Australian Window Visors?

justinhw

Adventurer
I'm having a hard time finding this through search, so I thought I'd ask:

I see a lot of Australian rigs with really wide window visors like these:

5734789684_50549cccfe.jpg

rig.jpg

What is the benefit of having such a wide visor? I really like the look of it (although I can see it obstructing the side view mirror). Is there anything specific about the conditions or terrain in Australia that make it more popular over there?

corax

Explorer
I have a set on my 4runner, and while they take a bit getting used to (think "tinted blinders") they are great in heavy rain. They also create a lot of vacuum at the window, so I can roll the window down 1/2 way and feel the air getting pulled out of the truck. I think when I ordered a set, they were called "Offroad" vent visors or something like that.

*edit* do a search for -> auto ventshade aerovisor offroad <- and you'll find 'em

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I've been trying to find those for my truck for awhile and couldnt think of a name to Google Search them.

They'd be great down here in Florida where the inside of the truck can get beyond hot during the daytime. I could probably leave my window down half way and not worry about the rains getting in

ExpoMike

Man those bring back memories. They were really BIG back in the hey day of the mini truck scene in the '80's. Had a set on my D50 mini truck and you almost couldn't find a Toyota that didn't have them. Seems today the small, mini versions are much more common.

Holger

Observer
They are used to keep the windows a hand wide open while it rains, and also protect from flying stones on gravel roads.(kicked up by the car passing or in front of you).
Dissatvantage is that you can't lean out of your window as easy to look at you front wheel in technical terrain.(only with the big ones like on my Toyo).

Attachments

• Juli 06 215.jpg
    Juli 06 215.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102

Toyotero

Explorer
My LC in Nicaragua had them... it was nice to be able to leave the windows down an inch while out in the country while it was parked or while driving around, and it kept the unexpected rains out of the inside. They were also tinted, and what Corax about says 'tinted blinders' is very true.

I've seen clear sets that look like they would work well without the blinder effect.

apsilon

Observer
They're called "weather shields" generally. Didn't realise they weren't common elsewhere. I've never used them so can't comment on how well they work.

gchinsr

Observer
These "Visors" are an OEM part for my BMW X3. It allow you to open the window to the level of the visor, and keep the windshield clear using the upper vent, instead of having to use the air conditioner to defrost the window when raining. In summer heat, when parked, the window partially down help ventilate, and help cool the interior. They also help reduce turbulence with the window down. I love them.
Greg

4xdog

Explorer
When air conditioning was much less common on cars and aerodynamics were less important, these kinds of products were a lot more popular. With flush-mounted glazing and thermostatic cabin temp control, one doesn't see them as often. They're still out there, though, such as here.

tommudd

Explorer
I have them on our Toyota over in Tanzania and love them. Like mentioned they let you roll down the window during rains and you do feel like there is more air flow. Tried finding a set to bring back for the KJ but couldn't

irish_11

Explorer
My Tacoma came with a smaller version made by vent shade I think. I really like them. I hated the look on other rigs when I was out shopping, but they look good on the Taco. They are great for the rain (like others have mentioned), living in Seattle I use them quite a bit for fresh air in a rainstorm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles