Italian UNIMOG Camper construction

smontic

Observer
Great adventure and Video..any problems crossing into Western Sahara and back into Moroc..? Also any major mechanical concerns during your trip?

also, what music title at 07:55..

Mike

HI mIKE,

The music at 7:55 come from a arabic music CD that i have in my house, I don't known the artist....
Really no problem crossing the western sahara region, all it's safe an simplest. There are many check point but it take only few minutes to pass all the controls.

smontic

Observer
Next week-end i try to start building the roof rack. Today I have purchased the pipe (50x1,5 mm).
Iain do you have a project in electronic format of the your fantastic rack?
:ylsmoke:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Sorry, I made everything on the truck - did not think to make any drawings as I made a full scale template of the front of the camper box and drew everything on that.

DSC03597.jpg

First thing you have to do is make your reference bend - make a 90 degree bend and carefully mark where the bend starts in relation to the edge of the die - there will always be a small difference and then you can use that to work out exactly where to start your bend each time, otherwise it will be very difficult to make two bends exactly the same.

There are a few more details about how I built the roof rack on here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1459829-my-camper-project-32.html

smontic

Observer
Hi Iain,

thanks a lot for your help!
When I see your work I have the evidence that I'm a newbie of this world!

smontic

Observer
here some pictures regarding the last works on my unimog

http://www.advrider.it/unimog/archives/835

I'm working on the security because I need to travel in the southern Russia, and Kazakhstan alone ... what do you think about that?

IMG_3330.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 7

Iain_U1250

Explorer
They look great - definitely a work of art and they should be a deterrent for a smash and grab theft. I would have gone with very visible locks though - so that it is obvious to the would be thief that they can't open the door by smashing the window.

I think these area great idea

hasp6.jpg

I have also wondered about security since we will be travelling around the world in our truck. One thing I learn when living in Africa, is that if people see something with loads of security, they assume there are lots of valuable in it. If someone want to break into your truck, they will - and if you have sorted out the security on the front window, they will just cut the windscreen seal and pull the whole windscreen out, failing that - just use a crowbar on the screens or doors, windows or roof hatch.

My own experience is that if you make it too difficult, they will just wait for you to open the truck, and then hold a knife or gun to you and steal the whole truck which is a whole lot worse. Car-jacking is a major problem in South Africa because alarm system are so good. To make matter worse, that some thieves now have a habit of killing the occupants because if they let them live, the owner can make a phone call to activate the remote security/satellite tracking before the thieves get it to their workshop and strip out the security.

There are basically two type of theft - one of opportunity - like leaving your cameras, gps, ipad on the dash board. Someone will see it and "smash and grab. Easiest thing to do is have screens that prevent people from seeing into the truck, and keeping everything hidden. The other is someone who is after you or your whole truck. If you are worried about getting robbed in a remote area when you are in the truck overnight - things like high power lights that come on when someone stands on a step to look into a window and alarms etc that wake you up is the best you can do.

Last edited:

smontic

Observer
Hi ALL!!!

after some days of work we have travelled for a week in Corsica Island.
In this little adventure I have experienced only one problem : my first puncture on a rear tyre.
I'm surprised to see that a piece of wood can puncture the MICHELIN XZL in this manner. WOW!
Now I have to see if it's possible to repair the tyre, because I'm not happy to put it in the trash... what do you think about that?

corse-5859.jpg

here the puncture

corse-5903.jpg

Here all others pictures

http://www.advrider.it/archives/2964

Attachments

• corse-5859.jpg
    corse-5859.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 17
  • corse-5903.jpg
    corse-5903.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 11

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Good thing it's only a small tire. :D

The interior wood looks great. I like the sink.

How's the solar doing?

westyss

Explorer
great pictures and a beautiful place, thanks for sharing with us, looked like you had the whole island to yourselves!

Out of curiosity, what is the procedure to get there, ferry, cost etc?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Regarding the tyre, if the puncture is in the tread - then it can be fixed - all you need is a patch on the inside provided the hole is not too big. If it is in the sidewall - then you have to put it in the trash I'm afraid, the flex with open up the hole very quickly and suddenly and if you are travelling at speed or on uneven ground, you might roll the truck.

Hi ALL!!!

In this little adventure I have experienced only one problem : my first puncture on a rear tyre.
I'm surprised to see that a piece of wood can puncture the MICHELIN XZL in this manner. WOW!
Now I have to see if it's possible to repair the tyre, because I'm not happy to put it in the trash... what do you think about that?

here the puncture

corse-5903.jpg

smontic

Observer
Regarding the tyre, if the puncture is in the tread - then it can be fixed - all you need is a patch on the inside provided the hole is not too big. If it is in the sidewall - then you have to put it in the trash I'm afraid, the flex with open up the hole very quickly and suddenly and if you are travelling at speed or on uneven ground, you might roll the truck.

Oh! NO! This is my case. I've punctured the side wall with a piece of wood.
I have to start searching a new tyre. I prefer to buy used tyres because if I pay 700 Euros for a new one and after few weeks I have to put it in the trash I'm not happy!
I ask my self how it's possible!!!

smontic

Observer
great pictures and a beautiful place, thanks for sharing with us, looked like you had the whole island to yourselves!

Out of curiosity, what is the procedure to get there, ferry, cost etc?

Thanks westyss!

It's really simple. I have buyed a ticket for a ferry that depart from Savona. The cost for two people and one truck is 250 Euros. The travel takes 5 hours.
Ferry here in Italy are not cheaper, consider that a ferry from Piombino to Elba Island (1 hour of travel ) cost 150 Euros for the same configuration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke