Kamparoo Project - New Frame and Axle, Extra Space, Advice Needed

mmuthart

Observer
Hi There,

I have my first trailer project going...basically, I've taken the stock suspension off of a base model Kamparoo leaving just the 'box tent' of the Kamparoo. I've already had a new frame built to my specs. with a #3500 axle. I'll be putting the Kamperoo 'box tent' on the new frame. There will be room for water, fuel, propane, camping box, and my Suzuki DRZ400, maybe a battery. I'll do the less 'structural' welding coming off the main frame to create the space for the above items.

The top of the Kamparoo will get a bigger rack to hold items like, moutain bikes, chairs, firewood, other containers with gear, etc..

Anyway, my concerns...the trailer spring mounting kits sure seem light duty (although probably adequate in reality). I went with the longest trailer spring I could find, 30", but the hangers and shackles seem like weak spots compared to the rest of the trailer (2"x3" .120 wall). Each spring supports 1250lbs., so the longer softer springs should make for a more compliant ride.

I'm thinking I'm not happy with the placement of my axle (too far forward). What do you think? It's the one thing I and the frame maker never ironed out; they made the call without my input and now I'm thinking it's not ideal. So, if I'm going to go through the effort of having the axle pushed backwards, I'd like to use some heavier duty hardware to 'hang' the leaf springs. What have other folks done? Any options? The bushings in these trailer springs sure seem cheesy too, allowing for all kinds of movement and clanking. Maybe this is why so many people use automotive springs??

Attachments

• KampCut1.jpg
    KampCut1.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 260
  • KampCut2.jpg
    KampCut2.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 218
  • NewFrame1.jpg
    NewFrame1.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

mmuthart

Observer
More pics..

Edit, the Kamparoo will be pushed all the way towards the rear of the new frame. The DRZ will go immediately in front of it. The box section of the new frame is exactly 4x8 and they put the axle exactly dead center. With the motorclye loaded, this will probably be fine. My concern is if the motorcycle does not make the trip the center of gravity will shift to the rear. I'm thinking about moving the axle back at least 6". Thoughts?

Attachments

• NewFrame4.jpg
    NewFrame4.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 88
  • NewFrame3.jpg
    NewFrame3.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 105
  • NewFrame2.jpg
    NewFrame2.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
Hi There,

I have my first trailer project going...basically, I've taken the stock suspension off of a base model Kamparoo leaving just the 'box tent' of the Kamparoo.

It took me a while to realize what you second photo was. That is the factory Kamparoo frame? I've never crawled under mine to look.

I'm planning the same thing so I'm thankful you are documenting your build. I'd like to armor mine up a bit and add some external facilities for boxes/tanks/racks etc.

I can't see exactly what your concerns are with the trailer suspension components but the stuff I see at the trailer stores is pretty light duty when you compare it to components that go under heavy 4x4s with driven axles. A trailer axle gets way easier use that that. It doesn't articulate, doesn't see torque (unless it has brakes) doesn't get much side load like a steering axle would. The lighter components might be just fine and there is something to be said for using the kinds of components that are available at every Walmart trailer section.

As far as axle location goes, some of that will be determined by the location of the openings on the Kamparoo (unless you are going to modify them). I figured I'd just remove the lower skirt altogether. I wouldn't move the axle until I mocked up or calcualted where all the weight was going to end up. If you have a tongue box with batteries, propane and water tanks etc. you might find that you want the axle further forward than you originally thought.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I re-read your posts. I see that the tires are going to be fully outside the Kamparoo. That makes positioning easier.

I wonder if you can adjust your tongue weight enough simply by adjusting your drawbar length.

mmuthart

Observer
You got it, 2nd pic. is Kamparoo components. I had to cut off the spring hangers from the Kamparoo frame. The tongue was just bolted on.

You're probably right about my suspension components being just fine, that was my initial thought as well. They just don't live up to the 'overkill' theme going on with the rest of the trailer.

It took me a while to realize what you second photo was. That is the factory Kamparoo frame? I've never crawled under mine to look.

I'm planning the same thing so I'm thankful you are documenting your build. I'd like to armor mine up a bit and add some external facilities for boxes/tanks/racks etc.

I can't see exactly what your concerns are with the trailer suspension components but the stuff I see at the trailer stores is pretty light duty when you compare it to components that go under heavy 4x4s with driven axles. A trailer axle gets way easier use that that. It doesn't articulate, doesn't see torque (unless it has brakes) doesn't get much side load like a steering axle would. The lighter components might be just fine and there is something to be said for using the kinds of components that are available at every Walmart trailer section.

As far as axle location goes, some of that will be determined by the location of the openings on the Kamparoo (unless you are going to modify them). I figured I'd just remove the lower skirt altogether. I wouldn't move the axle until I mocked up or calcualted where all the weight was going to end up. If you have a tongue box with batteries, propane and water tanks etc. you might find that you want the axle further forward than you originally thought.

mmuthart

Observer
Next step on the trailer is to weld 'out-riggers' for the platforms that will carry the jerry cans and propane. Also, fenders will be incorporated. So I need to decide on axle location before any more fab, because once the fenders are in place I won't have the luxury of moving the axle back and forth...

As long as you have your welder out, install two sets of hangers. Change the axle location at will. :)

wjeeper

Every single time I see a Kamparoo I kick myself for not buying one that was for sale locally for $250..........in college and too poor at the time.

That said I really like the progress you have made with the new frame! :drool:I was somewhat surprised that that is all the frame those trailers have under them. With the looseness in the springs it may be possible that they put the wrong sized bolts in there. When I worked building trailers It happened on a weekly basis. (idiots grab parts from the wrong bin) Also some trailer springs really don't have bushings, usually all they come with is a thin plastic sleeve. They seem to hold up but one would think it would transmit more of the suspension vibrations to the trailer.

Where is the axle placed on your frame? When we built em we set it so 60% of the trailer (not including the tongue) was forward of the axle. The guys I worked thought that the 60/40 rule was magic and that the trailer gods would punish you if you deviated:elkgrin:..........but if your putting a water tank, fuel or something else heavy up front I would set the axle farther back, so that 60% of the weight was forward of the axle. That should give you a decently balanced tongue weight.

lowenbrau

Explorer
You could make the Kamparoo box slide on the frame to make the tongue weight and space more adjustable. Just a box and rails system with lockpins would do it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Kamparoo.jpg
    Kamparoo.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,729
Last edited:

mmuthart

Observer
Where is the axle placed on your frame? When we built em we set it so 60% of the trailer (not including the tongue) was forward of the axle. The guys I worked thought that the 60/40 rule was magic and that the trailer gods would punish you if you deviated:elkgrin:..........but if your putting a water tank, fuel or something else heavy up front I would set the axle farther back, so that 60% of the weight was forward of the axle. That should give you a decently balanced tongue weight.

Am I misunderstanding, or did you say the same thing twice? If I have more weight up front than I should be able to move the axle forward. Right now, in the pics., I'm 50/50; axle is placed dead center (not including the tongue). I need to be comfortable with this before moving on....

mmuthart

Observer
You could make the Kamparoo box slide on the frame to make the tongue weight and space more adjustable. Just a box and rails system with lockpins would do it.

attachment.php

Cool idea, and great drawings. I'm trying to keep this 'simple' as well. This might throw it over the top. I've thought about mounting the Kamparoo with automotive body mounts, but that would entail fabbing and welding brackets on both the new trailer and underside of the Kamparoo. I'd like to use this thing this summer; it's going to be hard to keep it simple with so many great ideas....please keep them coming!!

wjeeper

Am I misunderstanding, or did you say the same thing twice? If I have more weight up front than I should be able to move the axle forward. Right now, in the pics., I'm 50/50; axle is placed dead center (not including the tongue). I need to be comfortable with this before moving on....

Ok I did explain that really confusing and then totally screwed up the whole point I wad trying to make anyways.......sorry had a few drinks in me :sombrero: Usually trailer decks are placed 60% forward of the axle by measurement. The point I was trying to make is that I think that 60% of the WEIGHT is what is really critical (or something close). This is of course disregaurding the tongue of the trailer completely from the 60/40.

It seems you got the gist of what I was trying to say. Your correct that if you have more weight up front then you can move the axle farther forward. I think that where your axle is (50/50) is perfectly fine for what your planning on building.

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
You've now got me thinking that making the Kamparoo box removable will add some functionality to the trailer and wouldn't be very difficult. I think I'm going to design my project around that. If you get a chance to snap a photo of the bottom of the Kamparoo box, I'd appreciate seeing it.

Last edited:

mmuthart

Observer
You've now got me thinking that making the Kamparoo box removable will add some functionality to the trailer and wouldn't be very difficult. I think I'm going to design my project around that. If you get a chance to snap a photo of the bottom of the Kamparoo box, I'd appreciate seeing it.

I actually got my Kamparoo sitting on it's new chassis this weekend. I'm probably going to just bolt it down to the new frame with some brackets. So mine will be removable, but not in such a way that it'll be quick and easy.

I noticed this about the Kamparoo frame along time ago but haven't mentioned it - the frame rails are really bowed upward. I can't imagine why it would be designed that way, but maybe it is, anybody know?

I'll try and get some pics of the underside, but now, the new frame is in the way. I'll also get a couple pics. of how it's looking with Kamparoo and tongue box sitting on the new frame.

I ordered a set of fenders from Sierra4x4.

I've decided to leave the axle where it is.

mmuthart

Observer
Pictures. Welded on a tongue jack. The storage compartment on the Kamparoo was unfortunately an after thought - you can see where I had to cut it so the frame cross member would fit.

Attachments

• P1000114.JPG
    P1000114.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 251
  • P1000117.JPG
    P1000117.JPG
    522.9 KB · Views: 229
  • P1000118.JPG
    P1000118.JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Forum statistics