'08 Kawasaki KLR650 vs. '07 BMW F650GS

jmdjax

Adventurer
Hey guys,

On my never ending search, I found two similarly priced bikes. I have never ridden a BMW motorcycle, and it is out of town, but given the two options, what are the differences? The BMW looks, well, smaller, in the photos, but it also looks more comfortable.
How about riding 2-up? What about power?

I dunno. I suppose I will have to see them both and try them both out before making a decision, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say between the two here on the Portal.

Thanks!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The '07 650GS is going to have a lot more power than the KLR. Something in the neighborhood of 53hp vs 35hp.

I don't think either of them are suitable for long distance 2-up travel where freeway speeds are a factor. A loaded 650gs with a single rider will struggle at 80mph when you start climbing hills (been there, done that).

The BMW will be smoother at speed too - but it is still a single cylinder. None of the singles are as smooth as the multi-cylinder bikes.

The BMW will have higher maintenance costs per service - but they have a 6,000 mile service interval. I'm not sure what the interval on the KLR is. I was able to 99% of the maintenance on my 650GS at home with a basic tool set and the factory service manual (the only thing I couldn't do was cycle the ABS to flush the brake system).

My '07 650GS averaged just over 70mpg when we did the TAT in 2007. That is considerably better than you will get with the KLR.

I believe the KLR is lighter than the GS - but the GS has an under-seat fuel tank, so it carries the weight lower than the KLR.

Both bikes are popular, but I think the KLR enjoys a larger pool of followers than the BMW - I also think that overall, the BMW geeks are more dedicated to the brand, which can induce a bit of myopia - so take any comparisons between BMW's and anything else with a grain of salt.

In the end - both are good bikes.

Sorry, but I can't help myself:Wow1:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961&highlight=slapped&page=9
brokenbmw.jpg

bmwbroken.jpg

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hey guys,

On my never ending search, I found two similarly priced bikes. I have never ridden a BMW motorcycle, and it is out of town, but given the two options, what are the differences? The BMW looks, well, smaller, in the photos, but it also looks more comfortable.
How about riding 2-up? What about power?

I dunno. I suppose I will have to see them both and try them both out before making a decision, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say between the two here on the Portal.

Thanks!

You owe to yourself to test ride both bikes. I have ridden both and if you test both you will own the BMW.

Full discloser I ride a Dakar:bike_rider:

jmdjax

Adventurer
Ok. The BMW was sold before I got a chance to get down there. Doh!

Problem.. Now I'm unsure I want a KLR. :(

A quick search on cycletradrr and craigslist finds no other f650gs' anywhere...

&$&@@)(!!!!

jmdjax

Adventurer
Ok lets revisit all of this. I have between 4k and $4,500 to spend. I like the BMWs. Klrs can be found everywhere for those prices. The dealer felt bad and offered me a ducati monster instead. Love em but it was too expensive. Vstrom would be awesome but I cant find any anywhere. Thinking I want to lean more toward street styling than the dirt bike KLR styling now.. I found a Suzuki bandit in my price range and know nothing about them. Based on some reviews and posts I'm worried the KLR will be underpowered for street which honestly is 99.8% of the riding I will be doing.

Crap!

I had my heart set on that F650GS... I want an F650GS! Insurance was cheap for me on both the KLR and the GS. For a 26 year old $22 a month is great for insurance!

Someone help me out! I'm in a pickle.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
F650GSs are tough to come by. They sell quick and usually for top $$$.

Two years ago I sold my '07 650GS w/25K on it for $7500 (yea - that's what I paid for it in late '06). You usually have to have a stack of cash and be ready to jump when you see them.

The KLR is not a bad bike - it just isn't going to be happy running down the freeway at 85mph (if it will do 85 . . .). If you're willing to travel at 70mph - the KLR will do it (and for a lot less $$$ than the BMW).

If you're leaning farther towards the street side, you might also consider a late model triumph scrambler. It should be in your budget, they're cool bikes, will handle non-technical dirt roads, . . .

Ok lets revisit all of this. I have between 4k and $4,500 to spend. I like the BMWs. Klrs can be found everywhere for those prices. The dealer felt bad and offered me a ducati monster instead. Love em but it was too expensive. Vstrom would be awesome but I cant find any anywhere. Thinking I want to lean more toward street styling than the dirt bike KLR styling now.. I found a Suzuki bandit in my price range and know nothing about them. Based on some reviews and posts I'm worried the KLR will be underpowered for street which honestly is 99.8% of the riding I will be doing.

Crap!

I had my heart set on that F650GS... I want an F650GS! Insurance was cheap for me on both the KLR and the GS. For a 26 year old $22 a month is great for insurance!

Someone help me out! I'm in a pickle.

Take a hard look at the DL650 V-Strom. $4500 is a mad down payment on a bulletproof bike that is more street oriented than the KLR or the BMW.

They are damned tough to find used, but there are places if you know where to look. Head over to www.stromtrooper.com and www.advrider.com for good deals on used bikes.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
If you are truly longing for a particular bike, then you should get that bike. Otherwise, you will always be longing for the one that got away.

Some additional thoughts: If you're finding similar age F650GS and KLRs for similar prices, either the BMW is way undervalued or has a problem or the KLR is way overpriced. Just last year you could find brand new leftover KLRs for $3995. Even early (2001-3) F650s seem to bottom out at close to $4K.

That's not a knock on the KLR - that's part of what makes them so great: They're cheap. Both the KLR and F650 fill the same niche: a heavy, street oriented, single cylinder, right out of the box adventure bike. Both are known for their durability and each have well documented issues. EFI being the biggest difference between the two.

If you're planning significant street time, you don't lose much offroad going to a VStrom or Versys and gain a lot on the road. Personally, I would go with one of those street oriented twins before I would get either of the heavy singles. But still, get the one YOU like.:bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz