What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Mitch502

Explorer
I finally put the damn thing in 4WD...since the swap, I've been fighting to get time to finish it up since I've had a kid...

Installed the SYE, made a driveshaft, installed front and rear shaft, relocated shocks, installed new shocks, swapped transfer cases, modified Boostweks' shift linkage and made some parts to get it to work, and was finally able to put it in 4wd....just in time to go hunting and not get anything. Jeep did drive for 2 hours at 75MPH each way without any problems, though!

20171110_150928 by Mitch McCoy, on Flickr

20171110_105128 by Mitch McCoy, on Flickr

Still need to install the rear flares and repaint the front flares...but the hard work is over...for now!

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Wheels are powder coated and rockrails/bumper are added. Next up are the Poison Spyder fenders.

Waiting on a couple of more parts before we do the big installs.

oQ465O.jpg

oQ4CRm.jpg

oQ4Xsq.jpg

oQ44dF.jpg

oQ4w5e.jpg

oiEKeQ.jpg

dpsmedic

Adventurer
Installed an LED Light Strip to supplement the lighting in the rear cargo area
CE6AF543-4C48-449D-A36C-D29AEC765200.jpg
Inside rear cargo area with the stock dome light on

576F804C-15D6-48D6-8016-0BA7CF82F83E.jpg
Inside rear cargo area with the new LED Light Strip on and no stock dome light on

cyoos

Bought this Monday, '94 ZJ. Got insurance and tags yesterday. Flu-ish today.
I have to figure out what the axles came out of. It has D44's front and rear, locked both ends, locking hubs on the front and 6 lug wheel pattern. 5.2 with part time/full time 4wd, and about to get 33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs to replace the Maxxis Bighorns.

Edit: ...and 6" lift.

ZJ 2 640.jpg

Last edited:

cyoos

I think the rear is from a Rodeo. It has the funky finned aluminum cover.

Edit: It has the finned aluminum cover and disc brakes. Which fits the description from this article. I haven't checked for any type of remnants of a prior sensor on top yet.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-0904-junkyard-axle-guide/

"'93-Up Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport Dana 44
Differential Location: Centered Lug
Pattern: 6-on-5.5
Good For: At 58 inches wide it's a good swap for YJs, TJs, and XJs that came with a Dana 35
Pros: Many came with 4.30 and 4.56 gears, strong housings, disc brakes, works great on late model Wranglers when matched with '80-'91 Wagoneer Dana 44 front axle
Cons: Will need to match six-lug pattern to front axle with wheel adapters or front axle swap, TJ will need link brackets located and welded in place
Identified By: Will sometimes have finned cast aluminum diff cover, looks like regular Dana 44, disc brakes, flange yoke, goofy sensor/wire on top of housing."

Last edited:

cyoos

The guy I bought my '94 ZJ (Grand Cherokee) from a couple of weeks ago ask me to let him know if I figured out why the "rpm's surged".

Well, I never noticed any surging of the tach, but the speedometer was all over the place and even read 0 at 35-40 mph a few times. I also suspected that, having the 44RE transmission that is electronically controlled through the engine computer, that was also what was causing it to "seek" between 3rd and overdrive which, in turn, did cause the rpm's to change with the shift in gearing. So my first suspicion was that the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) was bad. Since AutoZone shows what appears to be two different types of VSS's, I crawled under it about an hour ago to see which type it had. The first thing I noticed was the red speedo drive gear with 36 teeth just like I put in my '92 YJ (a real Jeep with leaf springs) a few months ago, only with the short stem. When I reinstalled it I began to wonder if it had just been clocked wrong. I couldn't see the alignment mark on the transfer case housing, so I winged it and clocked it where it seemed right, which was different than it was when I removed it. I took it for about a 5 mile drive and not only was the speedometer rock solid, but I didn't notice it seeking between 3rd and overdrive any longer.

Yes, today was a good Jeep day!

comptiger5000

Adventurer
As a note, your 94 has either a 42RE (if it's a 4.0) or a 46RH (if it's a 5.2), not a 44RE. The 42RE is mostly electronic, while the 46RH is only electronic for OD and TC lockup, the rest is all hydraulically controlled.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Started work last Wednesday on the wife's new Jeep. Axles, lift, brakes, armor, etc. Hopefully will have it finished up this Wednesday (depending on drive shafts arriving)
Once we knock this out I hope to start a trailer build for that one.

ofCw8G.jpg

cyoos

Many thank you's for that! It's a 5.2, so it would be the 46RH. That's what got me when I was looking at VSS's on Rock Auto. They didn't list the 46RH, only the 42 and 44 models. So I thought I had just crossed my wires in my reading before I got it.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Many thank you's for that! It's a 5.2, so it would be the 46RH. That's what got me when I was looking at VSS's on Rock Auto. They didn't list the 46RH, only the 42 and 44 models. So I thought I had just crossed my wires in my reading before I got it.

They probably had the years messed up on the site, as the 96 - 98 5.2 had the 44RE.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Started work last Wednesday on the wife's new Jeep. Axles, lift, brakes, armor, etc. Hopefully will have it finished up this Wednesday (depending on drive shafts arriving)
Once we knock this out I hope to start a trailer build for that one.

ofCw8G.jpg

Post more pics when able...of the Jeep that is...the way things are going these you have to be politically careful...lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles