Kayakrack on hardtopcamper?

BillTex

Adventurer
Yep...used a Thule LB98 across the front with saddles and factory "luggage" rack on the back with thule rollers.
I lean the yaks on the back, climb up the ladder, and pull up the boats.
We carry 2 tandems, ~70#...yeah they're not light-but it is actually pretty easy to do.

Oh yeah; I attached the load bar/gutter mounts with GE Aircraft adhesive...I did not want to drill any more holes in the roof...
2008%20317.jpg

Bill

nutcracker

I thougt you meant this(load bar/gutter mounts). We have the saddels in Sweden. But the load bar/gutter mounts, where do you buy those?

BillTex

Adventurer
I thougt you meant this(load bar/gutter mounts). We have the saddels in Sweden. But the load bar/gutter mounts, where do you buy those?

These are called "Artifical Rain Gutters"
http://www.rei.com/product/494360/thule-artificial-rain-gutters-package-of-4?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-494360&mr:trackingCode=7888099C-7BEF-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CJ632aH-q6gCFRFOgwodix9wIA Don't know why I can't find those on Thule site?
And you need these
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BaseRacks/Feet/387%20Gutter%20High%20Foot%20Pack.aspx

They come in different heights, so pick one high enough to clear roof vents etc.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
can you give me more details about this glue? would that work on a fiberglass roof? I also don't want to drill holes...

BillTex

Adventurer
can you give me more details about this glue? would that work on a fiberglass roof? I also don't want to drill holes...

Here is a link form another forum where I detailed my rack install. There is a lot of other info/ideas here. You might read it all and see what works for you.

The artifical rain gutter can be mount on any flat surface. Either on a roof, or side wall. I could not fit them on the side of my camper as there is a trim piece at the roof line that I just could not get the LB96 bar to stretch long enough!
I ended up mounting them flat on the roof and all is well. Put kayaks, surfboards up top,and I can remove the rack in 5 minutes if I won't be using it for a trip.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21710115/srt/pa/pging/1/page/11.cfm

kerry

Expedition Leader
Wow! Glue? How strong is it? Not sure I'd be comfortable with that. With high winds at high speed I'd be afraid the glue couldn't take the forces? I've driven across Nebraska with boats on my car and the whole car has been tossed sideways by the wind when moving out of the protection of an obstacle back into the wind. How long have you used it?

BillTex

Adventurer
Wow! Glue? How strong is it? Not sure I'd be comfortable with that. With high winds at high speed I'd be afraid the glue couldn't take the forces? I've driven across Nebraska with boats on my car and the whole car has been tossed sideways by the wind when moving out of the protection of an obstacle back into the wind. How long have you used it?

2 years now.

Tensile strength is 7.2 MPa up to 260 deg C. Bond strength will exceed strength of the silicone. This stuff is used on just about every aircraft you have ever flown on...it's good stuff. We have to pull it from our inventory when it reaches expiration date so I have access to a fair amount of it.

I can pull on the rack, and the aluminum roof starts to lift off the camper. The adhesive is stronger than the camper!

Of course, you could always mount these components using lag screws. And depending on how your camper is constructed, you may be able to mount the gutters on the sidewall...which in my mind is preferable...it just would not work with these components on our camper.
If you use screws...be sure to seal it well and probably put eternabond over everything for extra insurance.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94