An Axe - Seriously?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Jack sez:
ax.jpg

craig333

Expedition Leader
Got a little surprise on the pay check (back pay) and really wanted the Gransfors but I could never mount one of those on the outside of the camper. I'm sure the Fiskars will do just fine and I won't cry if its stolen.

ripperj

Explorer
As ridiculous as an idea as it seems , the High Lift multi tool thingy is pretty nice. Two piece metal handle with stout shovel blade, axe, sledgehammer and pick/hoe (madox?)
The shovel is nice to use, but could be a bit longer handle. I’m going to weld up a tee handle for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Not thinking that I am Paul Bunyan or a part of a Monty Python lumberjack skit...
I have not (in more than 50 years) needed an ax camping (or even limbing dropped trees).
However, since some one thought they needed my USGI Mini pick mattock more than I; a replacement had to be resurrected from long term storage...
In the vehicle now is a mini USGI combination mattock ax (matt-ax) as now a part of my mini pioneer tool kit/rack (along with the trifold shovel and the Svensaw.) ..
http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_pioneer_tools.php
While the full sized tools are easier to use, I don't need them often enough to justify the space/weight.
I don't ever expect to ever use the ax part but the mattock and shovel are handy for cleaning out fire pits.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Motafinga

Adventurer
Personally my chainsaw and shovel are among the only things in my kit that get used nearly every time I'm out. I haven't paid for firewood in years because of the saw and I don't camp near toilets or carry one so.... I do have a small hatchet for splitting or making kindling though

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well my ax rides right next my shovel on my rack, great for splitting wood, hammering or breaking ice seeing how we only get a couple months of warm weather here.

The Raven

I use a small Gransfors Bruks for cutting small firewood. I also have a small saw but the axe works better. Great weapon too if needed.

the deputy

Axe is handy, but makes for exhausting work here in Michigan. You get into the big woods camping and a wind storm developes overnight...you may cut through the first few trees with ease...but after about twenty or so...and your arms will be wishing they were holding a chainsaw. For those that don't carry a chainsaw, best time to wheel/explore is in the fall, after the bear hunters have cleared most/all of the trails (while running their hounds).

Sure you can probably travel some of the major trails year round, but for the trails less traveled...you'll be turning around a lot. And, in my opinion...that's not what I'm out there for. Backtracking/turning around is painful to the "get-where-l-intended-to-go" mindset.

Brian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles