Travel cases for rifles

Wander

Expedition Leader
Looks like I'm going to get a Winchester 70 7mm (woot!) and I would like to travel with it to hunt with my cousin in northern MI and maybe with some friends in SC. The MI trip might involve air travel so I was wondering if the Pelican 1700 is OK with TSA and/or if there is a better choice. I will probaly also use this case to store it in at home (don't have a gun safe).

Seiko

You cant go wrong with a Pelican (or Storm Case). Heavy duty well built aluminum is slightly better protection, but it wont float, or keep out water as long as the Pelican will.

Ive used my Pelican on 3 trips to Africa, and several zillion domestic flights, for toting my rifle. Never have had an issue.

I also own a Storm Case for pistols, and the quality is identical to Pelican. I think they are slightly cheaper, but not enough to matter.

ssc45

Observer
The pelican is good to go with TSA. I have owned a couple, but have sold them. They do provide good protection and have certain attributes. However, I found the Kelispel alum case to be better for my needs. I believe they provide a bit more protection. The two reasons I sold my pelican cases is because I found them to have a bit too much flex when closing the case. This was not a big issue, but going in and out of airports and through customs, especially while traveling in Africa, it got to be a pain. It was much more convienent with a hard sided case. The number one reason I got rid of my pelican's was because they will not stand up on end. This was a deal breaker. Try to let go for a minute to grab a passport and down it goes. Generally you have other luggage and this issue is a pain. Plus, the older you get the more of a pain it is to keep bending up and down with backpacks on etc.

I spoke to the the pelicans rep at the shot show and he just dismissed it. In my travels to Africa, I see very few pelicans and in talking with others who I meet--usually while waiting for our gun cases, this is a known issue. In my groups of hunters who travel by air with guns, the pelican--for this reason is left at home if travel involves airplanes.

Food for thought, Steve

Wander

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the insight Steve. The Pelicans I have now are large box type cases so I would not have thought of flex in the case. I don't think I'll ever make it to Africa but I can relate with the issues you mentioned as I travel a lot for business and also dislike having to keep up with multiple cases.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Just a note about storing it in the case long term. In my experience a cold rifle with flash rust overnight when stored in a case. Maybe some of the new fancy cases have a place for descant or something? Otherwise be sure to clean and oil it really well after each use.

Viggen

Just here...
Just a note about storing it in the case long term. In my experience a cold rifle with flash rust overnight when stored in a case. Maybe some of the new fancy cases have a place for descant or something? Otherwise be sure to clean and oil it really well after each use.

I think this also depends on the type of case. A Pelican I would think would need a desiccant as they would hold in humidity and moisture. I store my sporting clays Beretta shotgun broken down in the Beretta travel hard case and havent had any issues with rust. I think thats because it isnt a tight sealing box like a Hardigg or Pelican is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles