Fobus Holster Vehicle Mount

UNI

Adventurer
Has anyone used the Fobus Holster Vehicle Mount?

Fobus Roto-Holster Systems

uvm.jpg

UNI

Adventurer
I was thinking of mounting it in the Jeep, along the dash councel. It looks like it would hold the pistol pretty secure, not bouncing around. The holster clips off the mount and you can clip on a waist paddle. So your using the same holster a couple different ways. What do you think?

UNI

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I was thinking of mounting it in the Jeep, along the dash councel. It looks like it would hold the pistol pretty secure, not bouncing around. The holster clips off the mount and you can clip on a waist paddle. So your using the same holster a couple different ways. What do you think?

UNI

I like it. It's very hard to draw when seatbelted in, not to mention it can be uncomfortable.

Being as it uses the same holster, it seems like it would be an easy transition from belt to Jeep/Jeep to belt.

Going to check my .45 Fobus holster to see if it's a rotary style.

Bought it used at a gun shop, and never looked to see if the paddle comes off like the set up you linked to.

I have a small strip on my CJ centerconsole to clip my holster to, but I haven't found a convenient place in the XJ yet.

Might have to try this out.

UNI

Adventurer
Hill, Bill E.

Here is a spin pic, that shows you a 360 degree view of the product. You can kinda see how the holster and paddle are attached.

UNI

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
That's really cool, and a great idea. I have been considering a better way of carrying in my truck and was actually considering buying another paddle holster to disassemble and mount in my center console. Right now it just goes into a padded, soft sided case in the center but that is not very easily accessible when timing counts.

UNI

Adventurer
Chili,

I'm doing the same thing right now, but I'm using a padded pistol case. I'm looking into this product.

TomMonkey

I've never used the vehicle mount, but I have used Fobus holsters before and I can confidently say they are among the worse holsters ever made.

They are made of a cheap plastic that is to flexible and does not provide sufficient retention. And the different pieces of plastic are held together with rivets that easily brake off.

A better choice that you should look at is the Kingston Car Seat Holster made by Desantis or the Blackhawk Serpa holster with the Quick Disconnect Kit.

I use the Kingston everyday at work and I'm very happy with it, but it might not provide the retention you might want on an offroad vehicle. I've never used the Serpa with the Quick Disconnect before but I use the regular Serpa holsters regularly. They are very well built and have a very well designed retention system that is very natural to use.

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
I've never used the vehicle mount, but I have used Fobus holsters before and I can confidently say they are among the worse holsters ever made.

They are made of a cheap plastic that is to flexible and does not provide sufficient retention. And the different pieces of plastic are held together with rivets that easily brake off.

A better choice that you should look at is the Kingston Car Seat Holster made by Desantis or the Blackhawk Serpa holster with the Quick Disconnect Kit.

I use the Kingston everyday at work and I'm very happy with it, but it might not provide the retention you might want on an offroad vehicle. I've never used the Serpa with the Quick Disconnect before but I use the regular Serpa holsters regularly. They are very well built and have a very well designed retention system that is very natural to use.

Good firsthand experience, thank you. I have a Serpa 2 and am very happy with it. That is the style I was considering breaking down to use for this purpose.

java

Expedition Leader
i have a leather galco that i took the paddle off of and mounted inside my console with the screws the paddle usually goes into. works great.

robert

Expedition Leader
I'll second the comment about the Fobus holsters being cheap. I've had a couple that were given to me over the years and I've ended up throwing them away as no one wanted them. I've thought about mounting a holster on my center console several times but I really don't want anyone seeing it. I've thought that a Jak slide style might be a better choice as it doesn't look like a holster and would work with different guns. You could always fit a velcro starp to it if you needed more security i.e. better retention while offroading.

UNI

Adventurer
i have a leather galco that i took the paddle off of and mounted inside my console with the screws the paddle usually goes into. works great.

Just curious, do you have any pics you could share?

Viggen

Just here...
That's really cool, and a great idea. I have been considering a better way of carrying in my truck and was actually considering buying another paddle holster to disassemble and mount in my center console. Right now it just goes into a padded, soft sided case in the center but that is not very easily accessible when timing counts.

What do you do/ where do you live that you need to have a pistol "easily accessible when timing counts?" Im a gun owner and active shooter but can not think of any reason for a private citizen to have a loaded pistol in a holster next to their drivers seat. You also might want to check your states gun transportation laws as something like this would be illegal in Va, unless you have a CCP. You have to transport a firearm in plain site and unloaded. You can have one loaded but it needs to be in an "enclosed space like a trunk."

Chili

Explorer
What do you do/ where do you live that you need to have a pistol "easily accessible when timing counts?" Im a gun owner and active shooter but can not think of any reason for a private citizen to have a loaded pistol in a holster next to their drivers seat. You also might want to check your states gun transportation laws as something like this would be illegal in Va, unless you have a CCP. You have to transport a firearm in plain site and unloaded. You can have one loaded but it needs to be in an "enclosed space like a trunk."

Thankfully I do not live in VA. Texas law does allow individuals to carry in their vehicles with certain limitations. I am very familiar with Texas gun laws and I carry according to those laws. I choose to carry a firearm for personal protection and to exercise the right granted to me as a US Citizen. If you are looking to draw me into a debate on when / why citizens should carry a firearm then I will politely decline as this is not the thread nor venue, IMO, to have that discussion.

If you are interested in debating why some individuals choose to arm themselves and exercise their legal rights might I suggest visiting a forum such as Opencarry.org.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz