NATO 20 Liter Jerry Can

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If I visit the Peoples Republic of California from the Republic of Texas with my NATO gas cans what can I to expect?

Will I stopped by every cop? What are the legal penalties?

Certainly something to keep in mind if making a trip.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, as far as anyone has said, the legal prohibition is against importing such cans for SALE. I have never seen any language that existing cans cannot be used. It's pretty much the same boat as when california outlawed certain of the dirtier types of small engines (boat motors, weed whackers, lawn mowers, etc.) - you can still use your old stuff, just that new stuff has to be "clean".

Now, if you are "caught" putting fuel into a can labeled "NOT FOR FUEL USE", I suppose you could be cited for using an improper container, but I wonder who would be looking for such a label. If you're using a "legacy" fuel can that was "intended" for fuel, you should be fine.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If I visit the Peoples Republic of California from the Republic of Texas with my NATO gas cans what can I to expect?

Will I stopped by every cop? What are the legal penalties?

Certainly something to keep in mind if making a trip.

Thanks,
Mike

I think they view it as an excuse to pull you over to find other things or to check if you're drunk but not one they normally take the time to pull you over for if nothing else is wrong.

Not sure what the penalty is, but it will probably be a fixit ticket if anything.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
Here is a source for the nozzle. The price has gone up a little.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.php?cat=unimog&partno=SAV4220

shpicfile.php

i ordered that nozzle from them in addition to a few more swiss nato cans and the nozzle sucks, the company says is "surplus" and wont take it back, and wont answer my emails anymore.

I would stay as far away from that company as you possibly can. I have a dozen nato cans and a few swiss cans and the nozzle wont fit on any of them. it wont cam down (leaks like crazy.. like half the can would pour outside the nozzle and onto the ground) leaks when I tie the cam down out of the vent tube when pouring.

total ripoff. better off getting half a dozen crappy chinese ones for less money total that only leak a little.

JohnnyS

Explorer
I just got mine and it doesn't leak at all, however it is too large in diameter to fit in an unleaded filler neck....bummer

JohnnyS

Explorer
Are the black gaskets that DO sells are the proper material for fuel use?
The existing ones (pink) are coming apart.....

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Gas cans, an idea....

I have 2 NATO olive green cans and I just put a gasoline "3" red haz diamond shaped stickers on each side to identify the contents, alas I forget where I ordered them from, search Haz. material label and you should be able to locate some and they will cover the "not for fuel" stamping on your new cans. stay safe mjmcdowell :)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Hope its no to much off topic but I did see a deal today at cheaperthandirt. 4 cans for 99.00 with a nozzle. These are the green metal NATO cans.

Dave Kay

Adventurer
Saw those too on another site but the jury still seems to be out on how good/bad they may be.

If they are the same ones I saw at Harbor Freight they DO look low quality but that may not hurt functionality. My biggest concern is with how crumby are the spouts. I guess somebody has to be the cheap jerry can tester. eh?

rajin cajun

Adventurer
Quality

I'm a firm believer in the adage, "You get what you pay for". Notice that CTD has the new NATO cans for $50.00 each.

By the way, I purchased the new one, its the same that our friends at Deutsch Optik and Rover Parts/Atlantic British sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles