Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The P3 is basically the ST MAXX. look at the sidewall, it even has the same sidebar pattern and everything. They just changed it enough that they could say its a different tire. So, if there is no MAXX in your size, Chances are you can get something close with the P3.

ronner

The P3 is basically the ST MAXX. look at the sidewall, it even has the same sidebar pattern and everything. They just changed it enough that they could say its a different tire. So, if there is no MAXX in your size, Chances are you can get something close with the P3.
LOL, yup. Ahead of you. That is why I am going in that direction.
thanks for the heads up,
Ron

dpr64

First post over here as I hangout more at the 4runner site...
Regarding the Cooper ST Maxx, what weight did anyone come up with for the tire itself in 265/75/16 in person? 55 lbs? The website says 49lbs but I have seen mention of 54lbs and 55lbs....
I was as discount today and weighed up the 255/85/16 and it came in at 60lbs. as compared to its advertised weight of 53!

I read about a few people moaning about how sluggish/different their 4runners/tacomas were after putting on the larger tires. The 255/85/16's that they were about to mount and install were 18lbs heavier (tire alone) than the nearly new Goodyear Adventure Wranglers I put on this spring (265/75/16)
60lbs vs. 42lbs

Decisions, decisions! I have the 255/85/16's on hold until they get the 265/75/16's in so I can weigh them in person (versus the cooper page that has them so far listed about 6-7 lbs lighter than what they really are)

kojackJKU

Yes, They are heavier than the website says. No matter what size you use. My 285s weighed a crap load. I put E load BFG ATs on and you could really tell the difference in weight of the tires.

commtrd

These tires are heavy because they are intended for pretty severe duty. Having owned four Toyota Tacoma trucks I don't think I would run these tires on any of those because they have all been seriously underpowered and likely would struggle with getting those MAXX rolling, let alone braking. Now with my current truck, 2006 dodge 2500 CTD, I am currently around 600 hp / 1200 ft lbs torque. So I have zero problems turning the 255-80-17s. And most guys with these trucks seem to want to put the biggest tire they can stuff under there typically a Toyo 37-13.5-17 which is pushing 100 lbs per tire! Specifically 93 pounds just looked it up. Even with the power to get these heavy tires turning, there is still an extreme fuel mileage penalty. Tons of rolling resistance. Hopefully I will not see too much penalty on fuel mileage when I get the 255-80-17s mounted up. Should be today I think. The expected length of service and E rating are definitely oriented towards use on a diesel pickup. For a much lighter gasser it MAY be best practice to look into a C rated tire if a softer ride is desired. I know when I tried the DuraTrac tire in 285-70-17 (D rated) it failed miserably and I got those tires removed after only two weeks. Could not stand driving my truck with those tires on there. Yet they would likely be awesome tires on a lighter half-ton, jeep, land cruiser, etc. So if one chooses to use the MAXX on one of these vehicles it should be expected and understood to perform like a heavy E rated tire relative to available engine power and braking etc. IF I was going to use a ST MAXX on a lighter jeep or toyota etc. I would just select a tire that is not too wide or tall for the gearing and engine power and enjoy the huge service life and other attributes available with the tire. Certainly the Cooper ST MAXX or the Toyo AT2 / RT / MT etc. would have to be top contenders in tire selection depending on intended use of course. YMMV as usual...

Robert Bills

Explorer
I have LT265/75R16 ST/Maxx on my Nissan Xterra (4.0 V6) and have suffered no adverse effects from the weight of the tires. No perceptible reduction in acceleration and negligible change in fuel mileage.

kojackJKU

As I said, I could really feel the difference comparing my BFG E loads to my ST MAXX E loads on my Jeep. In braking, ride acceleration etc.

dpr64

Looked fairly hard for a D rated with a tough 3 ply sidewall but I don't think there are any! Do not all C rated tires have only 2 sidewall plys? I really need a tough tire as most trails out here are rock, rock, and more rock...

java

Expedition Leader
Looked fairly hard for a D rated with a tough 3 ply sidewall but I don't think there are any! Do not all C rated tires have only 2 sidewall plys? I really need a tough tire as most trails out here are rock, rock, and more rock...

Most MFG's are moving away from just adding plys to the sidewalls for wt ratings. They change the actual structure, not just add more plies.

However they are still using the "ply rating" on tires, ie some E rated are sold as 10 ply, even though there are 2 or 3. D are 6 ply, even though they are two or 3 also.

kmacafee

Adventurer
I had ST Maxx's installed on my Tacoma last week in the 235/85/16 size. After a hundred miles of mixed highway/ice/snow, I am very pleased with them. They are much quieter than the BFG AT's I replaced.

commtrd

20141230_161756-XL.jpg

20141230_161812-1-XL.jpg

20141230_162002-XL.jpg

Just had a set of ST MAXX in 255-80-17 installed on stock wheels. Pretty awesome tires!

commtrd

They really work well. Very happy with these tires. Thanks to you guys for providing a lot of info on these tires, much appreciated.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I've got a little over 1K miles on my 265/75-16s and I'm very happy with them. My Explorer is just a play/camp/hunt/fish/ranch wagon so it doesn't see a ton of miles. I've had them in sand, snow, rain, and a little mud and they have performed very well in all. They are especially awesome in the snow on dirt roads. Relatively quiet on the road, too. As of right now I would definitely buy them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles