Question about mounting camper

dvofg

My FG has a 14ft flatbed(long wheelbase) on it right now...I have been looking at different model campers to put on it...I came across a great deal on a hi low 22ft model..It is 21 ft from hitch to bumper...The overall base of the camper measures aprox 16ft..Im wondering if over hanging 2-3 ft would cause any problems?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
...The overall base of the camper measures aprox 16ft..Im wondering if over hanging 2-3 ft would cause any problems?

I believe the long wheelbase (133.1") FGs are spec'ed for up to a 16' 'body lengths'. See page 13 of the 'Body Builder Drawing and Support Part II' here:

http://www.mitfuso.com/Content/Documents/pdf/Archive/08-FE-BBD-part2.pdf

Part one (also useful) is here:

http://www.mitfuso.com/Content/Documents/pdf/Archive/08-FE-BBD-part1.pdf

+1 on checking out Bill Caid's build. He is a great guy and has been 'building' stuff forever (a real hands-on type)

kerry

Expedition Leader
Am I right in thinking that you would cut off the front hitch portion of the high-low and leave the frame underneath the trailer and mount it on the flatbed? If so, I don't see a problem since the original frame of hte hi-lo will support the overhanging section.

FusoFG

Adventurer
as long as the over hang doesn't cause the rear axle to be overloaded or just as important, the front axle to be too lightly loaded.

dvofg

correct....my plan is to cut off the hitch and remove the rounded fiberglass section...This will allow me to mount it closer to the cab...My estimate that 2ft-3ft will overhang...I dont really see this being a problem....It wieghs 3600lbs once I remove the axles,hitch and 5 tires Im hoping to get it down to around 3000lbs...

kerry

Expedition Leader
You need to watch the weight closely. I was surprised at how quickly it added up on mine. Mine's the 12k version so if you have the 14k version you've got more room to play.

lehel1

Adventurer
no problem

hello all

we had our custom built camper made to fit on our 14 flatbed and carry a motorbike behind that. we are well under the rear axle weight rating, you'll find it very difficult to unload the front axle much.

go for it, sounds like a good plan

cheers lehel and laura

p.s. i don't mean to not check the weight front, rear, and total when your rig is done, just the plan sounds very doable

LivelyZach

Gotta love old threads ,hopeing someone replies ...just curious at this point ,as I'm not yet decided which way I'm going ,but leaning strongly in this direction....what method of attachment to the flatbed was utilized to secure the camper ?As a retired OTR flatbed truck driver ,I'm aware of the traditional methods of "cargo securement"to transport from point "A" to "B",but what about permanent or semi-permanent securement ? bolt down ?welded ?steel straps? chains?

The FG I'm considering is equipped with a 15' aluminium flat bed...

Last edited:

hinocairnseclipse

Lively Zach nice question, I too am looking forward to an answer, I recently added a van to the back of my 12T Hino but it was directly to the chassis via anti-torsion mounts, not on an existing tray. I would prefer to have some system using a flatbed so I can remove the van once I reach my destination and use the truck as a workhorse again

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior