Hand built hard-side, pop-up camper

Home Skillet

Observer
Update on Titan Expedition Vehicle

Sorry Everyone. I've been MIA for some time now and am just getting back to some of these older threads.

The Titan Expedition Vehicle is holding up great. Now in its 3rd year, the rig and camper are doing great! The shell itself is perfect with no appreciable deffects or delamination since completion. I have had a electric ram (one that raises the pop-up roof) go bad for some unknown reason and had to replace it. Also the on-demand hot water heater froze over the winter and burst a copper pipe and had to be replaced (guess I didn't winterize well enough). Other than that it has performed wonderfully.

I did (with some help from Ms. Flutterby) redo the interior to be a little more homey and functional. It really looks nice and IS more comfortable to be in when out and about.

I've taken it out in 100 degree weather in the desert and in -5 degree weather in the mountains. Boy, does that insulation make a difference! I've still got a list of tweaks that I'm slowly working on. That list will likely never get smaller though. There is always room for improvement.

I'll have some new pics of the interior on hookedupfilmsdotcom soon and some of our adventures and the vehicle in action.

As far as cost goes, this build totalled out at around $7800 or so completed with interior components and decals. Not bad for a completely custom job that is showing all the signs of lasting a very long time.

Cheers to all you currently building or contemplating a build...
Home Skillet

pods8

Explorer
Cool, glad to hear its still going well. I caused a couple delam's in mine while using heat blankets to work in the colder winter temps but upon further testing realized I could get the surface of the fiberglass up to 170F! Happy to hear in normal conditions yours is holding up fine.

I sorta slacked on mine last summer but I've taken to it this winter/spring and I'm plugging along. Currently sanding out the top half and getting it rough faired out for paint. Then the bottom half (still need to make the door and flip up walls though).

I have had a electric ram (one that raises the pop-up roof) go bad for some unknown reason and had to replace it.

Electrical stuff fails at times, not much to be said there. I just ordered 5 off the bat and will carry the spare with me so I'll be good to go right away and can order in a new spare if needed.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Very cool. Not what I expected to see, usually when I see "hand built/homemade camper" I envision some hack with some wood scraps and old aluminum siding stapled together... not the case with this build. You are giving me all kinds of bad ideas :sombrero:

Home Skillet

Observer
5.5 Years and still Kicking

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I posted but after 5+ years of adventures, travel, and tons of fun I felt it was time to check in.

As some of you know I custom built my current Overland Vehicle by hand in my garage. Some of you even followed along. You might be interested to know that this build has exceeded even my expectations and is still functioning like the day I finished it. Of course I have made small tweaks over the years but essentially it is the same rig.

Basically, The "Titan Expedition Vehicle" is ready to head out for another year! Looking forward to Spring!

Titan Expedition 1.jpg

Titan Expedition 2.jpg

Titan Expedition 3.jpg

Titan Expedition 4.jpg

MrSandman818

INaVANdownBYtheRIVER
I love this camper so much. Read through your entire build thread on your fishing site. You helped inspire me on building something similar to yours. I hated the idea of tent material to help keep the weather out.

Noticed you were selling this recently, and I sent you a message on vimeo. Wondering why you were selling.... Starting a new one? ;)

I'm planning a build inspired by this one, trying to put a full camper on a 1st gen tacoma.

Still have some questions, but a bunch were answered in this thread--some good pics of stuff missing from the videos I've been able to track down....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier