Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

DingusKahn

Adventurer
coolant heater

If there is a danger of the coolant leaking into the main water supply then it shouldn't be used at all. All water used is through a mixing valve and you can never completely shut off the hot water. So do you take other water for drinking and cooking? That blows! That is no option at all as far as I'm concerned. Do a pressure check once a year, in the spring on the first trip out and call it good.

DK

will

Adventurer
I'm not sure what material the internals of the AT heat exchanger is, but I know the Helton is copper. I recall from another post/thread somewhere that you do not want to drink that water for fear of copper toxicity. So I believe that is the concern with the Helton exchanger, not sure about the AT exchanger.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
If there is a danger of the coolant leaking into the main water supply then it shouldn't be used at all. All water used is through a mixing valve and you can never completely shut off the hot water. So do you take other water for drinking and cooking? That blows! That is no option at all as far as I'm concerned. Do a pressure check once a year, in the spring on the first trip out and call it good.

DK

As you pointed out, a regular test of these systems is a requirement.The blender that we use does completely close off the hot water. A check valve is used between the heat exchange tank and the supply tank to prevent back flow.

I'm not sure what material the internals of the AT heat exchanger is, but I know the Helton is copper. I recall from another post/thread somewhere that you do not want to drink that water for fear of copper toxicity. So I believe that is the concern with the Helton exchanger, not sure about the AT exchanger.

Our heat exchange tank is 100% stainless steel.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Love the Helton in the tundra doing great,no problems yet,also I would not drink the water.If copper is problem then why is it in houses?

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Love the Helton in the tundra doing great,no problems yet,also I would not drink the water.If copper is problem then why is it in houses?

I have never heard of copper plumbing in houses causing problems, and they still use it. But I like the idea of stainless even better. The new PEX doesn't transfer the heat, but wouldn't it work good to plum the vehicle?
DK

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I have never heard of copper plumbing in houses causing problems, and they still use it. But I like the idea of stainless even better. The new PEX doesn't transfer the heat, but wouldn't it work good to plum the vehicle?
DK

PEX would work to plumb the potable water. We use metric tubing and quick connect fittings.

kb7our

Explorer
What changes are planned for the V2.1 interim tent option?

Mario, thanks for the early adopter update on overall Habitat progress. Can you or John shed some light on what is planned for the non-Nemo V2.1 interim tent changes that some of us might choose?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Sorry if I've missed it, but when will they be released? Reading the thread it appears some may be getting one version while others are getting the second version? Am I reading this correctly?

Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor - Tents, Production and such

Reading the thread it appears some may be getting one version while others are getting the second version?

Ok, I think I can clarify this for those reading along...the key point:

a production NEMO tent will not be available until early in 2012.

In consequence, for those who have already ordered, or who may be considering ordering, there are two tent options at this time:

1. One can wait until the NEMO tent is available in 2012

2. One can take delivery with an Ursa Minor tent sooner than 2012

We can accommodate either preference, and aim to make the tents interchangeable. Right now, there are a few customers who want to get out there exploring, so they have elected to have their campers finished with an Ursa Minor tent. Going foward,all production until the NEMO tent arrives will necessarily be with our tent.

To the question of exactly what the Ursa Minor tent will look like, I’ll post up some photos when it comes together. The tent will not change radically from any of the tents you’ve seen earlier in this thread in terms of size/shape etc. but will have some improvements and new features, though the main goal is to deliver a solid tent sooner rather than later.

The Ursa Minor camper shell and torsion bar system will be the same regardless of the tent installed.

Cheers, John

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Update

From Mario's update to us there is good news and bad. The bad news has already been addressed; no Nemo unit after OX12 (My bet anyway!)
The good new;
1) Bigger better hinges - my motto: "No kill like over kill" The new hinges are beefy laying next to the original. I want this thing to last for 20 years.
2) The zip on awning is being redesigned to attach to side awnings! (this should be #1) So we will be able to have awnings on both sides and the rear and they attach to each other. PLEASE post these photos as soon as you get the prototype together.
3) Lots of other little things to make it better and last longer that we will never see.

I may reconsider the 2.1 tent in lieu of the further delay on the Nemo tent. Another month will tell.
JOHN - What is your best guess as to delivery with your tent? We won't hold you to it.

DK

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
That clears up the version question, but "Pre 2012" is here and almost over. Has anyone (General public) taken delivery of one yet? Is there a projected release date?

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
What is everyones plans for aux power management inside the JK with the stage 1 and stage 2 drawers? What type and where will the aux fuse block/panel go? How many 12v plugs and where will they be located?

keithro

Adventurer
I noticed a Db noise rating in the specs for the habitat top, did you take any baseline measurements, say same vehicle with oem top?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier