Custom Slide-in Camper for midsize truck.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
UPDATE!
IMAG0026.jpg

That is just the shell at the moment.

IMAG0025.jpg

I still need to box in the door area, and the window area.

IMAG0023-1.jpg

Overview of it

IMAG0023.jpg

A little more upclose

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Thats all for today. I will do the floor reinforcments, and then do the door area, then the window, and the roof, and just a little more reinforcents on the sides, and i will be done with the shell!!

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Does any one have any suggestion for a jack situation? I dont have any of those tripod jacks (but i would like some) Could i almost make them by welding legs on to the bottom of a regular camper hydro jack? Cuz i cant have the jacks bolted to camper, becuase it wont clear my bed or my fenders. I have for of the normal hydro jacks around here anyways that i could somehow use, and suggestions?
Thanks!

tom

One option would be to extend the mounting brackets so the jacks clear the fenders. I once saw extension brackets on a dully that folded back flat against the TC when the jacks were off. Kind of reminded me of a door hinge. Food for thought.

Tom

pods8

Explorer
Yeah, i am maybe veering away from the plastic idea, if its not uv proof. I am looking at some travel trailers on craigslist( the ones that are parting out) and seeing if i can get some clean sections(where there are no windows/doors) And if the colors of the panels are different colors, then i can just paint! Haha.

Also keep in mind some plastics can be difficult to get glue to properly adhere to, it'd luck to have things delaminated on you. Using plastic isn't necessarily a bad idea, just do your homework first.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
One option would be to extend the mounting brackets so the jacks clear the fenders. I once saw extension brackets on a dully that folded back flat against the TC when the jacks were off. Kind of reminded me of a door hinge. Food for thought.

Tom

I thought about extensions, but i didnt want just an extension left out since it would look real crappy. Only if i can find a way that i can remove them with like a pin set up like a hitch , or to fold. I made the camper only that wide, so i would get best fuel economy (less drag) and so i could use my existing mirrors without getting extensions :smiley_drive:

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Also keep in mind some plastics can be difficult to get glue to properly adhere to, it'd luck to have things delaminated on you. Using plastic isn't necessarily a bad idea, just do your homework first.

Yeah i knew it wasn't a bad idea, i just found some sheeting on craigslist that some one will sell me for 15 bucks per per-side. Its off an older travel trailer. Im getting sections that don't have any wholes from windows or doors. Even if its a little different colors, i can still paint it. Do you think i should put some 1/4 plywood on between the frame and the siding? I would think it would have more strength. I dont mean structural strength, but i mean incase something hit the aluminum siding, because i wont have as much reinforcements as a wooden camper, but mine will still be stronger. What would you do? Thanks!

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Just to be easier, why don't i be abnormal and not use jacks? Maybe install some hooks on it and winch it down from a garage roof? I have a garage roof that has a heavy duty like 10''x10''x like 30' beam that is heavy duty, Why don't i attach some hooks to it and my camper and use a couple little hand winches? Because i wont leave it in my garage when i take it off my truck, ill lower it on to a cheap 4x8 trailer and take it back outside. I don't want to put a lot of work into building the jack setup, because they jacks would have to be like 1 foot away from camper, to clear my fender. I know it will work, because when im done, the camper will weight like 1000 pounds or less, so if i used two hand winches, that would be like 500 each (they usually have a max of 1000 or 2000)

THIS IS THE METAL BEAM
IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

ZOOM OUT OF IT, but thats not the camper i just am building, im taking those windows though.

What do you guys think about me using that to winch my camper up and down from truck to trailer? I Know its strong enough.

Last edited:

tom

Jeremysp,

I really love how your always thinking out side the box. My hat's off to you!

More food for thought. I have always wondered about having a slide in slide out type of set up. Maybe have a roller or wheel set up that could be raised and lowered from inside the TC. Once in place on the truck the wheels could be raised up so the TC sets on the bed. When it's time to unload lower the rollers or wheels, then roll the TC into a track or what ever that is the same height as the bed. My TC weighs around 800 lbs loaded. I can easily roll it around an into the truck with 3 wheeled casters under each of the jack feet.

Happy build!

Tom

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Jeremysp,

I really love how your always thinking out side the box. My hat's off to you!

More food for thought. I have always wondered about having a slide in slide out type of set up. Maybe have a roller or wheel set up that could be raised and lowered from inside the TC. Once in place on the truck the wheels could be raised up so the TC sets on the bed. When it's time to unload lower the rollers or wheels, then roll the TC into a track or what ever that is the same height as the bed. My TC weighs around 800 lbs loaded. I can easily roll it around an into the truck with 3 wheeled casters under each of the jack feet.

Happy build!

Tom

Thanks! You mean make a platform the height of my bed, and roll it onto the platform from the truck vise versa, like a drawer? Whats tc? Truck camper?
I think it would just be easier, to put like 4 to 6 hooks ON TOP of the camper, and just lower it via a winch mounted on the metal beam (and a chain or cable from winch to each hook on camper). Later on, the hooks can actually be good for hooking up something on the top via staps, such as a roof top carrier or an inflatable boat. I would make sure that where the hooks are, that there will be gussets and such that reinforce the area, as each hook will lift no more than 200 pounds (if the camper weighs 800 pounds) I dont think the camper will weigh 800 pounds, as my frame will be 200 pounds when im done. Then some insulation, the outside sheeting, the 3 windows, the door, the 3/8 plywood for the floor area, some wiring with clearance lights on the outside, the interior 1/8 MDF panelling and that will be it. So it might weigh like 750 pounds, where my max of my truck is 1500 to 1750.
And my name is Jeremy, you dont have to say Jeremysp.

Last edited:

tom

Jeremy,

Yes TC stands for truck camper. And your exactly right about the slide out idea. I pictured rollers or wheels attached to the camper that would let it roll in an out of the truck bed and off and on to a platform the same height as the truck bed.

Tom

pods8

Explorer
Do you think i should put some 1/4 plywood on between the frame and the siding? I would think it would have more strength. I dont mean structural strength, but i mean incase something hit the aluminum siding, because i wont have as much reinforcements as a wooden camper, but mine will still be stronger. What would you do? Thanks!

Get some extra pieces of the siding and conduct some impact test (aka hit it with a hammer) with and without backing. For backing you can try 1/4" ply (but it'll add weight) however I'd also try out some various foam board, they'll provide some backing strength and insulation as well.

Where in WA are you? I've got 25psi and 60psi foam board that I could give you some scraps to play with. I also may end up with an extra window or two from my build if you're scavenging for parts. I know I have a 24"x22" dual pane picture window that is scrap (has some scratches on the exterior glass in one spot).

For the cable lift verse jack stands. I'd plan on having provisions to add jack brackets later on if you wanted to no mater what you do (so put some attachment points on your frame). The cable lift idea is cool but limits you to only being able to remove your camper in your current garage, that is why I'd build in flexibility.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Get some extra pieces of the siding and conduct some impact test (aka hit it with a hammer) with and without backing. For backing you can try 1/4" ply (but it'll add weight) however I'd also try out some various foam board, they'll provide some backing strength and insulation as well.

Where in WA are you? I've got 25psi and 60psi foam board that I could give you some scraps to play with. I also may end up with an extra window or two from my build if you're scavenging for parts. I know I have a 24"x22" dual pane picture window that is scrap (has some scratches on the exterior glass in one spot).

For the cable lift verse jack stands. I'd plan on having provisions to add jack brackets later on if you wanted to no mater what you do (so put some attachment points on your frame). The cable lift idea is cool but limits you to only being able to remove your camper in your current garage, that is why I'd build in flexibility.

I am south of you, quite a bit. I am right by Puyallup/Enumclaw. Well i just got a hold of the person that was gonna sell me the siding, but i don't think it will work, because his pieces are 7'3'', but my camper is 8' long. What exactly is the foam board? Just insulation?

I dont really need any windows, as i am taking the side windows off this canopy
IMAG0035.jpg

If i was to go with a jack idea in the future, i would buy some of those tripod jacks, as those would clear my finders. But with my project, i will only use it a few times a year or such, so it would be ok, to just go with the cable idea for now.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Nice work, any more progress?

Yes i do have more progress! Not much, because i have been working on a paper for school recently. I cant really do much more till next week, because i need to buy some more metal at the metal yard. Im gonna buy some 1x1 tubing, and some 1x1 angle. I found out, that i need to extend the benches inside, as they are only gonna be 8 inches, when it is finished since it will be hard to sit on only 8 inches wide bench.

Got most of the floor reinforcements done ( kinda messed up with the placement of the two middle pieces)
IMAG0040.jpg

I then almost completed the front area.
IMAG0043.jpg

I Found out, i will have to put some random angle iron in the camper as brackets so i can actually screw on the inside MDF paneling when i am done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles