I need a new saw.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Help me decide between a Reciprocating saw and a Cut Off (abrasive) saw. I'm using cutting disks in a grinder right now. How well and how accurate does a sawzall work on steel?

pods8

Explorer
If you have any number of steel cutoff cuts to make get the cut off saw and never look back.

Faster, straight cuts, longer blade line, etc.

Pest

Adventurer
I'm not a fan of grinders myself. A guy at work was using one, disk shattered, caught the metal, jerked out of his hand, grinder flew into the air and landed about 2 inches from his crotch with the remaining disk piece about 2 inches into his leg... fat and junk was oozing out.

But then, he was a very very stupid guy, and insisted on holding the grinder with 1 hand so he could "feather it" for a nice looking cut. Also, the safety guard was taken off. :Wow1:

If you have to cut anything other than just metal though, I'd go with the sawzall.

r_w

Adventurer
Cutoff saw for vehicle work, hands down.

A sawzall should never touch a vehicle you plan to drive again.

Toolman

Explorer
I can't help you with this because there are horror stories for sawsalls as well.

There is an appropriate tool for every job and application.

you really need both. I found my sawsall at the pawn shop.. $50, $300 brand new. Be thrifty and you can buy them all for the price of one.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I agree with both! Used tools are the way to go. I got one new tool for christmas. Returned it and bought 3 used tools. I just try to be very careful to do what i can to not support theft. Obviously there are issues with pawn shops and used-tool shops supporting theft in a somewhat indirect way.

I personally can not use a sawzall to make a straight cut. It's a demolition tool primarily. I used a large cutoff saw at work quite a bit, and it never seemed to make perfectly square cuts. But it was kind of junky and abused too...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Depends on what you want to cut. A sawzall with a metal cutting blade is just basically a hacksaw with a short stroke. It can be used for anything, but it doesn't really do anything very well.

If you're cutting angle, channel or tube, then a chop saw is better than a sawzall, and a sawzall is better than a cutting disk in a grinder. If you are ripping apart an old camper, sawzall is the way. If you are ripping apart an old trailer frame - a torch is king.

For sheet metal, the cutoff wheel in a grinder is sometimes better, but only for straight cuts.

Sawzall metal cutting blades don't last long. For a big job you'll need to buy them in 5 or 10 packs.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question - a sawzall works very well on steel. It just takes a long time and uses a lot of blades and won't be very straight.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Observer
the end results on any job depends on the individual doing the work.......there are different wrenches for every nut, some just fit the nut better.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I really want to know if a Sawzall will cut straight at a good rate if the operator is doing it right.

As I see it having never used one:

Sawzall: Is portable, is not limited to the size of material, apparently can cut up to 3/8" mild steel (that's what the blade package said), cheap to buy, versatile (I can tell my wife it also has tree pruning blades available).

Cut off saw (having used one a few times) : more expensive, discs are more as well, dirty like a cutting disk, limited to use on the floor or bench, limited material size by the size of jaw and what fits under the blade.

I can always use the torch but would like an alternative.

Cant quite swing a Plasma cutter right now.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I really want to know if a Sawzall will cut straight at a good rate if the operator is doing it right.

Yes, it can. I can do it, but I was an electrician for 12 years and have worn out a bunch of sawzalls. I gots the mad sawzall skillz. :D

You need to keep the shoe up tight against the material (if you can - not always possible), make sure the blade is perpendicular to the work (i.e., not tilted left or right) and don't twist your wrist causing the blade to head off in some strange direction.

Just a bigger version of a jigsaw really. You can even get a blade that has a thin profile (from teeth to back) and actually use it as a jigsaw if you need to.

Also, don't force it through the material, just let it work through at its own pace.

Once you get up to speed, you can do tricks like using a long blade to bend and slide in between things to flush cut.

EDIT: Oh, and keep your eye on the cutting teeth - you can't trust the shoe to be a guide.

Last edited:

Quill

Adventurer
I have both and use them. There many reciprocating saws sold. I prefer the Sawall shoe. I have seen street rodders cut the front end out of a car with a reciprocating saw and weld a new one in with no alignment problems.

pods8

Explorer
I should clarify I thought you were asking between a abrasive chop saw and a reciprocating saw in your question to straight cuts through stock material. That is where I think it would be flat out cut and dry to the chop saw.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
I found a $15 dollar cabinet for my M1010. I then needed to buy a saws all to cut part of the base to clear my wheel well. I love the sawsall over cutoff wheels. I installed my hi-lift today used the saws all to cut 4 x 2/12 in pieces of angle iron. I giggled at how perfect the pieces were. In my 40 years of my life time this was the first time I fabbed 4 identical pieces.

Here is the saw I picked up. It has exceeded my expectations and then some.

http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_214021-3...7&Ntt=Skil&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=Skil

the boogie van

you really need both. i've cut 3/4" plate easily with a sawzall, you just have to know how to make the tool do the work for you. a little cutting oil will do wonders for your blade life. i like the sawzall for long cuts, thick cuts and general demolition.

grinders are nice for doing small cuts, trimming sheet metal and finish work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles