#5 on Scott's expo rig list

zimm

Expedition Leader
i thought it was funny, that being an LC 100 body owner and a G owner, and driving them back to back weekly, that someone with a heck of allot more exposure placed them about where i would. i feel so.... validated. my self worth is up.

but for the reasons you bring up, i think i would i may have bumped up the LC80. those a cheap to buy "build up" and recondition nowadays.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
One correction to Scott's "Pros". Civilian models are not "lightly armored from the factory". Well built, yes; but not armored in any way from the factory.

Last edited:

koly

Observer
One correction to Scott's "Pros". Civilian models are not "lightly armored from the factory". Well built, yes; but not armored in any way from the factory.
I guessed he was referring to the factory front and rear skid plates (I'm as-su-ming "armor" in this article was not referring to the ballistic variety).

thairish

Observer
Curious why safety is again not a critical attribute being taken into consideration, as it is/was a big one for me. Anyone driving bad roads in developing countries with all types of things (both vehicular & non) as well as drivers (experienced & inexperienced, licensed & non) on the road should understand what I am talking about. Being outside the US, I have a lot of other models to choose from, at least several of which are arguably better than what has been readily available in the US market. Noncompliance to US safety standards could well be the deciding factor why some otherwise very capable models have yet to hit US shores. Oversight?

zimm

Expedition Leader

methinks you took that the wrong way. he owns one.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Curious why safety is again not a critical attribute being taken into consideration, as it is/was a big one for me. Anyone driving bad roads in developing countries with all types of things (both vehicular & non) as well as drivers (experienced & inexperienced, licensed & non) on the road should understand what I am talking about. Being outside the US, I have a lot of other models to choose from, at least several of which are arguably better than what has been readily available in the US market. Noncompliance to US safety standards could well be the deciding factor why some otherwise very capable models have yet to hit US shores. Oversight?

in the title it says pics for north america. by excluding illegal and grey trucks, hes already taken that into consideration. nothing on the list didnt pass.

Scott Brady

Founder
This is not a list of my personal favorites, but a list of what I would recommend someone new to the concept of overland international travel purchase.

I do love my little 5-speed Discovery, but G-Wagen ownership has slowly pulled me in the Graz direction. We have an overage of vehicles at the moment, but if I was looking for another personal vehicle, it would be a G500 - no question.

And that is not because the G500 is the best vehicle ever, but because it fits my needs, nature and expectations for what my personal vehicle should be. I am eclectic person - the G-Klass is a thing of beauty to me.

thairish

Observer
in the title it says pics for north america. by excluding illegal and grey trucks, hes already taken that into consideration. nothing on the list didnt pass.

correct -- they all passed, but results should have varied right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94