Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
looks good, i love my ST's and when the time come was gonna upgrade to a 33" or 35" ST but i think i'll have go with these now, haha

Airmonger

Adventurer
Just bought a set of St Maxx 285 75 16 for my 80 series, I had never heard of them till I was in the shop today. Cant wait to try them out.

Fargo

Adventurer
Thanks for posting. I've been waiting to see what these look like. I wonder if the ST will adopt this same tread design in the future? The big advantage with the Maxx ST of course is the 3ply sidewall. The disadvantage is the weight, But they look good.

Airmonger

Adventurer
Received the LX back from the tire shop yesterday and extremely pleased with the look of the S/T MAXX, but I am probably still on a high from the smell of new tires. I'm excited to see how they handle the deep snow tomorrow.

lexus-11.jpg

lexus-10.jpg

Cheers to being a Guinea Pig.

NDMORETIME

What price did you pay?

After seeing these on your tundra I went down to a local discount tire today and was blown away by the price they told me. They want $280 per tire for a 285/75/16. I nearly told them to call there rep or corporate and double check there price. Another shop in town told me they had received notification by there rep about this tire but that they have no price or availability listed in there computer. I am looking for a happy medium between a AT and a MT. I am planning to move to colorado and I need the tire to be sipped but also stand up to the AZ rocks for the time being. But man do I need new tires:victory: Ater driving on these for a little while do you think the E rating would be a little to much for a 3rd gen 4runner?

Airmonger

Adventurer
They want $280 per tire for a 285/75/16.

I was $960 out the door with 285 75 16 and that was probably a little high, but I like that tire shop and they dropped off and picked up my rims for powder coating.

After driving on these for a little while do you think the E rating would be a little to much for a 3rd gen 4runner?

I aired down to 10 psi last night on a snow run and the tires get pretty wide for an E rating. It looks like the bend right where the sidewall tread ends and the normal sidewall starts. I was pretty impressed with them. We did a 7 hour snow run on mostly hard pack, but I didn't get stuck once even when roaming off into the deeper stuff. That was with an 80 series.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I'm at $907 after s&h and a local mount and balance. More than I wanted to pay, but Beth was happy it was under a grand....

The tires should ride fine on a Runner. You'll have to play with the air pressure a bit to get them to wear and ride just right. Right now I'm at 34f and 28r psi for the Tundra....it rides nice and looks like the contact patch is nearly full tread....

sven

Adventurer
I got a quote from my local tire shop, $771 out the door for 235/85/16 installed. Is this a good price?

Damn, I really miss the old style ST tread pattern.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I got a quote from my local tire shop, $771 out the door for 235/85/16 installed. Is this a good price?

Damn, I really miss the old style ST tread pattern.

Tread Depot has the Maxx for 145 a tire plus free shipping on orders over $400

That's $580 plus whatever your mount and balance would be....see if your shop would price match that.....

sven

Adventurer
Tread Depot has the Maxx for 145 a tire plus free shipping on orders over $400

That's $580 plus whatever your mount and balance would be....see if your shop would price match that.....

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Treadepot is the way to go then.

ExpoMike

Good find on Tread Depot. I am going to use their quote to see if Discount will price match. Looking at 285/75-16. I am really leaning towards these but here is my list of what I am considering.

Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx
Bridgestone Dualer REVO II's (have REVO's on my Cherokee and have been really happy with them)
BFG A/T KO's
Pro Comp Xtreme A/T

Still on the fence but these Coopers are looking good. Since I mainly do the southwest desert areas, do you think these will work well for desert dirt/sand/rocks that I am likely to be driving in or would one of the above work better?
Hankook DynaPro M/T

ExpoMike

Well... I did a bunch of reading review of the previous Cooper ST models and found people not have a great return on mileage out of the tires. 30,000 and time to replace was kind of common to read. Since these haven't been out long enough to get a read on how long they will last, I decided to go with something that seems to have gotten good reviews for use and lifespan... BFG A/T KO's. Just couldn't afford to take a risk at this point on tires. Seem everyone compares tires to the BFG A/T's so that's gotta be worth something.

Very interested to hear some long term usage reports from people. If they are getting 40K out of them and work well, they may be what I'll replace the BFG's with. Sorry for the hijack. :)

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
no sweat on the hijack.

I really preferred the ST over the BFG AT. I had both and the ST was able to do everything the AT did and more. Better tire IMO, similar abilities in all conditions except mud where the ST did much better, and I was one of those getting high mileage out of the ST.

I think these will be great offroad and if I get 40,000 out of them I'll be happy....

dallas

I orderdered these tires last week in 265/75R16 for my Landrover D2 from Tread depot.

I used to run the Bridgestone A/T Revo's, they where a great tire and a lot better than the previous BFG AT KO. I wanted to try a tire with more void, and stronger sidewalls, my only fear was would my mpg drop of with these tires.

The Revo's got 1.5 more mpg than the Bfg A/T/KO.

I will make sure to post my impressions on the Maxx once I get some miles on them. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles