Experience With Preparing ISUZU NPS Camper: Body

dlh62c

Explorer
Each to their own, but I do not regret installing the water trap into my fuel line, as it is a decent insurance addition, in my opinion.
Also, I don't know how you would go filling a tank using a Hi-Flow fuel pump via a funnel.

Its wise to add one if it didn't exist in the first place.

Protection against water and dirt is easy, protection against cross contamination with other fluids isn't and is often overlooked.

Last edited:

trackadda

Observer
ok, so i want to install a filter with a water trap close to the fuel tank where it is visible enough to check every time i fill up. i want to leave original filter in place as well so do i go with a 30 micron or 5 micron filter or some thing differant

dlh62c

Explorer
The OEM filter and separator should be sufficient to protect the system.

Be careful modifying the low pressure side of the fuel system as it can impact the fuel system as a whole.

Take the truck to a shop to see if the relative and absolute fuel pressures in the system are within spec.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
i want to leave original filter in place as well so do i go with a 30 micron or 5 micron filter or some thing differant
The determining factor is probably where the primer pump is located.

I am not familiar at all with the Isuzus, as I have a Fuso, but on my truck the primer pump is at the engine, so it has to suck the fuel from the tank. If there is too much resistance in the fuel line then this will limit the fuel getting to the high pressure pump, which would not be good. On some trucks the primer pump is in the tank, so it pushes the fuel to the engine. Pushing fuel is much better than pulling when it comes to adding additional filtration.

These trucks are known for running hundreds of thousands of kilometres, so I figure that the OEM fuel filtration must be pretty good already, so personally I saw no real need to improve it.
The OEM fuel filter on my Fuso has an electronic water sensor, but the casing is solid black plastic, so there is no way you can do a visual inspection for water in the fuel, which is something I did not like. So, my main reason for adding the Racor filter was not to improve filtration; it was so that I had a water trap in front of the OEM fuel filter that I could inspect easily.

Before adding my Racor filter I temporarily installed a vacuum gauge in the pickup line as close to the engine as I could to test the vacuum at that point. After adding the Racor filter there was a negligible increase in vacuum, which gave me confidence that I would not be affecting fuel flow with the addition of this filter. I am using 30 micron filters in the Racor, as this reduces the possibility of fuel flow restriction if it gets a bit dirty. I also have a permanently mounted vacuum gauge on the Racor now, so I can see if it does get dirty.

So my advice... don't assume anything, test your setup before and after so you know for sure you are not fixing one problem while creating another.

steve66

Observer
Hi tracka, I have a eurov nps which has a filter/water seperator as standard fit.

The fleetguard part no for the element is FS19551, thanks to 4x4coaster, look at page2 of his build thread.

specs say this is 10 micron, hope that helps.

As Sifreak says, u would want to test to make sure your older model is happy with this

cheers steve

javajoe79

Fabricator
This is good stuff. I recently acquired a fuel filter/separator off of a wrecked Hino box truck. It has a heater and water sensor built in to it and the filter housing is clear for visual inspection of the filter and of the fuel color I assume. I mounted it next to my tank on the frame which is directly beside the lift pump on the cummins engine.

unkamonkey

Explorer
When I bought my 1994 MF it had 2 water separators and I drained out about 4 table spoons of water out of the first one. I check them every time I crawl under to grease things. No problems since then.

Mr Rehab

Traveller
ok, so i want to install a filter with a water trap close to the fuel tank where it is visible enough to check every time i fill up. i want to leave original filter in place as well so do i go with a 30 micron or 5 micron filter or some thing differant

Our 2010 NPS has a pre-filter fitted by the local Isuzu workshop before we shipped overseas - same 5.2 diesel as the 2007 I think? I've only had to drain water from the pre-filter once - after a load of diesel in Austria of all places. I remember the workshop commenting on the need to ensure the fuel pump would cope but we ended up with a 2 micron pre-filter. The truck has done 100,000km since without problems.

unkamonkey

Explorer
The best diesel mechanics I know of are about 5 blocks from my house or about 2 houses from me. They figured out things in 20 min that the dealer couldn't do in 4 days.
I suppose this doesn't help you much. Best wishes for your finding a good mechanic. Good ones are out there. The only time I had to deal with my MF was to replace a cracked exhaust manifold. The dealer said that they have never had to order a new one. Not sure how it happened. I'm sure it was my fault, somehow.

trackadda

Observer
The best diesel mechanics I know of are about 5 blocks from my house or about 2 houses from me. They figured out things in 20 min that the dealer couldn't do in 4 days.
I suppose this doesn't help you much. Best wishes for your finding a good mechanic. Good ones are out there. The only time I had to deal with my MF was to replace a cracked exhaust manifold. The dealer said that they have never had to order a new one. Not sure how it happened. I'm sure it was my fault, somehow.

i know what you mean mate, i have a trusted brother in law that is service manager at the local dealer so he will know which mechanic there is full of knowledge and not full of ****. after that i will weigh up all options including the great advice from here and hope i get it right

unkamonkey

Explorer
Yeah, my brother and neighbor would say that I caused the Hindenburg and Titanic to go down if they could figure out the dates when I wasn't even born yet.
Still not sure how I cracked that manifold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles