Bike advice for my Truck

Holger

Observer
I am in the early planning state to build a overlander truck to explore Austrailia and maybe the world. It will be built on a Fuso cassis and be a bit like the Earthcuiser. Now my question: I wanna fix a bike to the rear of the truck to be able to go shopping without breaking camp, or to be able to scout out the best way.....
Which bike would you recommend?
It needs to:
be relatively lightweight
be able to carry 2 persons
be a dirt bike
Street legal

doesn't need to be extremely powerful
won't be a highway bike

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Holger, Welcome to Expo.

Obviously this is my opinion only........... I just bought a Strom and there is no way I'd say stick that out the back of a camper.Way too big. You want some thing as light as possible. A Madass would be cool and super light but if you want a dirtbike then that wouldn't cut it either.

I also reckon you need about 250cc if you intend to double and if it's only for relatively short hops to the shop or to duck down some rainforest track then that should be enough. No you aren't going to be comfortable on the highway but as a support bike that meets the criteria you described, I think that size would be fine.

Ag bikes are a great option. Yamaha do a good AG 200 and you'll find parts and service for them in every outback town with more than 2 pubs. Just not sure if you can get them with a double seat.......hmmm. No rocketship but very compact and ultra practical. Come with stuff like big mudflaps, crash bars, very comprehensive toolkit, enclosed chain, front and rear racks, knobbies, handbrake, oversize side stand, etc. ...extra low seat and overall height too which should make them easier to load on to a high rack ......well, I presume your rack will be extra high if it's going onto the back of an expedition-style FG. BTW PM me if you need a winch arm to drag your bike up to a high rack. I know a guy that makes racks that clip into a 2" reciever and they have a little winch arm that is removable....so it sort of goes in the end of the rack and you use this electric winch with a pocket remote control to drag your bike up. Then remove and stow the winch arm and you're away. Makes loading a bike up high a much safer proposition, especially if you are on your own.

picture2010%5C128255315101.jpg

The KL 250 or Sherpa below is probably the pick of the Ag bikes although you could almost call that a proper trailbike. These things are relatively cheap but all the Japanese makers do good little bikes like this too so have a look around at what's on offer.

Resized330x235_D1388101024342_A.jpg

If you are on a super tight budget and still want something brand new then these fit the bill....they are a Yamaha TW 200 knock off.....called a Laro V Retro 250. I don't know too much about them but as genuine TW's are about as rare as honest politicians here in Australia...then they might be worth a look. Perfect for a little trip up the beach too........ and that seat looks like it would be a bit more comfortable for your missus than your average pillion seat on a conventional 250 trailie.

Resized640x480_D817600540032_A.jpg

We made a hydraulic bike lift for one of our Fuso motorhomes a couple of years back and the owner imported a Rokon Trailbreaker to hang off it. Crazy bike but definitely suited the truck. That whole rack with the spare wheels, Rokon (also another mini pitbike which isn't shown) and the outboard comes down to the ground with the push of a button . Cool huh?
3400016831_71cd3e0739_z.jpg

4352962557_9db0b74035_z.jpg

Good luck mate.

Regards John

BTW where are you based????

Last edited:

Paladin

Banned
WR250R. Lighter than a DRZ400, almost as much power. Better suspension and power than any other 250 dual-sport. Happily cruises at 75mpg with a 6 speed tranny. Not very expensive.

I understand you guys can get a WR250F street legal. I traded an F to get my X, and haven't looked back. The R/X is much better on the road than the F.

Holger

Observer
My first idea was TW200. that would be ideal. But you are right, hard to come by.
I might just go and have a look what comes around for the right price, somehow all the bikes are ok, but none really grapped my heart yet.
Sherpa and the Yamaha sound allright, I will investigate...
That green Warrior truck was parked next to me for a couple of day's in Kalgoorlie. Sweet, but way out of my price range!
I am close to Byron Bay.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That green Warrior truck was parked next to me for a couple of day's in Kalgoorlie. Sweet, but way out of my price range!

Haha.........the leather lounge in it alone cost more than all my cars, bikes, boat and surfboards added together . Did you meet the owners? Very nice couple.

etbadger

Adventurer
We went for a Honda XR250 for a few reasons:

Fits 2 (though not terribly comfortable)
Can hit 65mph (~100kph) 2-up on the highway if we have to (barely)
Air cooled simplicity
Used ones are cheap and plentiful all over
Design has been reasonably stagnant for a long time, so parts everywhere and cheap.
Simple maintenance (adjusted valves in the middle of nowhere - no change needed)
Light enough I can heft it up onto the carrier by myself without too much fear of injury (a nifty lift as above would sure be appreciated though)
Miserly on fuel, and extended range tanks are plentiful.

2007-01%20-%20Death%20Valley,%20CA%20142.jpg

(pardon the watermark, finding our photos all over the net)

-e

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz