How to get waypt's in order with oziexplorer?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So I am moving along and using google earth and some 4x4 books to check out likely trails.
Here is my problem..
I input the gps coord from the book to make some beginning waypts then I go back and fill in more detail with more waypts. I title them things to keep them in order like Charouleau Gap 1, 2, 3.... or Charouleau Gap A, B, C, to AA, AB....
However when I save it as a .kml file and import to ozi they are out of order, and when I sort they still don't go in order either by number or letter...
I get 1,11,12,2,3 or A, G, F , AA , E
Am I completely out of wack...missing something simple??
Help as I can't image mapping a really long trip and having to manually sort these.
enjoy
1leglance

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Number them 01, 02, 03,....10, 11, etc. If you expect to get into the tripple digits add more leading zeros: 001, 002,.....010, 011,.....100, 101, etc.
Exercise: extend for n digits :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So here I am at work and the numbering with zeros helped some but in the end I had to do a goofy work around since it seems that google earth list them in the order they were created.
I started with the few waypts from the Overland Journal Article on Death Valley (by the way when is the best time of year to do this trip?).
Then I went back and added more to fill in the gaps on turns and intersections. Also I found a different way out to the Park Headquarters.
So I ended up with 55 waypts numbered & named 01-55.
Then I put them in a folder called Death Valley and saved the .kml file. I imported this into ozi using the "import google waypts".
Eventhough it let me sort & order the waypts when I went to create a route they went back to the order that google earth created them. So I resorted and saved the waypts in ozi under the name death valley.
Now when I opened them as waypts and created a route they were in the number order I wanted.
Sorry if this is common knowledge to others but there is no mention in the help file or on the net as to how to do the order thing...or maybe it is just me :)
thanks for the help from everyone, especially uwe!
now to try importing more DOQ's...hey uwe feel like taking on Socal? :)
enjoy
1leglance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne