Rear Bumper Swingout Attachment Choices...help me decide...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I am currently shopping for a rear tire swingout style bumper for a 1995 Land Cruiser.
I am interested to know other peoples opinions on what "attachments" they like/dislike on their rear bumper, whatever the brand/vehicle...most of these bumpers come with endless combinations/setups for the swingout attachements...

I am not looking for brand recommendations...I have that narrowed down

For now I know I would like to get the tire mounted up from the undercarriage...but am undecided on the other side. Most options I have seen are:
1. Ladder (I am planning for full length roof rack so this is a real possibility and probably my first choice)
2. Fuel/Water carrier (seems like this can go on roof? or is it better to have mounted low?)
3. Bike rack... (seems useless in my opinion as a yakima/thule tray could be modified to attach to ladder)...
4. Fridge/cooler rack (my fridge is inside)...although a YETI on the outside would be nice for some road sodies...

Thanks for the advice...
Matt

Last edited:

targa88

Explorer
CBIBumper3Q.jpg

My build requirements were specific:
1) Remove the weight of the tyre of the rear door hinges. In retrospect I would have put the tyre carrier on the passenger side ( less obstructed rear view)
2) Removable swingouts 9 didn't need the extra weight when traveling around town and not on an "expedition"
3) At least two can carrier - initially for petrol, once I got an auxiliary tank - then water cans (1 for drinkable and 1 grey water)
4) HI-lift attachment
5) Antenna or rear view light

General commentary:
Not a fan of roof racks and high centre of gravity. So that discounts any recommendations of putting weight up high.
The bike rack is an interesting idea. Just not sure that there is sufficient use to warrant carrying it around.

Viggen

Just here...
I have a tire on one side and gerry can space on the other (enough room for two cans and also mounts the hi lift and antenna). I like it. Ive done the water and fuel on the roof thing and wont do it again. Too much weight up there. 5 gallons of water at 7 lbs a gallon. That gets old hauling it up onto the roof. Im not running a rack anymore and am not too sure that I will. Theres enough room in the Cruiser for everything I need. If I do mount one up, itll be a very small one and will be for things like fire wood.

adi

Adventurer
I have the Slee dual swingout bumper. I have the gas can rack on the ladder, and I can carry 3x water or gas cans, and the other side is the spare tire.

With the spare out from under the vehicle, it gives me a few options of second spare, 45G aux tank, or space for third battery/on board air/whatever space.

Before this I was carrying my gas cans in the cabin, which wasn't a huge deal since mine seal great, but not the best option.

With the gas can mount, you could fit a smaller cooler or ammo cans on it as well, giving it a little bit of versatility.

I've only had it a month/~2k miles or so, but I have zero buyers remorse

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
the new Kaymar units are nice. I have a similar set up on my '96 TLC - ladder, 5 gallon carrier, and spare tire carrier. I think a cooler would be a bit much, but you could use your hitch tube to carry a bike rack.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have the Slee dual swingout bumper. I have the gas can rack on the ladder, and I can carry 3x water or gas cans, and the other side is the spare tire.

With the spare out from under the vehicle, it gives me a few options of second spare, 45G aux tank, or space for third battery/on board air/whatever space.

Do you use your ladder to access a roof rack?

Thanks for all the advice!

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
the new Kaymar units are nice. I have a similar set up on my '96 TLC - ladder, 5 gallon carrier, and spare tire carrier. I think a cooler would be a bit much, but you could use your hitch tube to carry a bike rack.

I ran a customized dual swing kaymar on my disco. 1 swing for jerry cans, CB antenna, HF antenna. Other swing has tire, Hilift, extending work light. Integrated the swingaway to incorporate the ladder.

Use the hitch for my double bike rack

adi

Adventurer
Do you use your ladder to access a roof rack?

Thanks for all the advice!

I only have the factory roof bars, and never use them. Since the can holder attaches to the ladder, it would be a little awkward to use the ladder even when it's empty.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Have the tire and 2 jerry can rack. IMHO a ladder is kinda silly. Just climb up the truck. I use the doors, windows, tires what ever. Nice and easy. Load and unload the roof rack with difficulty. 96 TLC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online