Anyone own an Armada?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
My wife is hounding me to upgrade her Xterra to an Armada. Anyone here own a 4x4 Armada? Main concern is real world MPG. I honestly don't get that great in the Xterra, so a tiny dip wouldn't bother me for the increased size.

My wife is hounding me to upgrade her Xterra to an Armada. Anyone here own a 4x4 Armada? Main concern is real world MPG. I honestly don't get that great in the Xterra, so a tiny dip wouldn't bother me for the increased size.

I'm not sure what year her X is but i went from an '02 X to an '08 Armada LE as a dd. The mileage on my X was bad and this Armada is not any better. I wish i could give you the real world mpg but i can't simply because i haven't been paying much attention to it. Plus, having the 5.6 it's very tempting to mash the go pedal which makes it suck the gas. Just sign up on clubarmada.com and i'm sure one of those guys will be able to help you out.

Oh, and by the way, it's a substantial jump in size. I love the Armada esp with all the LE options.

I hope this helps.....

FreeManDan

Adventurer
I cant judge your needs sir, but I like the Pathfinder over the Armada. With the armada what you really pay for is more sheet metal, a few more inches of leg room for the 3rd row, a center console/cup holders for the middle row, 9,000lb towing cap (vs the 6,000 4.0 pathfinder and 7,000 5.6 pathfinder) and more buttons on the dash. You can get more wheel travel out of a $1,045 pathfinder suspension lift then you can out of a $2,500 armada suspension lift (which may include dropdown brackets, sacrificing ground clearance). To me wheel travel is the most important aspect as my trips take me down rough dirt roads :truck:

I cant judge your needs sir, but I like the Pathfinder over the Armada. With the armada what you really pay for is more sheet metal, a few more inches of leg room for the 3rd row, a center console/cup holders for the middle row, 9,000lb towing cap (vs the 6,000 4.0 pathfinder and 7,000 5.6 pathfinder) and more buttons on the dash. You can get more wheel travel out of a $1,045 pathfinder suspension lift then you can out of a $2,500 armada suspension lift (which may include dropdown brackets, sacrificing ground clearance). To me wheel travel is the most important aspect as my trips take me down rough dirt roads :truck:

Agreed for the most part. More sheet metal means more room if you need it. My second row is a full bench not buckets which is great. The 5.6 in my Armada runs on regular unleaded which unfortunately is not the case with the Pathfinder. For some reason Nissan made the 5.6 Pathfinder to run on high octane just like the Q56. Again, you are absolutely right about the offroading capabilities but in all honesty i don't think either platform is great for offroad. 4wheel independant suspension just means a whole lotta breakage and parts wearing out very quickly. And i know my Armada wouldn't fit in most of the trails i've been on.

Believe me, i'm not disagreeing with you. The Pathfinder is a great truck regardless of how bias i am towards Nissan. If a person needs the third row you are better off with the Armada with a middle bench. If not, then the Pathfinder is def a great choice.

Not sure if Fireman78 was looking to offroad the vehicle?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Ya guys.. basically it would be the "family" vehicle, as well as my wifes DD. We live at 7500 feet down a long dirt road and the winters can be pretty rough with snow , ice, and mud. I am constantly using my Power Wagon to rescue stuck vehicels all winter long around where I live. I want a good vehicle for my wife and kids to be safe in, good traction for snow, all the soccer mom stuff one could ever dream of, and be comfy on ,,say, for example, .. a family trip to Disneyland, Florida, whatever., ect. It would also be used as a family camping rig, but not super hard core like I do to my Dodge. As far as "hard core off road" stuff,. of course I have my Power Wagon for that. It just seems the Xterra is always a wee bit too small for our family needs. I actually test drove an Armada today.. those are SWEET. I threw down the gauntlet today with the manager of the dealership. I told him I'd buy a brand new Armada with all the trimmings if he bought my 6 acres of land I'm selling... :) A little awkward for him but a good laugh for me.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We love our Armada. Currently about 65,000 miles on a 2006 LE 4x4. We average 11mpg. Hate that part! We have gotten as high as 14 on long straight roads, probably due to tail winds. We typically travel with a Yakima skybox on the roof (21 cubic foot version), and it does not seem to noticeably effect mileage.

We are on our third set of tires. We started out with the OEM Continentals, hated 'em. Then went with Bridgestone Dueler Revo's, which worked great but wore out faster than anticipated. I think we only got 30,000 miles out of them. Just installed a new set of the brand new to market BFG Rugged Terrain tires (265/70/18) and they seem pretty cool. Dubbed suitable for "hardcore on road" by 4x4 magazine, LOL.

The middle seat has more room than any other vehicle on the road today, save the $400,000 Maybach. We have traveled long distance with 4 adults, 2 kids, and a dog with plenty of room.

The truck accelerates like a rocket, cruises effortlessly, tows like a champ, turns on a dime, and has great outward visibility. Interior quality could be better, but its held up pretty well for us so far.

936488203_gWHCU-XL.jpg

585368210_kuQxG-XL.jpg

936489481_pWHRm-XL.jpg

We've never done any hard trails in it, but we have taken it to Monache Meadows and the White Mountains above Bishop
624113787_LUfM3-XL.jpg

585368239_xdmhD-XL.jpg

ubiqcrew

Armada

I don't have one but there was one here in Boise, idaho and the full tailgate had big letters on it that said GAS HOG ....

nwoods

Expedition Leader
nice rig nwoods, I like the trailer as well!!

Thanks. Now around 90,000 miles on it, and just gave it it's 4th set of tires. Man this thing eats tires! Installed Nitto Crosstek's. So far we love them. Way smoother on the street than the previous BFG's. Has a pretty aggressive tread for a street oriented AT, but only a 2 ply sidewall so we will be careful with them.

Metrocruiser

Hmmm..... I've been looking at nitto. Terras for my 78 bronco but omg 450 per tire is crazy... 17x13.5x37s.

My Mada is at 200k .ms or so and will be on 4th set soon. The contis were not so good. We got dueler revos the last two times but now that you mentioned nittos I think ill research that.

Did you build your trailer?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We started out with the Conti's and they wore out in 25k miles. Then we went with the Dueler Revo's and liked them generally, but again, they wore out faster than I think they should. Folks are getting 40-50k miles out them, we got about 30k. Switched to BFG Rugged Terrain's, which did great on mild trails like Mojave Trail, but felt awful on the street. They absorbed big bumps okay, but Bott's dot's on the freeway were like hitting landmines, and again, wore out pretty fast for us. These CrossTek's feel amazing on the road. Totally smooth ride. My wife is extremely happy with them. She's cognizant of tire care and handling and things, but doesn't really pay that much attention. When I put on the Nitto's she came back from errands the next day and gave me a huge Hug and said, "OMG I LOVE MY NEW TIRES", so I think she noticed :)

Not my photo:
photo3.jpg

Metrocruiser

Hmmm..... I've been looking at nitto. Terras for my 78 bronco but omg 450 per tire is crazy... 17x13.5x37s.

My Mada is at 200k .ms or so and will be on 4th set soon. The contis were not so good. We got dueler revos the last two times but now that you mentioned nittos I think ill research that.

Did you build your trailer?
Hi nwoods,

Those tires look nice. How well are they lasting?
Do you have after marked rims? What size tires are you running,

Thanks
We started out with the Conti's and they wore out in 25k miles. Then we went with the Dueler Revo's and liked them generally, but again, they wore out faster than I think they should. Folks are getting 40-50k miles out them, we got about 30k. Switched to BFG Rugged Terrain's, which did great on mild trails like Mojave Trail, but felt awful on the street. They absorbed big bumps okay, but Bott's dot's on the freeway were like hitting landmines, and again, wore out pretty fast for us. These CrossTek's feel amazing on the road. Totally smooth ride. My wife is extremely happy with them. She's cognizant of tire care and handling and things, but doesn't really pay that much attention. When I put on the Nitto's she came back from errands the next day and gave me a huge Hug and said, "OMG I LOVE MY NEW TIRES", so I think she noticed :)

Not my photo:
photo3.jpg

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
The Armada is a GAS killer... The Xterra will be much better and that isn't saying much.

What year Xterra?

And the Pathy cam win a 3rd row too... with a V8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles