Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Conversion

teleturns

Adventurer
Nice drop knee...I'm too old, I need to lock the heel. Nice pics of Texas' favorite local ski hill...just kidding! Cali got a late season dump, too. Mammoth is having another "late to start" year and the local hills are still open. Anxious to see the progress on the camper. :sombrero:

Man if you think Wolf Creek is Texas' favorite hill you have never been to Ski Apache, Red River, or Angel Fire in New Mexico. Howdy Yall!

I have always dreamed about hitting every ski hill...especially the small locals... in the western U.S. using a camper. "Dirtbagging" it in the parking lot, etc. Your rig will certainly serve that purpose. Good luck...subscribed. :sombrero: And yes...Angel Fire is popular with the 10-gallon hat bunch. What a bummer to have to drive like hell to get to the closest skiing.

zukrider

Explorer
just found and read this. great info! i have a few ???'s

at starting with a $500 camper. based on what is actually being reused, would/could it have been cheaper/easier to start scratch? im not sure if you ever looked into getting canvas or building a roof. this would have made it easier to get the overcab you wanted.

At the point you are now, what changes would you have made? if any?

im looking at putting a used pop-up on a flat bed that i build based on said aquired camper. i had planned to do the tool box to fill the hole trick, especially since i like outside storage for wheeling stuff and fluids. but i figure that any "budget" used camper will most likely need some floor work. so i was gonna delete the little hump and make the floor wider. but not "full" width.

i really like the outer finish of yours! also dig the side entrance!

teleturns

Adventurer
just found and read this. great info! i have a few ???'s

at starting with a $500 camper. based on what is actually being reused, would/could it have been cheaper/easier to start scratch? im not sure if you ever looked into getting canvas or building a roof. this would have made it easier to get the overcab you wanted.

At the point you are now, what changes would you have made? if any?

im looking at putting a used pop-up on a flat bed that i build based on said aquired camper. i had planned to do the tool box to fill the hole trick, especially since i like outside storage for wheeling stuff and fluids. but i figure that any "budget" used camper will most likely need some floor work. so i was gonna delete the little hump and make the floor wider. but not "full" width.

i really like the outer finish of yours! also dig the side entrance!

zukrider

You have a good point about $500 camper vs. starting from scratch. Originally I did not intend to get this involved. But I did think about building a new roof and ordering a longer canvas from ATC or FWC. I think new canvas is in the $800 to $1200 range, but I am really not sure. So it is a toss up. The $500 camper also got me a sink, stove, windows, and furnace.

As for changes I really wish my door (I had already purchased for the old version of the camper) opened to the right. If so, I could have located it more toward the rear of the camper on the side. I am also not too happy about the heighth of the ceiling inside the camper. I lost an inch due to the way I built the floor and did not realize it until it was too late. One other thing is that I wish I would have used 1/8 angle aluminum for the frame instead of 1/16 square and reusing existing pieces. Then the e-panels could have been "dropped" into the angle frame from the inside.

This was all a learning expience and if I was going to build a new camper I would attempt to build one from scratch like Westyss's Build. I really dig the hard sided pop-ups and I think his build is one of the best I have seen.

There was also the thought that I didn't want to work on a camper for several years. I want to use it now! So the sooner I get it done the better. I think we will use this one for 5 years and then I will maybe build a new one. Or maybe I will win the lottery and be able to buy something over the top!:sombrero:

teleturns

Adventurer
How in the hell can 4 days off go by and nothing gets done?......

Got the propane door installed...needs some touch up on paint.

20120422_184043.jpg

20120422_184102.jpg

20120422_184018.jpg

20120422_184029.jpg

20120422_183939.jpg

20120422_183958.jpg

20120422_184006.jpg

Looks like a lunar lander I think....I need to slide the jack bodies down. I also need to start pulling the vinyl covering off of the panels.

teleturns

Adventurer
Its update time....

Peeled of all of the e-panel protective film.

I also started working on the interior. Installing the 1" poly foam and started working on the storage areas. Plus the GF cleaned all of the canvas and it is now ready for a coat of 303 protectant.

20120427_144154.jpg

20120429_162636.jpg

20120429_162644.jpg

20120429_162707.jpg

20120429_162606.jpg

20120429_162617.jpg

20120429_162622.jpg

I also have a dilemma....I can't decide if I should build steps like these
oh_stair_d.jpg

or if I should spend the $250 on the Torklift Glowsteps
glowstepglow.jpg

I am trying to get this thing usable for OX12 and time is on the short side.

Thoughts....?

Last edited:

Ponyracer

Adventurer
I was thinking about the step delema awhile back, and came up with another posibility. I am using something similar to the first set but made from ally and hinged on the edge of the deck of the flatbed. Built as narrow as possible and held vertical to the side of the camper with a quick pin in a hinge mechanism. You can also add a couple round recievers for a slide in handrail that would simply drop in to them once open. Only drawback is it would ad some width to the side of the camper. I will be recessing my door for just this reason. Mine will also be lockable in the up or down position to aid in security, like a screen security door would.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have steps similar to the glow steps and while they work they do not have a great feeling of stability.

If you build add a railing, REALLY nice in frozen or wet weather.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Just take up rock climbing and forget the steps! :)

Just kidding. I bet making your own steps would be more space efficient but do you want to spend the extra time? You already mentioned that you were wanting to get it done so you could get out with it.

It is looking awesome btw! I really want to copy this whole thing.

teleturns

Adventurer
Just take up rock climbing and forget the steps! :)

Just kidding. I bet making your own steps would be more space efficient but do you want to spend the extra time? You already mentioned that you were wanting to get it done so you could get out with it.

It is looking awesome btw! I really want to copy this whole thing.

I thought a rope ladder would be easy to build......but then I forgot about the dogs....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles