Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Dont be hating!
The habitat is sweet! Fix the flip pac tent and you will have a customer.

I'm not hating. I would LOOOOVVVEE to have a new one. Test drove one at OX11 through their track. The LR4 is very nice. Way to nice to take rock crawling. Out of my budget...
The JK Unlimited is now a real contender for big adventures. Just needs a bigger motor, which is rumored for next year.

DK

kb7our

Explorer
A few more Habitat thoughts for consideration

Not any show stoppers by any means, just some additional ideas...

One or two fabric loops inside the tent roof for hanging a lightweight led lamp or similar (a-la Snow Peak Hozuki) rather than have to secure to support pole and rub on the fabric. Repeat inside the top of the zip on awning but instead of a Hozuki or similar it would be nice to hang the ARB led light or similar for use during cooking, etc.

I would still like to see a zip back screened skylight (with ability to unzip screen too???) although I understand at least part of the technical challenge and may be in the minority of those who would appreciate being able to gaze at the stars in good weather when not under the trees.

A few pockets inside the tent high enough so they are not in the way when utilized and sleeping (mount higher up than other RTTs?).

Loops and bungies to hold fabric sides in when closing similar to other RTT designs, but only if there is a ballooning tendency with this design - there may not be any issue here.

Now that you guys offer a heater in a box, with the Habitat one logical option to sit the heater on may be the hood (assuming cushioned feet) so consider making a heater duct pass through for the tent somewhere up near the main sleeping area that is reinforced to accomodate the AT heater or similar tubing. Passing duct work through a window or door zippered opening works but is a bit "cheesy".

Wade

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
We are about 8 weeks from having production Habitats in the hands of early adopters. We will post progress updates here in this thread and answer questions as they arise. Thanks to everyone and their support and positive comments during the development of this cool new product. Your input is invaluable to us.
The irony: I was very close to put down the deposit, but chickened out because the original development and build schedule was not enough time for me to come up with the complete funding. The 18 months it actually took, or will take, to complete the Habitat however would have been more than enough time. Oh well ... I can still start saving and get one in a while or two :elkgrin:

kb7our

Explorer
The irony: I was very close to put down the deposit, but chickened out because the original development and build schedule was not enough time for me to come up with the complete funding. The 18 months it actually took, or will take, to complete the Habitat however would have been more than enough time. Oh well ... I can still start saving and get one in a while or two :elkgrin:

Don't feel too bad. I was ready to plunk down a deposit on the Oasis and even sold my Horizon to help fund the purchase. Then the Habitat topper buzz began and soon will be a reality. Funny thing is the Habitat better suits my needs since I like to tow the JK behind an RV then go exploring. Tahoe Valley campgound is a nice place for the RV and the surrounding terrain is nearly paradise for the JK. With the Habitat, we can expore a few days from base camp. Durango is another favorite for base camp. One day Canada and of course Alaska.

CLynn85

Explorer
I really hope these are still available once the pricing on used 4-door wranglers comes down. I would love to own one, but the price of the base vehicle is so steep at the moment. In another 5-10 years when 4-doors are plentiful on the used market I would gladly pay the market price for a habitat.

kb7our

Explorer
A few more build suggestions

Dimple a location for a 3rd brake light embedded right into the Habitat above the rear window. Even better include the light or housing cut out option during fabrication. For sure I would opt to remove the cheesy AEV bumper spare tire 3 led brake light and opt to use one embedded right into the top that was easy to plug right into. Anyone else?

A few questions:

Is there something that holds the standard mattress in place when the top is opened/closed?

Is there room to retain/store any bedding or is the space too small for that when closed?

What do you expect the interior finish of the hard portion of the top to look like?

Thanks AT and partners for this production thread!!!

Ursa Minor

Q&a

3rd brake light embedded right into the Habitat above the rear window?
- Yes eventually, had the same insight when we bashed the stock light taking the top off for the nth time... There are some surface mount LED lights that should work, I am holding off any modifications to the mold until there is a bigger list of changes stacked up though.

Is there something that holds the standard mattress in place when the top is opened/closed?
- Yes, footman loops at the front and velcro on the bottom of the mattress.

Is there room to retain/store any bedding or is the space too small for that when closed?
- Maybe, of course when the cap rotates shut it'll fall out :) There may be a bit of space to stuff things up there just before closing it, but the open space will depend on the final mattress thickness.

What do you expect the interior finish of the hard portion of the top to look like?
- Either a black/dark gray felt carpet or smooth flat black or white (as in the J8)

Cheers,
John

kb7our

Explorer
3rd brake light embedded right into the Habitat above the rear window?
- Yes eventually, had the same insight when we bashed the stock light taking the top off for the nth time... There are some surface mount LED lights that should work, I am holding off any modifications to the mold until there is a bigger list of changes stacked up though.

- Yes, footman loops at the front and velcro on the bottom of the mattress.

- Maybe, of course when the cap rotates shut it'll fall out :) There may be a bit of space to stuff things up there just before closing it, but the open space will depend on the final mattress thickness.

- Either a black/dark gray felt carpet or smooth flat black or white (as in the J8)

Cheers,
John

I always opt for a better mattress over room for bedding as the latter is easy to throw on and remove. I vote go comfort with the mattress as much as will fit. I personally would just keep a 12V heated mattress pad and a cover pinned to the mattress all the time. If you guys could cut the mattress length to match normal sheet size (i.e. fitted full) that would be highly convenient. With the Simpson III I had, I cut the extra long mattress to match the standard sheet length then had the extra 18" or so piece sewn shut by a boat upholstery shop. Both pieces were velcrod to the tent floor so did not move when the tent was closed. It is very nice to have a mattress that standard sheets will fit, especially for those of us who like to use a down comforter over a fitted sheet and top sheet instead of sleeping bags. You really don't lose anything at all by doing this - there are just two mattress pieces to deal with instead of one.

On the inside hard top finish, I have had the Bestop hardtop and the Wild Boar, both which are lined with dark grey carpet. I vote for the carpet hands down due to its insulating properties (sound and temps). One argument I heard that is fair is that carpet collects dirt but in my experience for a few years with a carpeted top, any dirt that collects is VERY easy to vaccuum and far outweights any negatives I have experienced thus far. The fit and finish of a nice low pile carpet properly glued in to hold up in temp swings (AZ heat plus Alaska cold) just looks nice and professional in my opinion. Water drying out was really never a long term problem but I live in AZ so I suppose that could be an issue for some climates if the carpet got wet and stayed that way for any length of time.

Wade

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Congrats AT/Mario! What a great team with John and Cam.

Now if I could just get that Nemo tent on my flippac ...

jkfarrer

Does the back window zip open?

Really looks great guys. Nice job.

Just looking at the pictures I couldn't quite tell, but the back window looked like it might zip open. Is that true or were the pictures playing tricks?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Adventure Trailers,

Congratulations on have your JK habitat and your trailers & tear drop mentioned in JP Magazine.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Extra cloth?

What is this flap of cloth around the front hanging down for? I can already hear it flapping in the wind and waking me up. :)

Nemo%20JK%20Habitat%20Left%20Tent%20up.jpg

DK

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Moab Pics

Here are a few more pics I flat out stole from the AEV Forum Web page. I give credit to "Explore" (Jason and/or Ian) for them as I did not get to attend Moab Easter Jeep Safari.

Start with the one from the above post.

Nemo%20JK%20Habitat%20Front%20Left.jpg

Nemo%20JK%20Habitat%20Front%20Right.jpg

Nemo%20JK%20Habitat%20Front.jpg

Nemo%20JK%20Habitat%20hood%20top.jpg

DK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz