2006 Sprinter Conversion - For Work or Play

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the great photographs. I appreciate you taking the time to share them.

I trust you guys had a good time. I don't believe you missed much up here.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Great trip report!

Loved the Class A with what looked like a roll of carpet on the roof and the extension built off the side. I think you titled it "Home is what you make of it"

Also love, love, love the Matchbox Sprinter pics. You need to do an entire series that can go in an album from your travels

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
I simplified the Wave 3 heater set-up...

P1190896.JPG

(above) I had a piece of 2x4 aluminum that was cut to width, notched to allow proper under-unit air flow...I drilled the aluminum to accept the factory feet screws...

P1190895.JPG

(above) All factory recommended clearances are maintained...The heater to floor distance is 4"...

P1190897.JPG

(above) A fuel line wrench is shock-corded to the plywood...

P1190899.JPG

(above) The plywood box holds the fuel canister and the fuel line...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
The heater was broken when it was given to me, so to fix it, that plywood cam holds the knob in, to maintain gas flow...

Also, the gas line in the photos does not have a regulator on it...In use, I use a regulatored hose...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Tire Chain Ladder...

P1190923.JPG

(above)I was cleaning out the garage and I found a set of tire chains, cables actually...One thing I have on my list of things to do to the Sprinter is to find or make a ladder to the roof...

P1190924.JPG

(above) I removed the cross cables I didn't need...A stiff, thin prybar and some hand strength are what's needed to get them off...

P1190925.JPG

For steps I found some scrap conduit...

P1190926.JPG

(above) It turns out that 3/4" electrical conduit fits over the cross cable ends, perfectly...

P1190927.JPG

(above) After passing the cable through the pipe, the cross tie "things" are repositioned and hammered closed with center punch and a heavy hammer...

P1190928.JPG

(above) About a half hour invested so far...

P1190929.JPG

(above) The plan is to hook the ladder over my roof racks...Plywood is the easiest way for me to fab most things...Here are the rack hooks...

P1190931.JPG

(above) Major assembly done...

P1190932.JPG

(above) With the nylon cords, it super easy to adjust the overall length...As it is, it is an eight foot ladder...

P1190933.JPG

I can reach the roof rack (barely) standing at the rear door and on my tip toes...The plywood hooks get dropped over and there it is...Roof ladder...

P1190934.JPG

Hooks over rack...

I need to do one more simple things before I 'll call it done...It need a strap between the bottom stem and the step bumper to keep the ladder taught...If not, it's like a ladder up to a trapeze...

More later...

Last edited:

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Chain ladder...

P1190936.JPG

(above) Instead of trying to further improve the cable ladder, I built one from some scrap chain and other stuff that has been around the house for a while...

P1190937.JPG

(above) The treads are 1/2" electrical conduit...They slip over a 12" piece of 'all-thread' with a nut on the outside...The all-thread ends were peened to keep the nuts from spinning off...To keep the chain ladder from swinging while on it, I opted for a simple cord to hold tension on the chains...

P1190938.JPG

(above) Up top, a 3/8" nylon rope keeps the chain off the metal and is knotted to the chain and the plywood rack hooks...

P1190939.JPG
]
(above) The rack hooks...I went up and down a half dozen times and I can say, it's solid and will get me up and down no problemo...

P1190940.JPG

(above) It all fits in the tire chain box too...!!!...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
P1010729.JPG

(above) Window Screens

P1010730.JPG

(above) Plywood frame with aluminum mesh...Notched at bottom and top to fit the window and door...Nice tight fit with the windows rolled up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier