Generators & fuel cans how are you mounting them to you truck?

samuraiowner

as the title says I'm interested in how people have mounted there gen sets and extra gas.... as well as carrying bikes on the back in such A way that we can get in and out of the TC without having to move them every time. I don't want to carry them on the front of the truck.
I have A good idea on how to build the mounts but woiuld like to see how others have done it. If you have pictures please post them..... like thay say A picture is worth A thousand words.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrKen

I don't have any pics, but I use A Bauer bike carrier that can carry 4 bikes. I usually only carry two bikes, but with the extension to carry the 4 bikes, the two bike are a bit father away from the camper, so we can have easier access to get in. The swing away gets the biles out of the way when we are where we want to be, but they do not need to swing out to access the camper. That was A fairly good description, EH?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
When my camper was built, I had the manufacturer install extra support on the rear wall, passenger side. They used plywood behind the aluminum siding in a section. My intention, eventually, is to mount a roof rack with cross bars there. Bikes could use a fork mount on the top and hang that way, which would clear the door and not hang too far off the back. I should be able to mount snowboards vertically that way too, and attach anything else to the cross bars.

samuraiowner

MrKen if you don't mind me asking how much was the bauer bike rack? and where did you find it?

I'm against carrying any thing on the front of my truck it makes gas milage go down, every little bit helps

Attachments

• rsz_2011_vacation_024.jpg
    rsz_2011_vacation_024.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

MrKen

I don't remember the cost, it has been a few years now, 5-6 yrs. I did a quick search and did not see the one I have. I think it was about $250 or so. I think it is worth the investment. I am very happy with how it works, however a few reviews of some thing similar we not favorable. The rack will not shake if it is tightend correctly. I use the part of the frame that swings out as a step to get up to the camper, works well. If I leave the tail gate down, I use an extension with the rack, tail gate off I don't use the extension, then I also have a hitch carrier with an aluminum box in place of the tailgate then attach the bike rack. The set up I use just depends on what I am doing where I go. You could attach a generator and fuel cans to a hitch haul unit and then attach the bike rack too. Even though it does extend out the back a bit, I have not had any issue on the backroad I travel. I don't do jeep trails with all this stuff though.
I have also hauled bikes on the front. Never had a problem, but I always was thinking if it fell off, that wouldn't be good. The only issues in the front was the handle bars blocked the view a bit, and the bugs were fairly disguting on the bike when you go for a ride.

FishPOET

Adventurer
I'm against carrying any thing on the front of my truck it makes gas milage go down, every little bit helps

A truck and camper is about as aerodynamic as a brick. A couple of bicycles on the front will not make any difference at all in gas mileage.

I have mounted my generators & gas cans on the back on a rack attached to the hitch.
IMG_1422b.jpg

IMG_1871TC.jpg

And the bicycles go on the front on a Thule bike carrier attached to the front hitch.
IMG_0541a.jpg

dzzz

A truck and camper is about as aerodynamic as a brick. A couple of bicycles on the front will not make any difference at all in gas mileage.

Ah, the "Grapes of Wrath" look.

I have a hard sided popup that is even with the trucks roof line. Plus storage for bikes and whatever between the cab and camper. There is more than one way to do it.

With the camper up, matching dog, and a rainbow:

Last edited:

LimaMikeMike

Observer
Ah, the "Grapes of Wrath" look.

I have a hard sided popup that is even with the trucks roof line. Plus storage for bikes and whatever between the cab and camper. There is more than one way to do it.

With the camper up, matching dog, and a rainbow:

Nice set up, I take it you don't worry a whole lot about mileage:Wow1:

samuraiowner

I'm not trying to pick A fight but, I did A road trip and got 12 mpg. then removed the jacks from the TC and on the next trip got 13 mpg. both about 1300 miles... so the jacks hanging on the side in the wind stream have that much afect, I bet bikes on the front will too

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I'm not trying to pick A fight but, I did A road trip and got 12 mpg. then removed the jacks from the TC and on the next trip got 13 mpg. both about 1300 miles... so the jacks hanging on the side in the wind stream have that much afect, I bet bikes on the front will too

I have wondered if that would make a difference, I may try it and see.

Thanks,

FishPOET

Adventurer
There are a lot of factors involved in mpg. RPMs, vehicle weight, wind speed & direction, tire pressure, aerodynamics. All things being equal you will never convince me that leaving my jacks on the camper cost me 1 mpg. Whatever factor they may play in mpg is miniscule in comparison to the stability they bring when camping in the So Cal deserts in the wind.

Everything is give and take. On my list of priorities mpg is at the bottom of the list. Honestly, if mpg was important I'd be driving a Prius and tent camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior