Is Bigger Better?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
So, Mike, are you saying that the cost between a smaller rig is about the same as a large one?

Just thinking out loud, sorta, seems most expedition, long haul travelers might not be out on a 6 month trip with kids.....I'd think they would either be in a private school or grown and gone as us older pharts have the time. For long trips, say 2,000 miles, I can see that being undertaken during the summer and taking the family. So good point as the rig certainly has to meet the needs in the number in the group.

I probably should have begun this thread by placing some limitations or assumptions on the question, as to say a 6 month trip, all weather conditions in North America and no vehicle shipping requirements to other countries.

Having similar costs seems odd to me. I can see having to replace an axel on an F-150 or an SUVwhere one on a Unimog may not break due to it's heavier design. OTH, I'm not convinced that you could pull a Unimog in to a garage in small town USA for a clutch problem. Going to a deisel shop seems expensive to me. A friend owns a towing company, they have several large wreckers for towing semis down the interstate and they get big bucks to tow a large unit (they don't even mess with towing cars). I'm not sure I could change a tire on a large wheeled vehicle, wheels weighing well over a hundred pounds.

Seems too that recovery equipment would add to the costs, winches, cables, shackels and jack systems. $$$

The initial expense or entry cost to a larger rig seems to be alot more, aplles to apples, a new large unit compared to a new small unit...or used respectively. Insurance and even property taxes and license, for it just to sit there could be somewhat of an issue.
Depreciation seems to be a bigger hit, at least on motorhomes on Ebay, but the higher end units, marble floors and jaccuzi pushers seem tobe in another market, just as with homes at the million dollar mark (staying rather stable or increasing).

Mike, I'm sure you know better than I having been there and done that, I'm not arguing with you, but really don't understand how the expenses couldbe about the same. I can see fuel costs being close enough in some examples of being worth the extra capacity, but what about all the other expenses?

Allroader

Observer
Hi,
Ok now with those limits it does change the outlook on some things. But let me get to the explaining:
As mentioned we wanted something bigger and looked at tons of different options. Some vehicles fell right out of the Boat, since they where to new. Creating 2 Problems; Too exspensive & to much Elktr.
Now when we started comparing:

VW Vanagon:
Base Vehicle ~ 6.000
Rebuild Trans ~ 4.000
New Engine ~ 5.000
New rubber Parts ~ 700
New tires ~ 1.500
Larger mirriors ~ 300
Higher Roof ~ 500
Insulation ~ 300
New Interior ~ 600
Fridge ~ 350
Porta Potti ~ 120
Stove ~ 150
Total = ~ 19.500

MB Truck:
Base Vehicle ~ 8.500
Surplus Tires ~ 750
Surplus Rims ~ 1.000
Insulation ~ 500
New interior ~ 700
Large fridge .~ 600
Toilet ~ 130
Stove ~ 150
Water Tanks ~ 200
Gray Water Tank ~ 200
Subframe for living quarters ~ 1.300
Windows ~ 1.000

Living quarters several ways and prices.
Cheap; Old Camper, used box or Surplus Shelter ~ 1.000
Middle. Self build ~ 3-5.000
High; Custom build starting at 10.000 and up (way up)
Total with the self build living quarters (5.000) = ~ 20.000

I must grant, that these prices where in Europe, but doing this research again here in the USA. It is very similar.

A mid 90’s one Ton truck with a Diesel will be around 5.000-8.000.
A large truck same age with less miles will be around 10.000-15.000.
Now of course you can start with the one ton and just use the engine and trans in it. Personally I want to know I will not get stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Your points with the towing is of course a point. We do carry spare Parts with us to fix the most problems, even if it is only a Temp fix and takes us couple days to do it.
As someone mentioned before it is all a tradeoff. Time for Money.

Recovery equitment is pretty similar. Of course a whinch will cost 3.500-4.000 instead of 1.800-2.000.
Sandboards are pretty much the same
Schackels might be a couple dollars different, look surplus.
Ropes and tows rapes are min apart if you look in the surplus area.
Now Value is a story that can go either way. When you start out smart and keep your eye on things, you will be able to keep everthing in reason. The general thing is always their, if you buy a new or almost new vehicle you will take a hit. I am looking in the range 13-30 year old vehicle. These give me the options to do a lot myself and they will los min value, if any. Of course, if you maintain it and so on.
Look at it this way. Some people buy a boat, bike, plane, …… and have fun. These are all Toys, just like a expo-Rig. If you only use it once a year for a week, this was a very bad investment. But if you are using it a lot, you are having a lot of fun, then this was a wise investment. Other people go to the movies a lot and get their fun that way.
You are comparing it to homes, well don’t know to much about million dollar homes. You can buy ggod deals at the time, where you will make money very quick. Or you can buy houses that are way overpriced and lose money. So samething research (Time) = Money.
Driver license can become a problem, due to air-brakes. But once they Rig becomes a RV (on paper) this problem becomes a one time hassle of getting it registered as such. Insurance & Taxes might be a problem but in the year range I am looking at, not really.

Having similar costs seems odd to me. I can see having to replace an axel on an F-150 or an SUVwhere one on a Unimog may not break due to it's heavier design. OTH, I'm not convinced that you could pull a Unimog in to a garage in small town USA for a clutch problem. Going to a deisel shop seems expensive to me.
I am not a Unimog Lover, because there is tons of stuff on the Truck I don’t need. But once it breaks it can leave me stranded. But your example with the clutch, these do last longer then on a small truck. They are not much harder to replace. Of course everything a little bigger Getting the clutch may take 2-3 Days longer, but hey where on vacation and have time.

I do now that my post will not agree with all, but it is just my two cents.
The most important thing, getting out their and having fun.
A Person with a old 1980 rabbit, with 3 Kids, 2 dogs and wife will have fun on a roadtrip with only using one tent. Sometimes we have the tendency to over think everything and forget what it is all about.

Mike

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Thanks, and good points to justify what the expense may be. I tend to go overboard as a finance guy, another way of saying I'm cheap!:ylsmoke:

I see in your example with an older vehicle and some modifications as a DIYer can bring the expenses or costs in line. How did it work out per milestraveled? SMG (Smiles per gallon as the Miata people say)?

Just one other issue I think was mentioned way up there.....that the smaller vehicle can double as a daily driver or at least for multiple purposes. A large truck with a fixed camper seems like overkill to run to the grocery store or drop off the kids at school.

That goes to the functionality and practicle use. I agree that my boat has paid for itself with the use but seems such a vehicle is really a luxury requiring much more use to payoff.

Your example was for your two vehicles and obviously you have the skills to make repairs, not everyone can do that. Just wondering too, a set of tires for my truck is about 500 dollars, how much are those huge military style tires for larger trucks? I don't know what "bigger" truck we would be talking about, but I would not be surprised if I got a bill for 3K for brakes and maybe more if it had that three pointed star on it.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Smaller is always better. But as I said before, you have to see what makes financial sense too.

I really wanted a Bigfoot 1500 but I paid less for both the Bigfoot 2500/GMC truck than any 1500 serie I could find...I am pretty sure I can sell everything back for at least what I paid for, maybe more.

The other advantage of larger camper is that they are usually bought by older/richer couple who thinks they will use it and finally, they don't use them much and keep them in great condition.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Again, I was hoping that this would really not be about me, as much as a discussion about bigger being better for a general viewpoint. I must admit, as for me, I'm leary of bigger as I know others (retirees) have gone very big and hardly moved them over 5K miles. Then in 6 or 8 years they realize it's not making financial sence and they try to sell it as a slightly used 8 or 9 year old unit....they are all over Ebay. I'm retired at 60 and while I'm confident I have many years left, I'm not sure how active I'd be in just say 5 years, Already I don't want to change tires or crawl under a vehicle and work on it. If I had to make an emergency repair, that's one thing, but I'm not a wrencher and frankly, I don't want the hassel of hooking up brake lights. Then again, I can't really pay someone to do every little thing for me either, guess I got lazy, lol. But, I would like to head off on a great (maybe last) great fling! Mostly roads, some off road as mentioned before, say up north through AK. So, I'd hate to get stuck like many others do.

Back to the needs of the masses considering a larger (or smaller) camper,,,, (or any suggestions for me, lol)

Allroader

Observer
Hi,
Well let me get to your questions and try to shed some light on my thinking.
We have split the Vehicles into 3 areas, small, middle & Big. Let me explain:

Small Rig Is for us a as example: Vanagon, Defender, G-Klasse, …. Meaning sure you can get everything into the Rig, but you will be forced to use a lot of Items outside. Or/and expanding your vehicle at the campgroud., with Pop-Top or Vehicle-attached-Tent.
This size has a lot of advantages. Mostly pretty cheap on gas/Diesel, small to fit into those tight spaces and can be used as a 2nd Car.

Medium Size Rig is for us as example: Sportsmobile, Bremach, Truck w/Slide in, …….
These Rigs have basicly everything on board you need. Kitchen, Dinnig Space, Toilet, Bed, Storage. Of course you might need to move some things around to use all items, but everything is their.
These can also be used as a 2nd Car, are reasonable on gas/diesel, are pretty easy to get into those tight areas.

These to have (for us) some problems. They are easly at the weight limit and to use them for longer trips with 2 Adults and 2 growing Kids can get cramped quickly. Even more of course when you get caught into the 2-3-5-7 Days of rain and mostly everything happens inside.

Big Rigs will include ones like: F650, F700, International 4800, Mercedes 1017, ……..
These have mostly everything on board you could wish for, Bathroom, dinning Table, ready Bed, kitchen and plenty of elbow space.
The advantage is the size, but this is a douple edged sword. You are able to carry more then enough Fuel, spare Parts, Toys, …….. With you. But this often leads to just adding and adding stuff on board, then you will be hauling 100’s or even 1000’s of Pounds of weigth around you do not need and only causes you more in fuel, also when you get stuck it is more weigth you have to dig out.

For us a Big Rig is the right choice, this does not mean any of the other ones is bad or the wrong choice, just not our choice.
But do keep the saying the smaller & ligther the better.

Even though we are going with the big one our truck is only 23’ 9” long and hoping to get the new one into the same length or as a max 26’ long. Our wheelbase on the new Truck will be under 157”
This puts our Truck size wise almost into the same area as a Crew Cab, Long bed. Though ours will be a little higher (under 12’, shooting for 11‘6“) and some what wider 98”.

see in your example with an older vehicle and some modifications as a DIYer can bring the expenses or costs in line. How did it work out per milestraveled? SMG (Smiles per gallon as the Miata people say)?
Well very high, like any unusal vehilce. ;)

Just one other issue I think was mentioned way up there.....that the smaller vehicle can double as a daily driver or at least for multiple purposes. A large truck with a fixed camper seems like overkill to run to the grocery store or drop off the kids at school.
Well it does have some advantages:
- Very high SMG.
- Meet Lots of new people.
- Be seen, hard to miss a big Vehicle.
Of course for the emergency this will work, but normally you wont do that.

Your example was for your two vehicles and obviously you have the skills to make repairs, not everyone can do that. Just wondering too, a set of tires for my truck is about 500 dollars, how much are those huge military style tires for larger trucks? I don't know what "bigger" truck we would be talking about, but I would not be surprised if I got a bill for 3K for brakes and maybe more if it had that three pointed star on it.

Well we have been learning plenty and are no where near finshed learning. Parts where (at least at Mercedes) very reasonable. Example new Brakes for the front ~200 per side, but we are talking all new Mercedes Parts.
Like I said before we are still new in the US and getting the hang of everything again. But checking and shopping around will save you money. For the tires, for example: New XZL Tires in 15.50 x 20 are about 1000+$ per Tire. But you can get them from dealers for 150$ a piece as used ones with very little miles on them. The military throws them out because of the age (Germany it is 4-5 years). I have friends that are driving 15+ year old ones and they make it pass the German Inspection.
See here some used Tires out of surplus.

To give you some Ideas of what we are talking about with Bigger:

[URL="http://www.eisenzelt.de/v2/reisen/38-reiseberichte/187-bielefeld-2011]Or here some nice action Pics: [/URL]

Hope this helps some what.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Allroader, Absolutely! Awesome vehicle BTW. Your post should be a sticky..... the categories certainly provide a base line for the decision and it makes sence to go big enough for the area to be traveled, for the crew and load required.

Excellent posts from everyone with food for thought as well!

Maybe my original question should have been better defined, but maybe not as some poor guy like me might have gone out and bought a F-700 only to find out an F-250 and a slide in would have met his real needs! So all has not been invain.

I'm close to Joplin, Mo. where a tornado devistated the city. I'm not a dooms-dayer or real survivalist type, but having something you could live in due to an emergency I believe would be a good thing. We also have ice storms and lose power in this area so I hard sided insulated rig seems to make more sence. In that case bigger would be better for almost anyone. A "bug out vehicle" is not the subject here.

I hestitate in saying bigger is better (to the contrary) what I gather from this is that you might go with a vehicle that is slightly bigger than what your anticipated requirements demand. Seems that would allow some fudge factor of collecting some stuff along the way, having someone else along for a short time or taking the dog....whatever.

I have searched the forums for a list of equipment generally taken on a long haul, say a month or two. A packing list is certainly an individual thing, but there should be a basic load. Having to travel 500 miles without a fuel stop (no stations) seems to be a reasonable goal. Something suitable for North America during all four seasons for 2 people mainly. What you have to take will certainly determine the size of the vehicle.
Any suggestions for a trip from Miami, FA to Deadhorse, AK, back down the west coast, over the Rockies, Grand Canyon. Seems that would take it all in, sandy beaches, desert, woodlands, mountains and icey roads at zero degrees. What do the experts suggest that would be big enouh, but not too big?

Allroader

Observer
Hi,
Well a short one tonight. When you start your trip stop by in Fort Myers. :elkgrin:

The trip can go from ligt Offroad to extreme. It is the question what you are looking for. What i am gathering your not into the extreme and only 1-2 people on board. So here some Ideas:

Tiger Provan
Here is one I like (not mine or anyone I know) Just like it

Some Class C 4x4

Like I said just some Ideas. Here some things i would what out for:
- stay under 24'
- or max 27' (would round down to 8 meter)
Some state and national parks have limits on the size. Rounding down to 8 meter would be for traveling Europe, but maybe in Canada Important.

Go with a Diesel. Need less fuel to reach same distance. meaning less weigth to carry. your goal 500 miles sounds very good. Our Goal is like this:
truck uses 15mpg in extreme soft sand (like the sahara) only 5-10mpg. So lets say 7.5mpg. Need a min. of 400-450 miles their = 60-70 Gallons
This might be the extreme again. But do take some exta. if the rigs avreges 15mpg, take 12 or less a Nr. Now you should be on the safe side for normal use.

Upgrade Tires to a AT Tire.
If the rear is a dually, I would convert it to a single (whach for you tire Load). This way you will not drag to Tracks though Snow, Sand or Mud.

i would try to have one Bed you don't have to make everyday.

Like always just my 2 cents.

Mike

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi, and interesting thread!

My wife and I have been living in our camper since Nov 08, although for maybe a year of that we've been living on the driveway of friends and family. England, Scotland in winter, France and now Morocco.

We bought it on a Unimog U1300l chassis and built by the previous owner, and drove around the UK and France for about 18 months. It was 6.5m long, 4m high, the height being forced by having a fixed box (no pop) with double bed in the cabover. The 1300 is a 7.5ton chassis, so when we discovered how overweight the box was we thought the quickest and simplest way of becoming legal is to swap to a heavier mog. Its now a U1700, and weighs in travelling trim 9.5tons. To redress the tail heavy nature we have a storage box on the front bumper holding 5x20l jerrycans, adding 500mm to the camper length but giving a better ride.

The 1300 averaged 12mpg consistantly, now we do 10 (UK mpg of course!) and are mostly the slowest vehicle on the road in civilised parts.

We have 1 cubic metre of garage storage, whch is a little small, for tools, spares, table and chairs, bbq, petrol twin burner stove, part of the Little Giant step ladder, chain hoist etc etc.

Inside there is an L shaped dinette with removable table and "sofa" extension, on a false floor with heating, 260l water tank and 2x255Ah AGM's underneath. There is a good sized shower room with marine toilet and plastic fold down sink (compact and convenient, but not easily replaced if it cracks). 70l grey tank, 70l black tank underslung which has frozen occasionally. (A cassette would be easier, but does that require chemicals, making wild dumping a no-no?) 3 burner stove with oven, we now have an Omnia which we can make bread, apple crumble, cakes etc and really wish we didn't have a built in oven! A pressure cooker has also been fab. We have one 11/13kg sized gas bottle for cooking only. Room for a second bottle of some description for when the big one empties would be handy, smaller bottles are a lot more pricey though. A bottle swap is £22 in the UK, about £4 (butane only) in Morocco :) Refilling your nice, tested, dent free UK bottle in Morocco is not possible. Room for a big bag of fresh veg, a stack of firewood, and even space to seperately divide your rubbish into food (peelings etc), burnable and other would be very good without the clutter it now creates
We have loads of clean storage inside, so we have loads of stuff. We did initially carry lots of things like books on learning leathermaking and the materials for it, thinking time off work means time to do all sorts of things, but that time never materialised.

We have a PreMac water filter which has 3 cartridges and lasts 20-30000l of drinking water, but is bulky. We also discovered on one occasion that one big flat water tank makes it hard to get the last 20l out if you need to, and with no power you can't use the water filter, so we now have a seperate jerrycan with 20l of water and manual back up filtering!

Having seperate kitchen, bathroom, diner and bedroom areas makes it easy to keep out of each others way if needed, and is a very good reason we would not want to go much smaller.

Some inside pics before wallpapering etc ;)

http://www.moglet.co.uk/page11.html

Camping in England is pretty much campsites only, elsewhere is probably illegal and you will most likely be moved on by the Police, so expanding your camper on a proper campsite with awnings etc is easy, elsewhere not really possible.

In Scotland you can AFAIK legally park anywhere, for a night or two, and the signs that say no overnight parking are illegal :) But awnings etc would make moving on difficult if someone took offence, and would make what you are doing obvious.

France is set up for camping, and is a lovely place to do it year round. They have "Aires", which are for campervan "parking", not "camping", so in theory even a table and chairs and a wind out awning aren't allowed, for the same reason no caravans. An expanded camper set up would not really work here, and the French like parking as close as you would in a superstore carpark, so often there is no room to do so. They are either very cheap, or free, maybe a few Euros for 100l of drinking water. In the ski resorts the Aire facilities are often in an insulated box, so for a cassette no problems, but you need a container to transfer your blacktank contents or a lot of hose. European campsites are set up for cassettes often making a built in tank a real pain. The campsites are pretty much all good, but can be pricey, and along the French Med ridiculously cramped. One I stayed in with a tent there was no room to put the guyropes out. 20 miles inland is often empty even in August. Wildcamping is fairly easy especially away from tourist bits and off season, but discreet is still good so awnings etc won't help.

Morocco also has kind of Aires, as well as a fair few campsites of very varying quality. You would not choose to use many of the toilet facilities! Noone has yet minding us wildcamping, but finding a tap is sometimes hard, and it may well not be drinkable even from a campsite, as they themselves, and indeed the whole town (Mhamid for example) is 20km from fresh water with an unreliable supply. Their own boreholes supply salty water OK for washing once you've taken the wildlife out, but my inline filter will not only not touch the salt of course, but the manufacturer tells me this will reduce its life considerably. Asking to fill my 260l tank with potable water is to them as sensible as going to the moon for lunch.
Here there is also the fact that a woman has to be fully clothed. A western woman may get away with a little, but even with arms, legs and hair pretty much covered many men can still be disgustingly offensive though only if my wife is alone, perhaps walking 5mins from a campsite to get fresh bread. And this is not a strict country by any means. Shutting the camper door on that is highly valued.

The above is a little OTT, and totally O/T if this thread is OP specific and only for the USA, but in our experience, for where and the type of weather we've travelled in, inside room that does not need dismantling to move is a godsend!

However :)

When travelling south through France we wanted to enter Spain via Andorra. Unfortunately our height meant we could not, with either bridges or tunnels stopping us. One road from Spain was big enough, but we'd need a huge detour to reach it, and the same route out again, so our size made the decision to not go there. The UK has a lot more size restrictions, but the mapping quality makes route planning easy. I won't know what we're missing on these detours though! And the smaller more interesting lanes won't be used to big vehicles even if there are no man made known restrictions, so our camper has hit a few trees in her time. Spain seems to have no maps showing heights etc at all, although bridges do once you've reached them! Not having much infrastructure at all Morocco doesn't have much of a problem in that respect :)

In Morocco we recently spent 3 days driving either on piste on very minor roads, having filled with diesel at the start, and the map showing fuel at the end. There were two 5 ton weight limit bridges shown on the Michelin map which we hoped to be able to ford instead, and at the end one 15 ton limit. The small bridges had long been washed away, but the suspension bridge at the end turned out to be only 5 ton. The older bridge some years before was 12 tons we were told, so I don't know where Michelin got their 15 ton info from. The fuel was still a good few km ahead, but I don't think we had enough left to retrace our route as it was all steep slow going. We had one 20l can for diesel which the smaller vehicle we were travelling with could have spent a day shuttling back and forth filling us up, then 3 days to retrace our steps. But bridges are built with a big safety factor aren't they surely, and none of the local's lorries can have a clue if they're either slightly or hugely overladen?! What would you do?

Start the trip with a smaller vehicle?!

Smaller also possibly means new? ie, older mog vs new Landy? Our mog is definitely well built, and although shows only 23000km is that a true figure, what did its former owners put it through? Take it to a garage before your trip and ask them to change everything showing dubious levels of wear is OK, asking them to change everything that might break while you're on some remote track requires a crystal ball. We currently have a few squeaks, but there is no garage to take it to for reassurance.

So go with a new vehicle and perhaps you gain reassurance in that respect, but also a huge can of electronic worms that are as unfixable on a remote piste as a failure of a part you don't have the space to carry. In Morocco if we get stuck there is nothing for miles big enough to pull us out. If we break down there is nothing big enough to tow us. There mostly is nothing to winch from, and anywhere there actually are trees they are really old, stunted and too small. If we travel to places that required the Mogs capabilities to get us there, it follows that you would need a Mog to get to us to help. That is all a little negative, but I have to say that each new weird little noise that pops up dwells in my mind, and without a definite answer regarding its cause or seriousness I find it hard to deal with. I'm responsible for us in the vehicle I chose, but putting us at risk knowing I can't fix everything isn't easy. Would a new vehicle have fewer issues, would a smaller vehicle have smaller and more managable problems?

Some of the pistes we've been on are very rough, often it seems from tour groups travelling at high speed unladen. In retrospect we should have taken more air out of the tyres, but those rocks looked sharp! While the Landcruisers etc shot past at 40kph, we rarely exceeded a painful 10.

As has been said the tyres are expensive and heavy. Deals are there to be had, but not when I needed to buy some when we started out (on the smaller sizes for the 1300 at least). A couple of the older rims leak a little despite sealing paste/lube, which if you are lazy and are parked for a while, you need to reseat them. (Same with a puncture, as pressure loss makes the tyre debead, so fixing it with a plug may work, but reseating with ether needs taking the wheel off. I've never got the bike inner tube thing to work?!) Cleaning the bead means taking them apart, while they are flat on the floor. This isn't hard, but I'm 40 and reasonably strong. No way could my wife do it alone, and if I was ill or injured neither could I. Thats on the flat on tarmac. On a steep piste? Tying something to the tyre to stop it rolling just a little to quickly too? We can use the hoist to pull the tyre upright if needed, but thats at the back. A lifting point above each corner would be a good idea.

So for us it depends on the time of day! Sometimes a new 6 ton T-Rex Bremach with a small custom pop top would be an expensive ideal, sometimes having a north south bed that the width of that dictates is too restricting! Save up for an equally pricey nearly new mog and get a small Alaskan on the back, running a ton or more inside its gross? Staying at home on the sofa cos its all too much hassle?!?! We've met quite a few people with a Landy sized vehicle with roof tent who wonder why we need all Moglets space, but they could not easily and comfortably be parked up at the foot of a Hebridean lighthouse in winter with the Atlantic trying to pull the cliff down we're parked on! We didn't sleep much, but it was fun! :) We've yet to go anywhere that you actually could go fully "off road" to a decent extent even if you wanted to, trail breaking as it were, but despite that our clearance, traction, small turning circle (3250 wheelbase) and even just its presence has been handy quite often, but much longer would have been a problem mostly where U-turns would not be nice! Wildcamping actually out of sight is pretty much impossible though.

A bath under the sofa is a cool idea though, maybe with a portaporti in it? Our loo door is not noise or smell proof anyway!

No apologies for such a huge post :Wow1:, but well done if you've got this far!!!:ylsmoke:

Jason

:)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
:Wow1: Maybe a little OT but interesting comments Jason. And it seems it really does matter where your stmping grounds will be.

Mike, as for me, yes you're right. I'm learning there is not that much difference between say and Astro getting 16 mpg and an F-350 Class C or a diesel Uni/box truck. As for me, I'm getting pretty well sold on the Astro/Safari route with a dual sport bike on the back.

But, originally, the question, is bigger better seems to be unanswered in many ways. There are so many aspects and alternative ways, to travel. Just in my area, most parks won't let a skoolie in, keeping out the riff raft as Jason mentioned. Bigger is going to mean a Class A and $$$$$. It also means restricted travel areas, asyou mentioned 24' would be something to manuver in most wooded areas. Some thing smaller to sleep in, prepare a simple meal in bad weather, having a port-a-pottie, has clear advantages.

Seems a box under a couch with a liner in it could surve for bathing and a drain hose.

(Which reminds me, I saw a guy who used a small kiddie swimming pool, sitting in it soaping up in a screened in tent.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94