Import JDM Toyota RHD Diesel to U.S.

beachowner

I am going to import a RHD Toyota Surf for offroad use to the U.S. I am looking for a Toyota Surf KZTE engine. Several are available in the Vancouver area, does anyone have experience with Rising Sun Importers or Silkroad Importers ?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I don't have any experience with either of those companies, but I am currently using a dealership in Vancouver BC to import a JDM. The place is called Japanoid, and so far they have been pretty good to work with.

ADVbound

xj

Is this vehicle you're getting a diesel?
Also I purchased my vehicle from Japanoid and I like it so far but there were a few things I had to do to it, ball joints, idler arm, and now a new muffler. Only had her for 3+ months and knew it needed an exhaust from the get go.
I suggest having someone else look at the vehicle, unless you already purchased it.
Finally, I have heard some rumors around the forums of the odo being rolled back before it leaves Japan, you should be able to tell by having the vehicle looked over.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I'm sure you will, but keep an eye on the rust. I met a fellow in Tucson that had imported one and although he loved it you could tell he'd been through hell and put almost as much as the purchase price into it since the purchase fixing rust issues.
I'm still jealous so post pics when you get it!!

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Is this vehicle you're getting a diesel?
Also I purchased my vehicle from Japanoid and I like it so far but there were a few things I had to do to it, ball joints, idler arm, and now a new muffler. Only had her for 3+ months and knew it needed an exhaust from the get go.
I suggest having someone else look at the vehicle, unless you already purchased it.
Finally, I have heard some rumors around the forums of the odo being rolled back before it leaves Japan, you should be able to tell by having the vehicle looked over.

Sorry about the highjack OP, but some of this info may help you make your decision...

It's not diesel, just the normal 4.0l - that's what I want, the same thing as the N. American models = good parts availability.

I work in the tire industry at the distributor level, so I called up a local tire shop in VAN that actually does some specialty 4x4 work, large lifts, extra equipment etc.
I spoke with the manager and when Japanoid is done doing their own inspection, (after the customs stuff is complete) I'll have the Jeep sent over to my guy and he'll look it over - also put some 235 Duratracs on it. :)
The manager at the tire shop said he's seen a bunch of JDM vehicles come through his shop (I was glad to hear this) and he mentioned that probably because of the low mileage trips that these things take in Japan, they tend to have a higher % of problems in their steering and suspension components in the front end area. (Not so happy to hear about this.)
When it gets brought over, he was going to make sure his guys took a real good look at it, and let me know how it goes. And he should be able to have it for most of a week before it goes back to Japanoid, and I pick it up from them.
If it needs anything replaced I'll be able to haggle with Japanoid over the costs. The salesman I've been dealing with already volunteered to work with me on the tire issue since I'm operating on the assumption that they are likely dry-cracked at a minimum, and I want Duratracs on them in any event.
I also want new tires on it for the 12-hour drive back home. ;)

I'll update my original thread with all the details of the purchase, and the drive home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles