Bolting down wood frame campers?

1stDeuce

Explorer
Greetings, short time lurker, first time poster...
So I'm planning to pick up a '94 Hallmark Ute this weekend to use exploring Colorado and the west in general this summer, both for me on weekends and for my parents, who will come visit from MI for a few weeks and do some traveling.

I have an '06 GMC K2500 CCSB that it's going on, and I'm thinking I might like to just bolt it down to the truck rather than worry about turnbuckles and mounting brackets.

I know some of the alum frame campers are bolted down, but does anyone have experience with bolting the wood framed campers down? I looked at a '93 Ute that had been bolted to the bed of a '93 Chevy all its life and it seemed fine.
Also, would I bolt through my rubber bed mat, or remove the mat and have the camper directly on the bed of the truck. My B&W hitch doesn't stick up above the bed rails, so it shouldn't be a problem. I think I can get some weight to the tailgate if I take the mat out...
Thanks for any input you can provide!
Chris

My Four Wheel Camper is bolted down. Even on the aluminum framed FWC the lower section is all wood so the process of bolting yours down should be the same. Check out post #45 on my thread to get an idea.

I would also remove the rubber mat.

rotti

Adventurer
My FWC camper was bolted through the floor with four elevator bolts and had a rubber bed mat underneath. Worked fine for 20 some years. My understanding is that the rubber mat helps prevent any movement of the camper. Think sticky.

To be sure though I would give Hallmark a call to get their opinion. They seemed very helpful in my past experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles