235/85/16 w/ OME 885 & Dakar leafs

SLOwag

Adventurer
So,
I'm finally putting on the full OME package with 7pack Dakar leafs, Nitrocharger sport shocks and 885's, will upgrade once I add bumpers, etc up front, but I think that is at least six months away. I'm looking to net about two inches based on my research.

I've drilled down to the tire I would like to use (GY Duratrac on stock rims) in the size shown in the title, I don't think 255's are going to fit.....and the Duratrac isn't offered in a 255.

Is anybody running a 235 with the same suspension specs as I have? What are your impressions and opinions, and do you have any photos?

Much appreciated.

Last edited:

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
I have an 06 double-cab with an ARB bumper. I run the 886 spring with the OME leaf pack. The 255 size tire fits well with this combination.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
I don't have the same suspension....

BUT FWIW:
I do have the 235's (treadwright crawler) on stock wheels, with Bilstein 5100's set at 1.75" lift. Looks pretty normal. Wish I had the full OME :)

Tim A

Adventurer
The 235s will look small if you care about that at all. I run 255s on 2" of front lift, 1.5" rear and also run all 4 flaps. I did do a fair amount trimming in the fender well and on the front flaps themselves.

265s might be a good middle size to look at

my $0.02

SLOwag

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure if I'm too far off track in my thinking. The stock tires measure 30.5 dia with a footprint of 8.5 after 25k miles, the 235/85's I'm looking at measure 31.7 with a section width of 9.3.
As you can see the stock tires don't quite fill the wheel wells......I think a 32 inch tire might be a good choice for me.

Attachments

• Duratrac.pdf
    27.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 56

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I bought some 235/85 R16 Nexen Roadian MT's to give a try. They're 10 ply, 31.7x 9.3" and have lasted well so far. I've got about 23,000 miles on them and they're still in good shape. I'd say they've worn maybe 1/3 of the tread. Best part is they were $420 installed. I don't know the price now, but if I can get them for that price again, I'll do it. Not many 10 ply tires out there.

dnellans

Adventurer
I'm on an 04 tacoma that I've had since new. Immediately went to 2inch lift donahoes + camburg UCA + new leafpack in the rear giving me about 3 inches (was hoping it would settle a bit but never did so its a bit stinkbug looking).

Immediately changed out the stock 265/70r16 long trails for
BFG AT 265/75r16's and they were great no rubbing at all once I got an alignment which moved them "forward a bit.

When those wore out I went to cooper ST 255/85r16's. I likes the "look" of the tire and the fact they were more narrow than the 265/75's but didn't like the tire or the fact that at full stuff they always rubbed. Great tires for dry/mud but were noticeably worse in snow/ice than the AT due to far less siping. There was a noticable decrease in gas milage as well (1-2mpg)

Moved back to SLC where snow/ice more important than the dry/mud so went back to BFG AT (235/85r16). I considered going back to 265/75's, and there is no BFG AT in 255/85. I'm super super happy with the 235/85r16. the Cooper ST is suprisingly narrow for a 255/85 and going to the 235/85 in the AT is actually just as wide across the tread. at the 235 size I get no rubbing at full stuff anymore.

This is definitely the size I'm going to stick with from here on out on this truck.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Here is a pic of my 235/85r16's. Front is ever so slightly "stuffed" due to being up on the rock. I also have slightly less lift.
I had 265/75's before, and the diameter is basically identical, and looks exactly the same from the side. The 235's are noticeably more narrow...but not in a bad way IMHO.

Elephant Hill by fifthcircle, on Flickr

235's unmounted : 265's mounted

IMAG0158 by fifthcircle, on Flickr

235's from behind

IMAG0163 by fifthcircle, on Flickr

BTW, the best thing you will ever do is get rid of those stock "rugged" trails. They SUCK! :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94