6-person tent for high heat and rain? (REI basecamp 6 is cooking us)

swduncan

Observer
I've got the REI Kingdom 6, and have been impressed with how well it can be ventilated when it has the tech garage. There's a vestibule at each end, and if those are opened there is decent airflow. The fly can be staked out on the sides, rather than hooked on the tent poles, to get even more. Wind and amount of rain will limit how much you open things up, of course.

When I first got the tent without the garage I almost took it back. It seemed flimsy, the fly was loose and droopy, and the end the garage attaches to seemed silly with a big flat wall (wait, how many big flat sides does an oz tent have?) Then I got the garage and it was a complete game changer. Plenty of dry space for stuff you don't want in the tent, and plenty of room to get wet stuff off before you enter. Not to mention shade.

The only real knock on the tent is that it is fiddly to erect. In high wind I find setting up the garage first, into the wind, and then adding the tent works best if it can be arranged that way.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I've run all sorts of tents...from small backpackers to REI Kingdom 6 to Keltys to a 10x16 Kodiak Canvas Vx... The space of the 10x16 will easily accommodate 6 people and give space to move around. Want to use some cots? Go for it...

Canvas tent, hands down - Springbar or Kodiak...doesn't matter. Breathes better, is warmer in winter and cooler in summer. The ventilation is far superior to nylons & polyesters. The moisture control is also second to none. The Kodiak tent is faster and easier for me to setup solo than the Kingdom 6 (especially when using an cordless impact with 6-8" lag screws & fender washers for stakes)...I was skeptical at first and the first few setups were challenging, but having spent dozens of nights in the canvas tent, it is a no brainer. I've sold or am selling all my other tents.

The REI Kingdom 6 is lightly used and for sale if anyone is interested. It comes with a garage too..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears