Partner Stoves?

Scoutman

Explorer
My idea to solve the griddle issue would be to bend the handles so they hug the sides or are parallel to the sides. It would pack smaller and not have to change the wind screen stays.

2ec301c45b3fdeffcbc9ede43d8db293.jpg

Too bad their griddle doesn't nest inside the stove. I had a coleman griddle I was trying to mod to fit inside for storage.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
FWIW The Chef King handles are not "loose" but rather have enough tension on them (hinge) to stay at the angle you put them ... and not even a consideration relative to all things rattling. Their griddles are very well thought out and constructed.

zimm17

Observer
What would you guys recommend for table top cooking for 2 kids, 2 adults? I'm going back and forth between the 18" 2 burner, 4 burner, or 22". Also for cooking breakfast, would you recommend the griddle on an 18", or using a lodge iron pan? I do mostly bacon, eggs, hashbrowns or pancakes. While the 4 burner, stand, and griddle, would be nice, it's expensive and bulky. I only stay in 1 place for 1-3 days. Maybe the smaller 2 burner on the picnic table or my portable table would be the ticket? If I ever really need the extra burners, I have a 2 burner cook top inside my camper- although that's far from ideal.

Do you guys cook steaks and burgers on the griddle/iron pan or drag along a grill too?

Scoutman

Explorer
What would you guys recommend for table top cooking for 2 kids, 2 adults? I'm going back and forth between the 18" 2 burner, 4 burner, or 22". Also for cooking breakfast, would you recommend the griddle on an 18", or using a lodge iron pan? I do mostly bacon, eggs, hashbrowns or pancakes. While the 4 burner, stand, and griddle, would be nice, it's expensive and bulky. I only stay in 1 place for 1-3 days. Maybe the smaller 2 burner on the picnic table or my portable table would be the ticket? If I ever really need the extra burners, I have a 2 burner cook top inside my camper- although that's far from ideal.

Do you guys cook steaks and burgers on the griddle/iron pan or drag along a grill too?

Any of those 3 really would do the job. Unless you're really into having a bunch of pans going at the same time I would say the 4 burner would be overkill for most folks and especially if you have 2 more burners in a camper. I guess it really comes down to what rig you're packing it in, how much you cook, and how you cook. If you do most stuff on a griddle then you may need to look into a Skottle or Mojo. If you do a lot of one pot or 2 pot meals then a 2 burner is the way to go. If you're wanting to do coffee, a pot of grits, and a griddle full of breakfast goodies all at the same time then you need to think 4 burner. :chef:

As for steaks or burgers it depends on the trip. We've carried a separate grill sometimes but have also cooked them in a cast iron or regular skillet on the partner, used the discada or Skottle, or just used the park grill if available.

For us (family of 4) we went with the 22" and it has been great. The only times I regret getting it as opposed to say an 18" are times when I would like to pack it in a case where an 18 would fit and the 22 doesn't. Not really a big deal since we have a pretty good storage spot for it. It is nice being able to fit 2 10"-ish pans on it.

zimm17

Observer
Bill at partner stoves wrote:

If you want to cook using a griddle (pancakes & eggs) Then I would suggest the 16 or 18” 2 burner stove. The 16” is only for a 16” wide area, but if you have 18” space, the 18” stove is preferred.

If you plan on using on a picnic table, consider the version with a windscreen.

The 22” stove is an excellent choice, but mainly for 10” fry pans and not a large griddle. We do have a griddle, but the heat is not as even as the 18” stove.

I like using the 4 burner 18” stove because it allows more choices.

1 or 2 griddles for the larger groups, cooking more food all at once.

Or, 1 griddle then use the other side for hot water.

If you decide on the 4 burner stove, A stand may be desirable so the stove doesn't take up table space.

So I'm wondering if I should get the 18" and griddle, or the 22". I think a griddle will let me cook much more breakfast than a 10" fry pan. I can be finishing up the bacon and do hashbrowns and eggs at the same time.

XJINTX

Explorer
I have a 22" may I recommend getting a flame diffuser for simmering? I always had a hard time trying to simmer as it got to hot center of pot. I bought w $5 diffuser at WalMart and it helps tremendously!!!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Regarding the two burner: The 22" works great for normal size pans but the 18" works better for griddle work as the burners are closer together and end up with more even spread of surface temp. I had a 26" 3-burner for a while and it was the bomb for pans or griddle work but the form factor was just to much for us and our typical 2-person audience ;).

zimm17

Observer
Regarding the two burner: The 22" works great for normal size pans but the 18" works better for griddle work as the burners are closer together and end up with more even spread of surface temp. I had a 26" 3-burner for a while and it was the bomb for pans or griddle work but the form factor was just to much for us and our typical 2-person audience ;).

Thanks. I ordered the 18", griddle, and a custom 12' hose so I can tap my travel trailer's propane tank.

umpqua

Observer
If you buy a stove I highly recommend buying the repair kit at the same time....you will eventually need it. You will find at some point that the "pressure" will begin decreasing on one or both of the burners. The kit will come with everything you need and instructions to remedy the issue.

Haven't read the entire thread and apologize if already mentioned.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have to buy that kit :)

I might have mentioned already in the thread ? sorry to long to go back and read ;)

BUT

the griddle was the best camp kitchen piece I reckon I have bought in some time even if you do not own there stove that griddle is amazing !!!!!!
heats nice and even very non stick and clean up is super easy and maintenance is nothing
I have cast iron and steel griddles that never get used anymore because of that thing :) I want to get the largest one for around home to :)

I have the 18 I use the griddle on
for pans they do hit each other but I rarely use them anymore and plan more meals around griddle cooking

we mainly only use the griddle and dutch oven these days camping

verdesardog

Explorer
Thanks. I ordered the 18", griddle, and a custom 12' hose so I can tap my travel trailer's propane tank.

The regulator for your travel trailer is most likely a low pressure one. the partner stove needs higher pressure, that's why it comes with it's own regulator. It will not work on normal low pressure gas. You will have to connect the regulator from the stove directly to the tank to get the Partner stove to work.

zimm17

Observer
You will have to connect the regulator from the stove directly to the tank to get the Partner stove to work.

That's the plan. Bill is making me a 12' hose and I got their POL propane Tee also so I can have the trailer plugged in at the same time. The stove's hose will be before the camper's regulator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke