Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
{Prescott, AZ} - Adventure Trailers, Inc. (AT) manufacturer of Built for Offroad™ trailers and accessory equipment for 4x4 vehicles is pleased to introduce the Habitat™ Hardtop designed exclusively for the Jeep® Wrangler® Unlimited JK 4 door. The Habitat has been designed collaboratively with Ursa Minor Vehicles, an innovative small camper manufacturer. The Habitat is a replacement hard top featuring a lid that opens over the hood of the Jeep® to reveal a tent and sleeping area for 4 people.

The Habitat is a convenient and comfortable sleeping arrangement that’s off the ground, away from campground critters and offers a birds-eye view of your surroundings. The camper incorporates a tent designed by NEMO Equipment, award-winning tent manufacturer. Deploying smoothly in under one minute, the Habitat takes up no more space than the footprint of the vehicle. It’s easy to access the tent structure through a convenient access way above the rear passenger seats. By opening the rear passenger doors and folding down the rear seats, a simple step up reveals full stand up room inside the tent.

“We are excited about the Habitat . It adds a new level of functionality to the most capable 4x4 vehicle built in the USA. The Jeep® Wrangler® is one of the most customized vehicles by its owners and now they have the opportunity to add a high level of camping convenience and comfort. No special modifications to the vehicle are required and only 6” are added over the original hardtop height. Along with the Habitat Hardtop, we designed a series of accessories such as storage drawers, slide out fridge & stove unit and an on-board shower to enhance the camping experience” said Mario Donovan, President of AT.

John Gish, founder of Ursa Minor Vehicles commented “The Habitat is our first fold over camper, and we choose to work with AT to reach a new market based on their experience with off road accessories and overland travel. It stays true to our design goal of delivering a unique camper to support active outdoor adventures.”

“I’m thrilled to work on this project. The Habitat is a well-designed product and a great tool for extending the adventuring capability of the Jeep,” said Cam Brensinger, president and founder of NEMO Equipment, “AT has a history of making some of the most capable and well-engineered off road trailers in the world while Ursa Minor Vehicles specializes in lightweight composite campers. We are excited to bring our award-winning design team, innovative fabrics and unique technologies to set a new standard for overland vehicle shelter.”

Adventure Trailers, Inc. was founded in 2002 by Mario Donovan and Martyn Davies. AT is the designer, manufacturer, and purveyor of innovative high-end equipment for vehicle-based expeditions and remote camping. As North America’s Premier Overland Outfitter, AT offers expertise gained from years of experience in the field, both in North America and overseas. In addition to offering products manufactured from its own designs, AT operates a full service shop to prepare vehicles for remote camping and long-range expeditions. For more information, please contact Mario Donovan at 877-661-8097 or Mario@adventuretrailers.com. http://www.adventuretrailers.com.
Ursa Minor Vehicles is a growing manufacturer specializing in compact, lightweight pop-up and fold-over campers, including the ECamper™, a modern interpretation of the classic Volkswagen camper based on the Honda Element. For more information, contact John Gish at 619-424-9030 www.ursaminorvehicles.com

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Habitat updates

We are about 8 weeks from having production Habitats in the hands of early adopters. We will post progress updates here in this thread and answer questions as they arise. Thanks to everyone and their support and positive comments during the development of this cool new product. Your input is invaluable to us.

kb7our

Explorer
We are about 8 weeks from having production Habitats in the hands of early adopters. We will post progress updates here in this thread and answer questions as they arise. Thanks to everyone and their support and positive comments during the development of this cool new product. Your input is invaluable to us.

This kind of exceptional support plus the new Habitat triad formed to create what will very likely be a very special product are among the top reasons why I decided to be one of those early adopters and a return customer. Sure the wait has been agonizing at times but knowing that AT will not release a product that isn't ready for prime time outweighs all the issues that can arise from developing a new product from the gound up and I would not want it any other way.

Wade

DingusKahn

Adventurer
I don't know if being #10 on the list makes me an early adopter or not. But it sure is exciting. And Mario, it was 8 weeks two weeks ago at OX11. :sombrero:
But if getting the stove fixed with back and side wind guards and maybe even a forward flipping 8 or 10 inch shelf delays it a few more weeks, then I will gladley wait. Cam agreed with me, we want the wind protection for the stove.
Somebody post up some picks of Cam's pretty red JK Habitat. I will, if I can figure out how....

Dirk

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Pictures from Overland Expo 2011

Since this thread IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES, here are a few I took at Overland Expo 2011 (what a great event!!)

2011-04-02_11-01-15_490.jpg

Above is the NEMO JK Habitat with their prototype tent that they will be making for Adventure Trailer. After talking to Cam and Mario, there shouldn't be any major changes to this design, just refinements. I'm hoping they put a zipper all along the side to attach a canopy/awning like they did for the back.
The Red Nemo JK is rather eye catching as is the new tent design.

~ ~ ~ ~

2011-04-02_11-01-26_841.jpg

The rear awning that zips to the back of the tent. It held up well to the stiff winds on Saturday afternoon in Amado.

~ ~ ~ ~

2011-04-02_11-01-49_645.jpg

This side flap really works. Just before noon on Friday i climbed into the tent of the original J8 JK Habitat. The high that day was mid 90s. It was warm in the tent portion (But very roomy.) I got down and walked right over to the Nemo JK and climbed right up. It was NOTICABLY COOLER in that tent! I'd say 10 to 15 degrees cooler.

Dirk

Last edited:

DingusKahn

Adventurer
More pics

2011-04-02_11-02-04_903.jpg

Cam from Nemo Tent (red shirt) under the awning.

2011-04-02_11-03-22_685.jpg

The awning zips to the back of the tent. To use for a lunch stop you would have to pop the rear latches open and zip it on. But wouldn't have to flip the lid.
Notice the weather proof cover pulled up for venting. There are cords inside the tent that allow you to raise and lower this cover from inside with push-button slides that lock it up.

2011-04-02_11-03-40_444.jpg

Under the awning. Mario and the guys (he has guys, I met some) didn't have time to attach the air lifts on the rear window to hold it open. It would normally be up higher, but not hit the awning. In fact, there is room for a couple of LED lights above the window to light up the "kitchen".

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Even more

2011-04-02_11-04-09_563.jpg

Standing in the port hole looking forward (duh). Cam used his standard Nemo double air mattress. A good fit for those that want air over foam. Could probably leave it aired up, or deflate it and leave the bedding, maybe held on by a strap or two....
I was surprised by how much room there is up there. But after all, it's twice the size of the entire JK Unlimited cabin area. I like all the room in the back on both sides of the port/hatch area. You can easily store all of you clothes etc up there while deployed.

2011-04-02_11-04-17_765.jpg

The hatch covers that when put in place allows the other two beds, on air mattress of course.. Notice how smooth the floor is. Clean and bug free. Could add the carpet of your choice...
If you want to know how big the hatch is, get in the back seat of your JK Unlimited and look up. That area of the roof inside the factory roll cage is the access hatch that is closed off by these two covers. I suppose you could leave them home if sleeping two up front...

2011-04-02_11-04-42_421.jpg

Out the back over looking the awning through the screen window. In the two corners you can see the cords that pull the storm cover up and down like blinds.

DK

Last edited:

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Last two

2011-04-02_11-04-53_184.jpg

Better shot of the cord for the storm cover.

2011-04-02_11-07-38_397.jpg

And the side door if you are sleeping 4 and need to get in and out from the side, ladder or leaping ability required.

That pretty well covers it. Hurry up Mario!! :wings:

Dirk

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Imagin this

And just in case you want to sit up at night in your JK Habitat...

JK%20On%20Extreme4.jpg

Lets see your Landrover climb this!!:victory:

JK%20On%20Extreme2.jpg

Las Cruces NM Chile Challenge:costumed-smiley-007, last full week of February every year.

DK

And just in case you want to sit up at night in your JK Habitat...

JK%20On%20Extreme4.jpg

Lets see your Landrover climb this!!:victory:

JK%20On%20Extreme2.jpg

Las Cruces NM Chile Challenge:costumed-smiley-007, last full week of February every year.

DK
Dont be hating!
The habitat is sweet! Fix the flip pac tent and you will have a customer.

kb7our

Explorer
I don't know if being #10 on the list makes me an early adopter or not. But it sure is exciting. And Mario, it was 8 weeks two weeks ago at OX11. :sombrero:
But if getting the stove fixed with back and side wind guards and maybe even a forward flipping 8 or 10 inch shelf delays it a few more weeks, then I will gladley wait. Cam agreed with me, we want the wind protection for the stove.
Somebody post up some picks of Cam's pretty red JK Habitat. I will, if I can figure out how....

Dirk

"But if getting the stove fixed with back and side wind guards and maybe even a forward flipping 8 or 10 inch shelf delays it a few more weeks, then I will gladley wait. Cam agreed with me, we want the wind protection for the stove."

AGREE!!!!!

I ordered the combo slide as well, along with the drawer unit that mounts to the right. I put a Heatsource in the lower trunk area (expanded trunk using Warrior Products version) and am routing the ducting under the JK up through the front of the drawer housing with a vent mounted to the top near the right wheel well. Drawer should be ready soon so we will see how this theory works

Wade

ccarm

Adventurer
Anyone know if Nemo is going to offer the awning as a stand alone? Maybe with a roof rack attachment instead of a habitat zipper attachment? It has to be one of the strongest looking structures I've seen in a while?

rockandroll

Adventurer
:drool::drool::drool:

I was a jeeper before equipping for our PanAm trip. I've been debating what to get when we return (my wife has spoken for the Tundra). After seeing this, I think my decision has been made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online