Arizona Strip - 64 gallons later

VegasDesertRat

The Strip

Hi Fred,

Excellent trip and pics were fantastic.
6 days and a lot of miles for sure.

I've done the Az. Strip several times, but only 3 days or less each time.
Living in Vegas has its advantages. Lol.
Ranger Paul we met at Tassi Ranch area and have stayed in contact with him for two years now.
He has shovel ready work, ready for the asking.
The Savanic Staircase just might have been named by our group, maybe.
Heart Attack Hill, I know we named, and we are heading there in Nov. for a pre run and a Thanksgiving weekend 3 day run.
Send me an e mail and I'll share some pics and location.

Take care,
MarkyMark

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
That really looks fantastic. Would love to travel in a group to do that one of these years.

AFSOC

Explorer
I'm glad this thread got revived, what a great trip to review. We used to have adventures like this all the time on this forum, it was a lot fun to follow them. I miss the old days when there were more postings with these sorts of trips and build threads.

tommyduncan

Too bad you skipped the Grand Gulch Mine... It is a very interesting place. Of course that does give you an excuse to plan another trip. If you do try to visit the Copper Mountain Mine as well!

I am a friend of Mark(vegasdesertrat) that posted above. We have done a lot of exploring in the area over the last ten or so years and we don't plan on stopping any time soon! If anyone has any questions about the area don't hesitate to ask... tommyd1963@gmail.com

I'm not usually one to blow the horn of most local authority types but I gotta say that the rangers in this area (Ray and Paul) are very helpful so don't hesitate to contact them when planning a trip. They have even helped us with alternate routes to avoid areas that are closed but not marked as such. Their recommendations were actually more rugged(FUN) and off the beaten path than the normal route.

St. George can be accessed quite easily in less than 2 hours from the Mt. Trumbull school house. It is a relatively smooth 45+ mph road. Occasionally it just makes sense for at least one vehicle to make the trip with all the gas cans and a shopping list to keep the trip moving along.

Another suggestion is to look for parallel roads when up near the Blackrock Mountain area. One road will be rock filled, slow going, and miserable due to lava flows while a parallel road less than a mile away will be smooth and fast.

It was a long and fast dusty road into Toroweap. Once we got to the point and campground we found more people then we had seen the entire trip. Most of the campsites were taken so it became obvious that our group of 6 vehicles would have to fine someplace else to camp.
There is an adequate place for large groups to camp on the way to Toroweap. Just before you get to the Toroweap ranger station there is a fenceline along the national park boundary. Follow it to the right and it leads to a runway. There is a concrete pad with one or two picnic tables and a large metal awning for shade. It's not the most beautiful place around but there is plenty of flat ground for tents etc. The former ranger would divert us there as soon as he saw the size of our group so it's ok to camp there. I've been told that the runway is no longer in use because flight restrictions have been changed since it was built. There is NO firewood in the area but on one 22o occasion we did burn quite a few cow patties that are abundant in the area.

I'll try to post some pics soon, hopefully Mark will beat me to it...

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
The Thread comes alive again!

Heart Attack Hill, I know we named, and we are heading there in Nov. for a pre run and a Thanksgiving weekend 3 day run.
Send me an e mail and I'll share some pics and location.

Take care,
MarkyMark

Thanks Mark,

I just came back in town after spending some time exploring in Utah and found that this old Thread came alive again. :ylsmoke:

I think you're referring to the youtube video I posted on Heart Attach Hill, if so, this one is in Anza Borrego State Park, not the Arizona Strip. It is usually only driven down due to it's steepness.

Thanks again,

Fred
Explorer 1

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
My Utah exploration trip.......

I'm glad this thread got revived, what a great trip to review. We used to have adventures like this all the time on this forum, it was a lot fun to follow them. I miss the old days when there were more postings with these sorts of trips and build threads.

Thanks, once I settle down, I'll be posting my exploring trip to Utah soon.

Hope it provides you the same enjoyment.

Here's a couple of teaser pictures:

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

photo1.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Forum statistics

Threads