The Tundra Supertool

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Not much yet, but I finally have the truck in the drive way.:wings: I have been talking Toyota truck for almost two years now, and finally I can start playing with one. We have purchased an '05 Double Cab. It was owned by a gentleman from Honduras, who knew how to take care of a vehicle. It is in great shape. I will get better shots of it later. I have plans that I will also discuss later, but for now here it is. Haggis should be happy, because he specifically told me not to get silver so that we could tell them apart on EXPO.

Attachments

• New Tundra.jpg.jpg
    New Tundra.jpg.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 420

Derek24

Explorer
Wow nice truck! If I could repaint my truck it would be that color. I wish I had your rear roll down window :( Congrats!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Thanks for all of the comments.
I hope that Leatherman does not sue over the use of their name for my thread. I chose the name super-tool for the thread, because this truck will have to do just about everything.

On the way home yesterday, with some city driving, freeway, and one really good mountain pass at 70 mph, we averaged 18.9 mpg.

I have to point out two really funny things that need instant attention. The tonneau cover hangs off the back of the truck. The dealer's flunkies out in the service department did not put it on correctly and the PO did not fix it. If it takes more than 10 minutes tonight I will be shocked.

Also it has chrome nerf bars, which unfortunately I need so my little ones can climb in. If you look closely at the picture, you will see that the black steps are not under the doors anywhere close to where you need to put your feet. They are actually on the wrong side. I need to swap sides with them and then they will be right. I am considering painting them black until I can put on a good step slider. I love the ones Dude built for his Tundra. If he lived closer I'd put in my order.

How much sanding of the chrome is needed for a good adherence of paint? Just cloud up the shine?

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
First Mod complete/ First off road

Mod: I fixed the tonneau cover. You can see that I had a little help. It took me all of 5 min. I included a before an after picture.

Off road: Then I took the family out for a spin to let the Tundra stretch its legs. I found that it does not have limited slip, or off road like the Jeep. You can see by the pics that the rear flexes rather well.

Also the kids are showing off their favorite option on the truck. Derek they like the back window too.

Attachments

• Tundra 003.jpg
    Tundra 003.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Tundra 004.jpg
    Tundra 004.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Tundra 005.jpg
    Tundra 005.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Tundra 006.jpg
    Tundra 006.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Tundra 008.jpg
    Tundra 008.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Tundra 009.jpg
    Tundra 009.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Tundra 007.jpg
    Tundra 007.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 339

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Tires what to do?

I am trying to decide what to do about tires. I'd like to run the largest BFG AT. I can run 265/70 17s without doing anything. If I buy spacers and Bilstein 5100s I can run the 285/70 17s.
However:
$220.00 spacers
$100.00 285s
$320.00

I don't have that kind of fundage because the tires are already over a grand. :Wow1: I think that if I stay with the 265s my wife will not bock too loudly at 5100s now. Then at least I can have decent tires the front end can be leveled.

Last edited:

C-Fish

Adventurer
I'd look at the Hankook Dynapro ATM in lieu of the BFG.

Stick with the 265/70/17 size.

I have the Hankook's (265's) on my FJC and absolutely love them...over 24K thus far, still have 10/32's of tread.

3" lift makes them look a little small, but I don't sacrifice the DD ability.

With 265's and a leveling lift, they'd look perfect.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
It's coming along

5100s have been ordered from Tire Rack. Should be here Wednesday.:wings: Significantly cheaper than any tire store in town. I have a friend that has a tire store and said he'd help me put them on after hours.

Thanks to Costco, my tires will be less than a grand.:victory: My local Big O will match the price, so I will have the 265/70R17.
Some day backspaced AR Teflon coated 16's with the 285's. That day will come but after a bed liner, winch bumper, and a pop up camper.

I stated in an earlier post that my truck did not have a LSD. However I was mistaken. It has electronic LSD in the rear, but only in 2WD. What on earth were the Toyota engineers thinking when they designed it to deactiviate in 4WD?:( It would be a tank if it worked in 4WD. Is there some kind of mod that can be done to keep it active in 4WD?

Last edited:

the dude

Adventurer
That doesn't make sense on the LSD?? Not sure what you have back there but I have never heard of an electronic LSD. How do you know it's not working in 4wd?

BTW, Limited slip difs suck most of the time. Actually, I don't know when they are a good thing. Save your pennies and buy and ARB for the rear.

Semper Paratus

Observer
JCMATTHEWS...

Love your thread and just thought i would say hello from another utahn. I work with troubled teens and i brought one down to price last week for court and i think i might have seen your tundra. Possibly could have been someone else but i was totally scoping it out.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Prolaby was

There are very few of them in town. I think that there are only two 1st generation DCs mine and a white one. There are only a few access cabs. If you saw a gray (that's phantom gray pearl) DC with a tonneau cover it was mine.

Edit: I have been thinking about your sighting, and I was at the tire store across the street from the court house Friday afternoon for about an hour. Is that where you saw it?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles