Closer and Closer to Biting the Bullet on a KLR650

jmdjax

Adventurer
:bike_rider:

I just missed one used '09 at a St. Augustine dealer this past week.

I wanted to try to find one with hard panniers already to save that expense in the aftermarket. I made a promise to myself that while looking at motorcycles I NEED to pick something with hard, waterproof cases to keep the practicality of driving it nearly daily.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Also what years are the best? I looked so far at an '06 and the '09.

There are plenty of '11s around but I don't think I want to spend the money on a new one.

:bike_rider:

I just missed one used '09 at a St. Augustine dealer this past week.

I wanted to try to find one with hard panniers already to save that expense in the aftermarket. I made a promise to myself that while looking at motorcycles I NEED to pick something with hard, waterproof cases to keep the practicality of driving it nearly daily.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Also what years are the best? I looked so far at an '06 and the '09.

There are plenty of '11s around but I don't think I want to spend the money on a new one.

Don't limit your choices to hard panniers, there are these bags that work very well. http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collections/giant-loop-gear-collection
Made in USA is also a plus.:sombrero:

jmdjax

Adventurer
Well I just called to follow up on the three KLR650s I found near me and ALL of them are sold.

:Wow1:

Guess I'll just have to keep waiting..

I guess my point was I wanted the little extras on a used bike opposed to a new bike and having to dish out extra thousand or so for that stuff.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Any particular reason you are limiting your search to the KLR?

. . . not saying there is anything wrong with a KLR, but there are several other options out there for that size of a bike (DR, DL, GS, . . .).

jmdjax

Adventurer
No, I simply like the look of the KLR above the other comparable models. I rode a Suzuki (DR? I cant remember) and it wasn't as comfortable to me.

Kevinj110

Observer
I don't see why you are not looking at 2011s most dealers will let you finance the hard panniers in or the pelican based ones from moose are pretty good. I just think of it this way buy new no one has messed with it or torn anything up and they are only a bit more expensive than an older used model.

jmdjax

Adventurer
I don't see why you are not looking at 2011s most dealers will let you finance the hard panniers in or the pelican based ones from moose are pretty good. I just think of it this way buy new no one has messed with it or torn anything up and they are only a bit more expensive than an older used model.

Well first because I have bad credit. But also I read the older models were better and most people recommend them? Is there any reason the older models would be better?

Well first because I have bad credit. But also I read the older models were better and most people recommend them? Is there any reason the older models would be better?

I think it would depend on what you wish to do with this bike.
If your going to do a lot of off road riding, the fixed fairing on the newer models is a fail.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
When people say the "old" ones are better, they are referring to the '07 and older model years. The older ones had slightly more travel and a little less plastic. I also like the looks better, but I'm biased with a black '07 myself that I picked up last year. I would also not limit yourself to hard luggage, but they may prove to be better for commuting.

I just spent a long weekend in VA and West VA two weeks ago and I fell in love with this bike all over again. It's not great on the highway or on single track, but it was SOOO much fun on the gravel forest roads and twisty back roads.

Good luck with the purchase.

Don

-

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Primarily on road but i do want the capability of mild off road - trails, gravel etc.

If by 'mild off road', you are referring to maintained fire roads, etc., then all the plastic on the newer KLRs isn't such a liability. If you're referring to unmaintained 2-track and bits of primarily non-technical single track, then the plastic on the newer models becomes more vulnerable.

That's not to imply that the plastic on the newer models is going to shatter the first time you drop the bike . . . they'll put up with a bit of abuse -- just not as much as the earlier models.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Engine guards definitely help keep the plastic intact. My biggest problem with the plastic is the effort required to remove enough of it to get the fuel tank off!

The biggest potential problem with the 2008+ KLR 650 is outrageous oil consumption. Many don't suffer from this, many do. Mine (2008) did and the original owner solved it with the Schnitz Racing 685 kit. The bike hasn't used a drop over the almost 10K miles I've been beating on it.

The other classic KLR doohickey (cam chain tensioner) problem isn't as big a deal on the 2008+ model as the earlier design but the stock spring is too long and doesn't keep good tension. My bike has almost 20K miles and I probably need to think about maybe fixing it someday.

One plus for the KLR over other similar bikes is fuel tank size and therefore range. Its also cheap, especially if you let the first owner pay for the massive initial depreciation and some useful fixes and farkles.

Smooth it is not, especially if you replace the stock footpegs and remove the handlebar end weights to add hand guards. That said I can ride for 4+ hours at 80+ MPH. Slower is definitely comfier.

Light it is not, either.

Another good option and great deal for better road manners and the occasional fire trail is a Suzuki VStrom.

That said I still like my KLR and its served me well so far.

Good luck!

jmdjax

Adventurer
Engine guards definitely help keep the plastic intact. My biggest problem with the plastic is the effort required to remove enough of it to get the fuel tank off!

The biggest potential problem with the 2008+ KLR 650 is outrageous oil consumption. Many don't suffer from this, many do. Mine (2008) did and the original owner solved it with the Schnitz Racing 685 kit. The bike hasn't used a drop over the almost 10K miles I've been beating on it.

The other classic KLR doohickey (cam chain tensioner) problem isn't as big a deal on the 2008+ model as the earlier design but the stock spring is too long and doesn't keep good tension. My bike has almost 20K miles and I probably need to think about maybe fixing it someday.

One plus for the KLR over other similar bikes is fuel tank size and therefore range. Its also cheap, especially if you let the first owner pay for the massive initial depreciation and some useful fixes and farkles.

Smooth it is not, especially if you replace the stock footpegs and remove the handlebar end weights to add hand guards. That said I can ride for 4+ hours at 80+ MPH. Slower is definitely comfier.

Light it is not, either.

Another good option and great deal for better road manners and the occasional fire trail is a Suzuki VStrom.

That said I still like my KLR and its served me well so far.

Good luck!

Hey thanks!

I did look at vstroms but they were all more expensive. At first I thought they were ugly but now I'm ok with the looks, though. Still cant find a decent used one around though.

I just posted another thread too regarding the klr vs. F650gs I found.

Trenchfighter

I just picked up a 99 KLR and commute on a daily basis....about 50 miles round trip each day. I love the bike, it will do 85mph easy but is very comfortable at 70-75 range. I have a smaller pelican case mounted to the rear rack that is lockable, and I have wolfman saddlebags and tank side bags mounted on it. This combination gives me plenty of room for lockable waterproof storage and additional room for everything else. I have a tall windshield and the bike is lowered which fits me perfect. I paid $1800 for the bike and it had 11k miles on it.....this is a great bike averaging about 50 mpgs on it. You wont be disappointed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne