Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

kb7our

Explorer
Please keep us posted on production # progress for summer planning. It seemed like #4 was just mounted up and is in the pics above sporting silver, with 5 & 6 close to paint. Any more coming down the pipeline and are there any forseen parts delays or issues to hold up production at this point? I'm obviously going to miss Yellowstone next month but hopefully a trip to a cool destination in a new Habitat is not far off. Thanks!

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
UMV has still to finalize a deliverables schedule, something that AT expects to have after we meet later today. As the production ramps up, there are still efficiencies that UMV is struggling with. At this point we have our NEMO tents in house and they no longer represent a delay. I am hoping that we can work through the UMV production issues quickly and get you hooked up before your August trip

The zip-on NEMO awning has been prototyped but final production details and costing are still being worked out. All of the NEMO tents will accept the awning. I have listened and it is loud and clear that there are objections to the blue fabric. I have asked NEMO to source a fabric that is closer to the neutral gray of the tent. In our experience, the fabrics with reflective coatings do not hold up all that well over time. The awning is designed to stuff away rather than roll up. This is more efficient for packing and speeds up packing.

More to come....

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The zip-on NEMO awning has been prototyped but final production details and costing are still being worked out. All of the NEMO tents will accept the awning. I have listened and it is loud and clear that there are objections to the blue fabric. I have asked NEMO to source a fabric that is closer to the neutral gray of the tent. The awning is designed to stuff away rather than roll up. This is more efficient for packing and speeds up packing.

Very cool.

If the awning is like the one you guys had at Overland Expo, where will the support poles be stored when the fabic is "stuffed away"?

Thanks,

-Dan

Ursa Minor

Q & A

I'm really curious as to why a roof rack could not be employed on the Habitat (j180), while it can on the J30 top…The Habitat looks to be the best overall for having a low profile and lots of interior space, but I'm having trouble thinking that I couldn't throw some Yakima towers on and load a light weight kayak on top occasionally. Obviously I would have to unload the kayak to open the top but that would be better than nothing at all!
Hi Brian – I talked about racks with more than a few people at expo - the differences between the construction of the J30 and J180 (Habitat) are subtle but significant. Mounting racks on the J30 is straightforward. There is access to the underside of the cap, so fasteners can be easily reached when popped up. Gear weight is offset by the struts, which can be upsized if needed for regular loads.

To put a rack on the J180 top is more challenging. The top is formed of an inner liner and outer shell separated by coring. If racks are fitted, one must ensure the mounts do not crush the coring or pull through into an open space when tightened. A backing plate would be needed, but it and the ends of the fasteners will then stick up into the smooth area where the mattress lies. As you mentioned, any gear would have to be removed before opening. I caution against adding weight to the cap due to the balance in the torsion spring being sensitive to load added at a distance from the pivot (ie, toward the outer edge of the cap – the rear when closed.) Two Yakima bars and towers are 14 lbs or so, it probably wouldn’t fail the torsion bar. But keeping all this in mind, I recommend just using foam pads & straps to carry a boat on the J180 since you have to take it off every time anyway – why invest in the racks/bars/saddles?

I'm also thinking about throwing a couple of solar panels on top of the roof
Dan – Aside from weight, since the J180 (Habitat) top is facing down when deployed, any rigid mounted panels force a set up vs. charge up decision. Even on a J30, I’d go with folding or flexible panels, so you can have camp set up when you want and where you want. Orient the camper toward prevailing wind, the best scenery or in shade, while the solar panels are off the truck and placed to optimal sun exposure.
I wonder if adjustable torsion is a future offering possibility without getting too crazy on the cost?
Wade – Not practical or cost effective unfortunately…

cheers, John

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Thanks John. The more I though about it, the more a foam pad made more sense for carrying a boat on the habitat.
I actually got behind an element with one of your tops last weekend and I was REALLY tempted to wave him down and check it out in person, but had an appointment.
I may have to search around some other forums and see if I can find someone locally who would let me take a look. My schedule has still not allowed me to check out the habitat at any of the shows I've known about.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan – Aside from weight, since the J180 (Habitat) top is facing down when deployed, any rigid mounted panels force a set up vs. charge up decision. Even on a J30, I'd go with folding or flexible panels, so you can have camp set up when you want and where you want. Orient the camper toward prevailing wind, the best scenery or in shade, while the solar panels are off the truck and placed to optimal sun exposure.

Thanks for the reply. Thanks makes perfect sense.
I've actually been thinking about adding the panels with a hinge on the outside edge of the top. That way, when the top is "open", the panels can be hinged so they are then right-side-up again.
An advantage I see here is you could hinge them right around 180 deg for high noon sun, then lessen that angle until they are hanging vertical to catch the setting sun.
Depending on how the setup is done, one would be on the drivers side and one passenger facing "out", so really only one would be in the sun.... (downside)
I would put the panels forward as close to the torsion bar as possible so their weight will impact the opening/closing torque as little as possible. That way, when they are hinged out, they are sitting over the hood, right in front of the windshield, so a small adjustable rod could be used to prop them up from the sides of the hood/guards/whatever.

The more I think about it, the more I like a setup that is hinged but also allows for complete removal as you suggest. If I'm only deploying the roof for one night (in which case running the engine tomorrow will top off the batteries anyway), leave them upside down or hinge one of them. If I plan to stay many nights, take them right off and put them in the sunniest place for many days....

Maybe even just have one bigger panel, that can a) hinge to passenger side b) hinge to drivers side c) be completely removed.

So many ideas...

Thanks again,

-Dan

kb7our

Explorer
Heading off to Yellowstone for a couple of weeks without the Habitat :(

Anyone else getting theirs installed soon? Last I saw was #4 so there is a ways to go to clear the backlog. I hope we have a cadence soon considering the wait time to get one established.

jrueppel

Adventurer
Looks like one more came down the pipeline last week.
There's a couple of photos on AT's Facebook page.
I haven't seen anyone on the Expo showing this one off yet.
We'll have to guess from the Jeep color and what look like stock Moabs who the lucky winner is.

481177_425557837475543_443731363_n.jpg

318135_425557997475527_248004648_n.jpg

kb7our

Explorer
Updates, news?

Mine's due around Sep unless they fall behind again (I'm going to guess Oct). It's been over 2 years since the initial early adopter deposit so a very long wait. I'm interested in hearing some usage reports from some of the newbies but it may be too early for that. How's the new torsion bar holding up, how's the mattress, ease of setup/closure, etc. from new users? What should be changed and why, etc.? Maybe way too soon for such reports but hopefully they start to trickle out with product in the field now.

Honu

lost on the mainland
so curious can you sleep 4 in these ?
like 2 adults 2 kids ?
have not seen good interior pics yet ;)
thinking if their is a hole you climb up through could you put that hatch back in and have the whole top a huge sleeping surface ?

if we got a Jeep the rear seats would stay in for the kids so I guess just climb up where the rear seats are ?

very cool setup though :)

cwsqbm

Explorer
so curious can you sleep 4 in these ?
like 2 adults 2 kids ?
have not seen good interior pics yet ;)
thinking if their is a hole you climb up through could you put that hatch back in and have the whole top a huge sleeping surface ?

if we got a Jeep the rear seats would stay in for the kids so I guess just climb up where the rear seats are ?

very cool setup though :)

The holes to climb up are over the rear seats, and it has plugs so that you can sleep 4. (I'd probably use a ladder and the side entrance if sleeping 4.) There's pics on their facebook page. Here's one (during assembly). You can see the plugs at the bottom of the picture. This is definitely making me consider getting a JK.
581313_425558294142164_113103046_n.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland

I like tents but sometimes ya cant put them up easy to rough of ground etc... or to muddy etc.. could be a cool option to have ready to go when tent is not needed or cant be used easily and not be a RTT in size and mileage hog etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke