Need a torque wrench...

wandererr

Adventurer
The axle nut and bearing bolts that are associated with Jeep Dana 30 unit bearings require 175ft-lbs. WOW :Wow1: While I usually don't use a torque wrench, and do most of my tightening by feel (thanks Dad), this is one of those times when an exception is warrented, IMO. :elkgrin:

Hmmmm bearing bolts 175?? The three that are accessible from the back of the knuckle? IIRC they're 75ft lbs (or therebouts) not 175ft lbs. The nut though is 175 lbs which is me jumping on a $10 breaker bar at a distance smaller then 1ft away from the nut ;) So far I haven't had a single unibearing separate (though I did have some odd failures due to poor manufacturing by timken ;) )

ExpoMike

that's funny. that's exactly what one of the reviews said. No issues above about 60ft-lbs, but below, its like it was not registering the threshhold of the specified torque setting. My dad has an awesome old school torque wrench thats good up to about 75ft-lbs. It looks like a breaker bar, but has long seperate shaft that measures the deflection of the main bar to register the amount of torque being applied. It's probably from the 50's, and he's rebuilt probably 6 motors, trannies, etc. with it.

That is called a beam torque wrench. Still available and many old school guys still like them. Biggest reason I have seen them not getting used much is the require more space to use and you have to be able to see the numbers. Nice thing is there is basically no moving parts so nothing to get out of spec, unlike a "click" type wrench.

BTW, make sure you ALWAYS reset the setting of the wrench back to its "rest" position when you are done for the day. If you leave the load on the spring, it will slowly loose tension and be out of spec. Can really ruin your day. I never let anyone reset my wrenches, I always ask them to give them to me so I will know it's done correctly.

ExpoMike

Hmmmm bearing bolts 175?? The three that are accessible from the back of the knuckle? IIRC they're 75ft lbs (or therebouts) not 175ft lbs. The nut though is 175 lbs which is me jumping on a $10 breaker bar at a distance smaller then 1ft away from the nut ;) So far I haven't had a single unibearing separate (though I did have some odd failures due to poor manufacturing by timken ;) )

Agree, I don't think the bearing bolts are 175 ft-lbs. 75 does sound right. I can look it up in my factory Mopar manual if you like. I wouldn't trust a Hynes or Chiltons manual.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Agree, I don't think the bearing bolts are 175 ft-lbs. 75 does sound right. I can look it up in my factory Mopar manual if you like. I wouldn't trust a Hynes or Chiltons manual.

Yup, check for me if you would...

I'm sure about the axle nut, but yeah honestly 175 seemed a bit much for the (3) 13mm little guys in the back.

:sombrero:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
That is called a beam torque wrench. Still available and many old school guys still like them. Biggest reason I have seen them not getting used much is the require more space to use and you have to be able to see the numbers. Nice thing is there is basically no moving parts so nothing to get out of spec, unlike a "click" type wrench.

BTW, make sure you ALWAYS reset the setting of the wrench back to its "rest" position when you are done for the day. If you leave the load on the spring, it will slowly loose tension and be out of spec. Can really ruin your day. I never let anyone reset my wrenches, I always ask them to give them to me so I will know it's done correctly.

Yeah, I've seen that in my research, but thanks for the confirmation.

And cool info about the beam torque wrench.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Whatever you get, I'd calibrate it before using it on anything critical.
You can do this at home yourself. Google.

alosix

Expedition Leader
craftsman have TERRIBLE warranties on the torque wrenches. take a look at the husky wrenches from home depot. they are not too expensive and have a lifetime warranty and are generally in stock. I have a big one from them that is 50-250 or something, looking for something in the 10-100 range.
huskys cost about 75 bucks and come with a nice plastic case that is not too much bigger than the wrench

This is what drove me to a Snap-on for my bigger 1/2 drive one. I think I needed just a little over 200 for a few things (one subaru suspension bolt comes to mind).. 175 is about a D30/44 front axle bolt and right around a few t-case yoke bolts as well.

I bought a craftsman 3/8" drive one not long ago. Other than not really liking its adjustment, its quit having a decent click in the 30-40ft/lb range causing me to almost damage the threads in the head of my WRX when putting the intake on last time.

I might have to give some of the husky stuff a try soon, my faith in craftsman is mostly gone.

Jason

ExpoMike

Verified, 2000 XJ FSM, hub bearing bolts, 75 ft-lbs. Axle nut, 175 ft-lbs.

Glad we checked this or you would have been posting up, "how in the heck do I remove broken hub bearing bolts?" LOL :D

slomatt

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight torque wrenches. My first torque wrench was a Craftsman and it died after about months, my HF 1/2" drive has been going strong for years. They probably do not retain accuracy as well as some other brands, but for suspension/axle work maximum accuracy is not an issue and for the price they can't be beat.

- Matt

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Verified, 2000 XJ FSM, hub bearing bolts, 75 ft-lbs. Axle nut, 175 ft-lbs.

Glad we checked this or you would have been posting up, "how in the heck do I remove broken hub bearing bolts?" LOL :D

Cool. By the way, as much as people hate Haynes repair manuals, I've used my exclusively to repair my jeep. I've double checked some things on the internet, but it's been 100% accurate so far.[shrug]

(It states 175, and 75 for the hub nut, and the hub bearing bolts respectively, for example.)

I must have had 175 in my head for those hub nut 13mm's from someone's naxja post, but I hadn't actually checked haynes yet since my wrench day is a few weeks off...lol.

Thanks all the same, though. :elkgrin:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I know its just outside the price range of $100, but sometimes you can find it cheaper at other sites. Split beam style (dont have to worry as much about re-setting to zero after use), and the head also angles a bit (helps with wheel torque down).

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Ins...SFIM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306647358&sr=8-2

That actually seems like a very good option! thanks!

I'll have to do a bit of research on "split beam" design. I've never heard of that style.

crusem

For what it is worth I like my Kobalt better than the Craftsman that was stolen. I use a Armstrong at work that I wish i had bought for myself. The Armstrong is longer and you don't have to work as much at the upper level.
I also keep a sale priced HFreight one in the truck box It is longer than my lug wrench and if all else fails I will use it as a breaker bar and not cry to much if I bust it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles