Kamparoo Project - New Frame and Axle, Extra Space, Advice Needed

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I believe you will need to move the axle a lil farther back to give yourself more tongue weight. If there is not enough weight it's going to induce sway at highway speeds. Also, Here is the kit I use for spring hangars. They are also available in individual pieces or kits. They are reproduction Jeep CJ parts. You can get the front (for 2" wide springs) or rear kit (for 2.5" wide springs). I use Jeep (CJ, YJ or wagoneer) leaf springs with them. They are longer to provide good travel and good weight carrying capability. Here's the links and pics:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=15304

images.ashx

Last edited:

mmuthart

Observer
I believe you will need to move the axle a lil farther back to give yourself more tongue weight. If there is not enough weight it's going to induce sway at highway speeds. Also, Here is the kit I use for spring hangars. They are also available in individual pieces or kits. They are reproduction Jeep CJ parts. You can get the front (for 2" wide springs) or rear kit (for 2.5" wide springs). I use Jeep (CJ, YJ or wagoneer) leaf springs with them. They are longer to provide good travel and good weight carrying capability.

I appreciate your thoughts on this! I've already convinced myself the axle position will be okay when the trailer is finished and loaded. There will be diamond plate in front of the Kamparoo to add weight (although it may be aluminum). In front of the large box will be another box to house a battery. And in between the Kamparoo and box you see in the picture will be a 300lb DRZ 400 for most trips. I could also put a water tank underneath to help bias the weight.

Most of all, I think it just looks a little weird with the axle where it is, almost all pics. of trailers I see have the axle pushed back. I think with the way it will be built and loaded it will be okay. Have I convinced you yet? Still trying to convince myself...

Thanks for the link to the spring hanger kit. I was originally looking for such a thing, but decided to go with 30" trailer springs. That kit cost about as much as my whole axle. It would have been nice but ultimately overkill and I decided it wasn't worth the expense.

BUT - if someone convinces me I MUST move my axle back then I may reconsider since the hangers will all have to be redone.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Just because it is raining cats n dogs and nothing is getting done outside and to keep the project fresh in my mind. Here is my rendition with a service body type trailer and the Kamparoo slid into it. I might even be able to find some of those 'porkchop' boxes that go around the wheelwells of pickup trucks to use as the sides

Yours looks like it'll be fine with the axle that far ahead. The tent section weighs nothing compared to watertanks, propane, batteries, motorcycles etc that will be out front.

attachment.php

Kamparoo on custom trailer.jpg

mmuthart

Observer
Just because it is raining cats n dogs and nothing is getting done outside and to keep the project fresh in my mind. Here is my rendition with a service body type trailer and the Kamparoo slid into it. I might even be able to find some of those 'porkchop' boxes that go around the wheelwells of pickup trucks to use as the sides

Yours looks like it'll be fine with the axle that far ahead. The tent section weighs nothing compared to watertanks, propane, batteries, motorcycles etc that will be out front.

attachment.php

View attachment 61894

Nice drawing again! I like the concept. I had an old International quadcab with a service bed on it for just a little while. Storage potential was excellent. Although you will pay a weight penalty.

I think you'll have to do a taller rack on top of the Kamparoo to compensate for the extra height it is off the ground. Or I suppose just weld on some longer adjustable legs to the existing rack to reach the ground. This will be the last part I tackle on my build. I plan on replacing the top rack altogether with a larger and taller unit.

alia176

Explorer
Looks fantastic! I think your Roo came with slipper springs, and I see that now you're going with captured end springs. Should you use shock absorbers to control the bouncing?

mmuthart

Observer
Looks fantastic! I think your Roo came with slipper springs, and I see that now you're going with captured end springs. Should you use shock absorbers to control the bouncing?

Yup, the Roo had 'slippers.' And yes, I plan on figuring out how to do a shock setup. I'll take any advice in this regards....

I'll get a couple more pics. up tonight to show recent progress:

1. Welded on 'tabs' to main frame to secure the Kamparoo to the new frame.
2. Welded on 'screw' type leveling jacks for the back of the frame.

I'm planning on picking up 20 feet of 2" square tubing today at lunch to start work on the fender supports and side extensions for fuel, gas, motobike, etc...

mmuthart

Observer
Made some good progress last night. I'm definitely not fast at fabbing and welding, but it sure is satisfying to stand back and check out your work at the end of the night.

1st picture shows the supports at the back of the trailer. These are made by BAL and I welded them to the bottom of the frame. Someone else on the ExpoPortal used these and mounted in the same orientation - Great idea! I'll fab some 'loops' that will protect them against being dragged on the ground.

Also in this pic., you can see part of my solution to mount the Kamparoo to the new frame. The Kamparoo has angle iron across the front and back that tie into the frame rails; this was a very simple solution to mounting the Kamparoo and it will be removable if ever need be.

4th pic. shows what the rear corners will look like. There's room for a Jerry can. I'm thinking about doing a spare tire mount on the other side or I'll put it underneath, haven't decided yet.

3rd pic. shows the front section almost complete. It's just missing one piece of 2x2 that will angle in to the frame where the tongue begins. You can also see how the fenders will sit. I haven't welded them in place yet.

2nd pic. shows how the front of the Kamparoo will be secured to the frame.

Attachments

• KampBuild_1.jpg
    KampBuild_1.jpg
    1,015 KB · Views: 163
  • KampBuild_4.jpg
    KampBuild_4.jpg
    920.2 KB · Views: 148
  • KampBuild_3.jpg
    KampBuild_3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 209
  • KampBuild_2.jpg
    KampBuild_2.jpg
    928.9 KB · Views: 159

lowenbrau

Explorer
Looking great! This is going to be a fantastic trailer. The axle position doesn't look forward at all anymore. I really like the rub rails tapering in toward the frame behind the fender.

If you don't mind sharing a few dimensions, How wide was your axle and how wide are the fenders?

mmuthart

Observer
Looking great! This is going to be a fantastic trailer. The axle position doesn't look forward at all anymore. I really like the rub rails tapering in toward the frame behind the fender.

If you don't mind sharing a few dimensions, How wide was your axle and how wide are the fenders?

Thanks! Agreed, with the fender in place the axle position doesn't look so awkward. I'm glad I left it where it was.

The axle ended up being 67" WMS to WMS. The fenders are 12" wide. Got them from Sierra4x4Trailers. Very happy with the fenders; they are 14 gauge steel and nicely made. They were $80 for the pair, which I thought was reasonable.

mmuthart

Observer
Father's Day Update...

I got my wish for Father's Day - some quality time in the garage....

I pretty much have the 'frame' done and am ready to move on to the diamond plate. I think I'm going to go with aluminum diamond plate and rivet it to the frame rails. Before the rivets, I'm thinking I will inquire on the cost of having the frame powder coated. Another option I'm considering is doing Al's Liner over the entire frame.

The vertical post towards the front is the mechanism to secure the dirt bike. I got the idea from a homemade receiver motorcycle carrier that came with my bike when I bought it. It's just 'mocked' up for the picture, but the piece with duct tape slides up and down on the vertical bar, it will slide down over the seat and then be pinned into place with the suspension slightly compressed. With the wheels strapped in place the bike will be very secure. As yo can see in the pic., the whole mechanism can be removed if the bike is not going on the trip. I could then use the space for maybe my cooler.

I still have to do a new rack for the top of the Kamparoo, but that will be the last step.

Attachments

• FinFrame_4.JPG
    FinFrame_4.JPG
    973.8 KB · Views: 118
  • FinFrame_1.JPG
    FinFrame_1.JPG
    992.6 KB · Views: 158
  • FinFrame_3.JPG
    FinFrame_3.JPG
    956.8 KB · Views: 116
  • FinFrame_2.JPG
    FinFrame_2.JPG
    970.5 KB · Views: 109

JeepFreak21

Observer
Father's Day Update...

I got my wish for Father's Day - some quality time in the garage....

I pretty much have the 'frame' done and am ready to move on to the diamond plate. I think I'm going to go with aluminum diamond plate and rivet it to the frame rails. Before the rivets, I'm thinking I will inquire on the cost of having the frame powder coated. Another option I'm considering is doing Al's Liner over the entire frame.

The vertical post towards the front is the mechanism to secure the dirt bike. I got the idea from a homemade receiver motorcycle carrier that came with my bike when I bought it. It's just 'mocked' up for the picture, but the piece with duct tape slides up and down on the vertical bar, it will slide down over the seat and then be pinned into place with the suspension slightly compressed. With the wheels strapped in place the bike will be very secure. As yo can see in the pic., the whole mechanism can be removed if the bike is not going on the trip. I could then use the space for maybe my cooler.

I still have to do a new rack for the top of the Kamparoo, but that will be the last step.

Looks good! How wide is it at it's widest?

As for the dirt bike mount, it sounds like the setup we have for bicycles:
yWF63.jpg

Billy

mmuthart

Observer
Looks good! How wide is it at it's widest?

Billy

Thanks. 75.5" wide at the fenders. It's a little wider than I was planning but still a touch narrower than the tow vehicle.

Never seen a bicycle rack like that. Looks very secure, just like the motorcycle version.

Attachments

• KampTow_1.JPG
    KampTow_1.JPG
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 182

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Very nice...maybe sell the frame plans to Kamparoo so they sell an off road version?!....:ylsmoke:

Looking great, love the front area

mmuthart

Observer
Some pics. to show latest progress...

Found a spare tire hanger from an 80 Series at a junk yard.
Had aluminum diamond plate cut. I'll pop-rivet them in place.
Big cooler is an option when the motorcycle does not go on the trip.
I still need to figure out how to best secure the cooler and camping box.
Rear corners not shown with their diamond plate platforms. (I need to remove Kamparoo from frame to fit.)
The right side of the trailer will be the kitchen side (table, propane, water).

I'm leaning towards powder coating the aluminum diamond plate semi-gloss black (same as the frame will be). Not sure I'm big fan of the BRIGHT aluminum.

Attachments

• P1000197.JPG
    P1000197.JPG
    962.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P1000193.JPG
    P1000193.JPG
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P1000196.JPG
    P1000196.JPG
    931.6 KB · Views: 101
  • P1000195.JPG
    P1000195.JPG