M101A2 Wheel Hubs

96XJ0507

I am looking at replacing the hubs or full axle on my M101A2. Does anyone have any experience with replacing just the hubs? Its about half as much to replace just the hubs so I'm looking to do that first to go to a 5 on 4.5" lug pattern.

thanks!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I can't vouch for the hub exchange but I ended up swapping out the whole axle, with brakes, for about $360.

I matched the old axle exactly, which is 3" diameter, and carefully cut off the spring perches and welded everything back together.

I had never done anything like this before, so I was running pretty scared, but it actually was very easy, and a direct bolt up.

I did it on a M116A2, which for all intents and purposes, is the same frame as a M101A2

Pat

96XJ0507

I can't vouch for the hub exchange but I ended up swapping out the whole axle, with brakes, for about $360.

I matched the old axle exactly, which is 3" diameter, and carefully cut off the spring perches and welded everything back together.

I had never done anything like this before, so I was running pretty scared, but it actually was very easy, and a direct bolt up.

I did it on a M116A2, which for all intents and purposes, is the same frame as a M101A2

Pat

I'm hoping to do a 60.00 swap instead. I've got a line on a 3500lb axle for about 130.00, but I need the money to go to wheels and tires for this thing. I'll post if I find anything.

Dools

Wanderer
I am in the process of doing this for my M101. Putting in new hubs to match the jeep and keeping the parking brake. Think it is going to run me around 130 cdn funds. I am getting my parts from a trailer repair and supply store.

If you could do it for 60 go for it and I should come your way to buy my parts :smiley_drive:

Oh yeah, you will need a 1.5" socket for the nut on the hub.

96XJ0507

I am in the process of doing this for my M101. Putting in new hubs to match the jeep and keeping the parking brake. Think it is going to run me around 130 cdn funds. I am getting my parts from a trailer repair and supply store.

If you could do it for 60 go for it and I should come your way to buy my parts :smiley_drive:

Oh yeah, you will need a 1.5" socket for the nut on the hub.

I can't find the right hubs. The ones I found that will fit it are 6x5.5 due to the bearing size. Looks like the axle is built for a 5000 or 6000lb trailer. Unless I find a different hub I'm going with a new axle. Still about 150 or so after shipping, but at least I'll have the right wheels in case of a flat :).

Dools

Wanderer
If you get the serial number off the axle and google it, your trailer should come up with all required information. I know here in canada I am getting mine directly from the supplier to the military. You may be able to do the same.

96XJ0507

I already ordered a new axle today. For the cost I decided it would be better to shave some more weight off and get the hub face to face distance I needed to use the same tires/rims and backspacing that I use on the jeep. It costs more now, but will be fine in the long run.

trab

Expo wannabe
I'll look up the spindle size later. Basically it was driven by the bearing size. I think this is the one, but not sure right now.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/Dexter/42655UC1.html

FWIW, I ordered these hubs to do a hub replacement on an M101A2 axle with 8 lug wheels. The goal was to go from 8 lug down to 6 lug so I could use my stock Toyota wheels on the trailer. While the inner bearing and grease seal were correct, the inner bearing was incorrect. My trailer requires a 2585 outer bearing. This hub from etrailer uses a 15123 bearing which has a 1.250 I.D. where the trailer has a 1.313 O.D. on the spindle. Etrailer tried to help me find a hub that would work but they just didn't have anything that would fit. So alas I'm sending these back. :(

If you are a machinest, you could pull the race from the hub and bore out the hub to the correct size and put in a 2585 bearing and race but i'm no engineer and couldn't tell you if this would structurally change the strength of the hub.

Bart

JUNAC

Observer
I'm looking to swap out my M116 Pioneer Tool trailer axle (5 bolt) for one of the M101A2 (8 bolt) axles to be able to run same wheels as my 3/4 ton Dodge.
If anyone is selling or wants to swap I'd be interested. I'm in the Windsor/Detroit area, send me a PM

joeyabisa

Adventurer
FWIW, I ordered these hubs to do a hub replacement on an M101A2 axle with 8 lug wheels. The goal was to go from 8 lug down to 6 lug so I could use my stock Toyota wheels on the trailer. While the inner bearing and grease seal were correct, the inner bearing was incorrect. My trailer requires a 2585 outer bearing. This hub from etrailer uses a 15123 bearing which has a 1.250 I.D. where the trailer has a 1.313 O.D. on the spindle. Etrailer tried to help me find a hub that would work but they just didn't have anything that would fit. So alas I'm sending these back. :(

If you are a machinest, you could pull the race from the hub and bore out the hub to the correct size and put in a 2585 bearing and race but i'm no engineer and couldn't tell you if this would structurally change the strength of the hub.

Bart

What ever happened with this issue? Did you ever find the hubs or was it resolved in a different way?

rockclmbr

I'm looking into upgrading my Teardrop suspension/axle/wheels/tires.

What do I need to know when sourcing an axle?

Questions that come to mind are:

1)Bolt pattern on hub
2)Load Value (trailer is 950lbs, but I plan to add water/fuel tanks, mountain bikes) How much of a safety factor is needed?
3)What kind of suspension is desired? Leaf Springs or Rubber Torsion?
4)Are shocks necessary or a nice to have?
5)Where is the best place economically and reliably for sourcing an axle?

Thanks!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne