POD: Homebuilt foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper build thread

pods8

Explorer
I like the idea of a door within a door a lot more that a split door/dutch door that involves the upper section. The door within a door should be very stable and anything else not so much.

Yeah I'm settled on that part for sure, no brainer when I think about it. Just trying to figure out door jamb design now, I think the sketch I posted would likely be the easiest and work but the floor is open for suggestions over the next few days.

indiedog

Adventurer
Pods, for the door jamb, could you not just use some alum angle/flat/Z shape fixed to the inside? There are a number of seals around which will then slip onto the edge to seal against the door when closed. Bit like the old pinchweld with a rubber bubble on the side. Means you aren't trying to build something too fidly with fibreglass, just a simple square edged cutout. Bit like the one below from an Australian site.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 9.32.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 9.32.20 AM.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 110

pods8

Explorer
That's a good suggestion for consideration to stew over. First blush the lip I was thinking could be painted to blend into the inside more and would hide the gasket from inside view as well (my first envision of your suggestion I would see the edge of the clip seal). I'll toss that into the tumbler of ideas I got rattling around. :)

pods8

Explorer
Slowly still chipping away, life, newborn (and the other two young ones), the heat, and an issue with a neighbor (so I try to avoid power tool late or long, unfortunately later works better on the family front).

Anyways door is mostly shaped now, time consuming to build. Need to epoxy in the jamb part still and cut in all three catch plates but generally ready for glass after that. The gasket surface is 1/4" setback on both doors to leave room for a gasket. Gap is also around 1/4" so should swing fine but need to double check. Gasket surface is about 3/4" wide so overlap should be good to go.

Jamb
10B7CB09-8CAA-4491-A13A-707E402F5469-4752-000005020A34960C_zps7eeb6583.jpg

Doors
E0D9C816-1B84-447C-856E-5FD7EC5F2EAC-4752-0000050202BA1320_zpsf6898ec5.jpg

Access door jamb
11725510-FAB1-4705-BC3F-5B3B8B025F0F-4752-00000501FB3D9372_zpsfa52d430.jpg

Taper to build up access door jamb
D36377A4-7DA2-4E13-AA06-4196DE611482-4752-00000501F3A094F4_zps2b407da2.jpg

pods8

Explorer
I was thinking perimeter snaps/Velcro/magnets around the outer door for putting up a screen material. Concern with the lower door would be having that open and then opening the big door would bang it into the side of the camper.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I was thinking perimeter snaps/Velcro/magnets around the outer door for putting up a screen material. Concern with the lower door would be having that open and then opening the big door would bang it into the side of the camper.
A small keeper strap on the inside could limit the opening travel. You could velcro right past it without worry.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Looking good Pods8, I'm in Broomfield and work in Boulder if you ever need another set of hands. I built a camping trailer and know how handy it is to have someone else look things over sometimes or give some insights. If you ever get in a punch give me a holler.

magentawave

Adventurer
Pods - Your camper looks awesome and I really like the look of the Monstaliner finish. I was going to use Monstaliner on my rig but at three times the cost of paint I decided I'll shoot a 2K high solids sandable primer to minimize some of the waviness in my fiberglass shell instead. I know how great the temptation is to make what you're building look better but I was curious as to why you didn't hold off on the Monstaliner until after the interior was done in case you damaged it while doing the interior? Of course Monstaliner is super easy to re-apply if needed later anyway though.

magentawave

Adventurer
Do you know anything about that TSF-45 stuff beyond whats on their website? I'm going to call them tomorrow. If its a lot cheaper than Monstaliner, and will work for my application, and can produce a heavy smooth orange peel finish like Monstaliner then maybe I'll go with that instead of paint.

How about something like this product for a "textured coating"?
http://precisionboard.com/products/texture-coating/
Watch the video they have.
It looks like there might be more texture options than the monstaliner.

pods8

Explorer
Been on an extendo break, reality of 3 little kids set in once #3 cleared the mostly all sleeping stage (along with still trying to pursue some other things in life). Life is calming down again, relatively..., I'll be starting to chip away again near term but have been dragging my feet a tad as we've been looking for a different rental house (#3 is still sleeping in our room, we need another bedroom) and its currently in a good spot to just lower the top and add on jack brackets to get it onto my truck to move. Status is basically per post #340 still. Sorry nothing more exciting to report. :(

stomperxj

Explorer
No worries Pods...Life and kids are important. I am personally waiting patiently for updates. I know they will come when you are settled...

Good luck with the house hunting:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles