Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
You know I would suggest just buying some screen for replacement purposes in home use.

Then glue or sew a strip of magnets to the "top" of the screen and put a metal strap across the roof as well. Then some washers sewn into the bottom to give it weight. You will close off most of the area with ease. Otherwise you could end up spending a lot of money. besides if you block off the majority of the gap you should be able to solve the concern for the most part. Even a bugnet (for sleeping under) that you can buy for camping might be enough to do the trick. For instance, check this job out! You might really like this a lot... Something like that you can mount to the OUTSIDE of the jeep, and cover you entire camping area if you wanted to. (Don't forget the underside of the kitchen if you do that though.)

I do not know if that is helpful, but that is how I would go about it, and good on a budget. With a little effort you can even make it look very nice and very professional. Put that metal strap in the net and you can use smaller magnets even. For that matter you can put them down the sides as well and really seal off the are.

Yeah, I really dislike bugs in my tent... :)

kb7our

Explorer
OK. New Topic. Bugs.
As posted above, I was out a couple of weeks ago for two nights. There were some miller bugs flying around, not too many. They ended up in the tent. The main way they got in was while I had the back open while cooking diner. The back end is very handy and a dang nice kitchen. But it has to stay open to use. And the bugs get in. I have been thinking about a solution, but not very hard. Anyone know of bug screen that can be put in as a curtain. I think it would be best in front of the fridge. Basically behind the rear seat all they way across and top to bottom. That would be behind the hatch up to the tent area. So if the back doors are closed no bugs would get in the tent and you could leave the back open as long as you want. With my light setup, that is until bedtime for me.

How about some input?

Watching this with interest. Maybe some sort of pull back screening (zippered, magnetic, velcro?) at the hatch instead of a curtain in front of the fridge area?

jus passin thru

Adventurer
One thing that is cheap,easy to use,but not especally durable, is the fabric made to use for wedding vales,it comes in a few colors and is available at fabric stores and some Walmarts. It will keep out really small insects. I have wraped RV window screens on trips to AK. and been very happy with the results

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I thought about bugs with a rear kitchen setup, figured it could be problematic! Because of that I was almost thinking I wouldn't even want the sliding stove and everything, as handy as it looks.
I wonder if it makes sense to sew some screen material into a light canvas "frame", and sew a zipper or some Velcro along the edges. Attach the other end of the Velcro or zipper to the top, behind the roll bar or somewhere. Leave everything behind the rear seat open to the outside while everything forward is protected. One thing I hate more than bugs in my tent is mosquitoes biting me while I'm driving.

kb7our

Explorer
OK. New Topic. Bugs.
As posted above, I was out a couple of weeks ago for two nights. There were some miller bugs flying around, not too many. They ended up in the tent. The main way they got in was while I had the back open while cooking diner. The back end is very handy and a dang nice kitchen. But it has to stay open to use. And the bugs get in. I have been thinking about a solution, but not very hard. Anyone know of bug screen that can be put in as a curtain. I think it would be best in front of the fridge. Basically behind the rear seat all they way across and top to bottom. That would be behind the hatch up to the tent area. So if the back doors are closed no bugs would get in the tent and you could leave the back open as long as you want. With my light setup, that is until bedtime for me.

How about some input?

Once AT nails down the awning with screen room sides then that will help a lot but certainly won't keep all the buggers out! Not sure how close they are to having this available.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Once AT nails down the awning with screen room sides then that will help a lot but certainly won't keep all the buggers out! Not sure how close they are to having this available.

Wade, remember that the tent and awning side of this project are conducted by Nemo Equipment. We are happy to pass along suggestions and ideas, but we don't design or manufacture the end product.

DingusKahn

Adventurer

Speaking of which, I expected to see something by now. Mario, what's up with the awning?

kb7our

Explorer
Speaking of which, I expected to see something by now. Mario, what's up with the awning?

I suspect the guys are focusing on SEMA so maybe a status in a week or so. I'm still looking forward to the new pink canopy color so wifey can feel included in the Habitat theme ;).

kb7our

Explorer
Quick cross-post of Habitat photo from the SEMA Jeep expo article - John

View attachment 128862

Looks good - thanks for posting. I can't believe my unit is finally getting close after such a long wait with an actual pickup by AT only about 3 weeks away! Hopefully no new delays pop up for UMV now that the torsion bars are in and Habitat construction has resumed. We'll know in about 3 weeks!

Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
What # are you?

Not sure as I think AT and UMV may have different queues now so I stopped looking for a specific unit # and removed that from my signature. I hope this is a good sign that things are moving along on the UMV side with parts and such as the delays and reschedules were getting excessive. I suppose that's one caveat of being an early adopter over 2-1/2 years ago. I could possibly be the last early adopter but not positive on that. AT is supposed to pick up my unit from UMV on the 19th which I am counting on. Then delivery probably a few weeks later. At this point I still intend to go with a two tone color scheme, with the lower shell something close to AEV black and the upper cap Red Rock to match the Jeep body color. Obviosuly that makes resale more difficult but I intend to have the Habitat for many years so am not worried about that.

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
So you are going red on top, and black in the middle?

Interesting.

Would you be so kind as to post photos when you receive the paint job? I would be interested to see what you produce (paint wise.)

Cheers

kb7our

Explorer
So you are going red on top, and black in the middle?

Interesting.

Would you be so kind as to post photos when you receive the paint job? I would be interested to see what you produce (paint wise.)

Cheers

Sure thing FP. Yes, red on top and black on bottom. The red is Red Rock so more of a Sedona Red Rock/burgundy color rather than a bright red. It should either look amazing or like a mistake - we will see!

As of today, AT is supposed to pick up the unit for painting from UMV in 2 weeks! AT says they have all the parts in stock for final assembly so from that standpoint there really should not be any delays except the guys might want to break for some Turkey :). I'm getting the right side window as well.

2007JKU1.jpg

Last edited:

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Camped

Took mine out for an overnighter in the desert. Didn't take a single picture. I took out the double air mattress and put in my tried and true Big Agnus bag and air mattress. Better than sheets and blanket, for me. The kitchen is the bomb. I use my air hose to blow all the dirt off the back before I open up.
I found out I can take a whole lot less than I used to and have everything I need. Getting better, easier and more fun as I learn how to use everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke