thats my dillema now. Other than the fridge problem its been a great camper.
Slim

Attachments

• IMG00038.jpg
    IMG00038.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG00011.jpg
    IMG00011.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG00010.jpg
    IMG00010.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 33

2500ak

Observer
Why not just get a smaller fridge, mount it, and then build a panel to hide the void space around it?

TBRV

Talk to a RV dealer that repairs fridges. The cooling unit can be removed from the fridge and replaced in the camper or have a new fridge reassembled in the unit. Cooling unit less than new fridge if fridge is in reasonable shape. Not all RV dealers replace cooling units as it is a pain.

I'm a little surprised that removing the camper door doesn't get that fridge out. It takes 10 minutes to remove the entry door, I would double check that measurement.

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
I replaced the cooling unit on a Norcold refrigerator in my Northern Lite a couple of years ago. I just laid the unit on the floor inside the camper and replaced the coils in back. Got a rebuilt unit from someplace in Ar I think, and had to send back the one I took out. I have photos somewhere, posted on RVNET. Pretty straight forward project, still working fine. Cost about 4 to 500 bucks for the rebuilt cooing unit, not that much less than a new refrigerator.

Swica74

Thanks for the ideas. I will be working on the camper in a couple of weeks. I'll let ya know what I did with it when I get it finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles