Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Strip - 64 gallons later

Nice trip report, Thanks for posting it.
    2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
    2006 Fleetwood Neon

So far so good. Keep in coming.

Default Day 3, Kelly Point - Part 1

Day 3, Kelly Point Expedition - Part 1

The 9 mile drive out from Twin Point to Oak Grove went without a hitch. One travels from high desert with Mesquite and Junipers to tall pine and fur trees. It's quite a transition . I had read about this in one of the articles but it was wonderful to actually experience it.

With the increase in elevation also came some mud. This didn't bother us and added a little challenge to the easy trail around Oak Grove. (little did we know what we were in for later in the day being so early in the year and most likely one of the first to drive out to Kelly point this season)

In route we came across a herd of deer, there had to be a buck somewhere among all those does.

Once we turned off to the Kelly Point Trail we came across this cabin and former ranch.

From here there was a meadow that the trail went right through, spring was still in the air and the trail through the meadow was more like a depression full of water and mud. It was a real challenge for some vehicles for about 1/2 a mile. Murrie got stuck in the last puddle and had to be pull so early on we decided to strap the PW to another vehicle and pull in tandem through the mud which worked well without the PW getting stuck once. Jason who elected to do the pulling was rewarded with a fresh layer of mud evenly distributed over all his Cherokee.

To give some perspective on the distance to Kelly Point, the prior day we drove out to Twin Point, approx. 11 miles. The distance out to Kelly Point is 31 miles. There appears to have been little or no trail maintenance on this trail for some years. Being what appeared the first vehicles on this trail this season there were numerous trees that had fallen and had to be either winched, chain sawn, pruned or just pushed out of the way. It took us close to 6 hours to drive the 31 miles. We were dog tired by the time we got there and shortly after dinner we all wandered off to bed.

I attached a remote camera on my roof rack and captured what we had to deal with over 50 times in route. I shortened the video to the last 3 minutes.

When we weren't removing trees we had several miles of road like this:

That's all for now, Day 3, part two later.

Thanks,

Fred
    Explorer 1
    Last edited by Explorer 1; 11-13-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    "Of all the paths you take in life,
    Make sure some of them are dirt"

Looks like a great trip Fred. There is so much to see out there it is amazing. We spent a week out there in July 2009. Man it was hot and dry! BTW where did you get your SPOT holder thingy that you can see in video above?
    1978 Chevrolet K10, Vortec 8.1L, NV4500, NP205, Phoenix Camper
    1989 Chevrolet Suburban, V2500, Vortec 8.1L, NV4500, NP241
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4, Vortec 8.1L, ZF S6-650 6-speed manual trans.

Vortec 8.1L because life is too short to tolerate underpowered vehicles

Default SPOT Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    BTW where did you get your SPOT holder thingy that you can see in video above?
    The quick answer is, from my sister who gave it to me for Christmas.

I'll check with her, it works great. Before I use to just let it sit loose on the dash and tumble around.

It's a Ram product, check out their website at Ram-mount.com

Thanks,
    Fred
    Explorer 1
    Last edited by Explorer 1; 04-27-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: adding product web site

Default Day 3, Part 2 - Kelly Point

Day 3, Part 2

When we finally arrived at Kelly Point the sun was beginning to set so first came the pictures and enjoying the views, then came camp setting followed by dinner in the dark.

And what better time to frame out a picture of old Explorer 1?

We enjoyed a dinner around the fire but as earlier said, all the tree trimming made for an early bedtime.

If today wasn't enough fun we get to do it all over again tomorrow (only without the tree trimming!)

Thanks,
    Fred
    Explorer 1

looks like a great trip
    NOMAD INDUSTRIES
    07 FFL

Special Operations Training Services
    www.specopsts.com

I love Kelly Point, but it is not for the faint of heart . You WILL scratch your vehicle getting there, maybe all the way down to the metal. The trail is very overgrown and rough. Plan for downed trees, mud, lots of rocks, and some horrific biting bugs depending on the time if year you go. Last June, at Kelly Point, we couldn't even get out of the car until the wind kicked up in the evening, the bugs were so damn bad.

I would recommend at least two vehicles, three being better.

Here are a couple pics from last year.

_________

Default Bugs and bushes

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    You WILL scratch your vehicle getting there, maybe all the way down to the metal.
    We lucked out, other than a spider and scorpian, there were no bugs of any kind.

The trees and bushes did serve us some service by helping scratch off some of the mud placed there earlier!

Thanks for sharing.

Fred
    Explorer 1

Default DAy 2, Part 1 - Road to Poverty

Day 4, Part 1

Morning brought a fresh view of the Grand Canyon, one could sit for hours viewing the different canyons and cliffs, but as John Wayne used to say "Were burning daylight" and we had a long ways to go so after a good breakfast we broke came and re-traced our 32 miles back out to the Oak Grove area.

In the morning I found this guy on my chair, aside from the tarantulas I've seen this guy was the biggest.

Jim found a scorpion in his 4-runner where he sleeps. Part of his leg was numb that day, but it cleared up that evening.

This was Murrie's first time out since we put a 3" lift on his Cherokee and added the quick disconnect sway bar. I took these so he could see the improved articulation.

At Kelly Point we took a group picture, we were still smiling and fairly clean at this point.

One last movie view of the point:

On the way in and out we crossed this seasonal stream that still had some water in it. From the looks of it there was a time recently that it flowed like a mad torrent flash flood. Dead and downed trees were all around torn from their former home, Large rocks had also been displaced.

Here is a short movie with the view the other direction:

Once again we were in a wooded area this time "on the road to Poverty" One of the guys in the group said he had been on that road before but didn't recognize any of the surroundings!?

Shortly the road and area opened up and we were able to pick up some speed on the open plateau. It was fun to run 45 mph after so many hours of 3-5 mph.

Eventually we came to what I called "Separation Intersection" Jason who had so faithfully pull the PW both directions through the mud had to head for home, and the PW which had it's third flat on our way out from Kelly Point had to call it quits as he was now running on only two tires on the rear axle. His son Matt who had already left behind his Cherokee the first few hours of the trip now transferred all his gear over to Cody and continued on.

Here is out last group photo all together as we continued to head toward Whitmore Rapids and they out to St. George.

With the PW gone and down two vehicles it was easier to stay closer together and our progress continued as we pressed on to Whitmore Rapids for the night.

Day 4, Part 2 later.

Thanks,
    Fred
    Explorer 1

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast