Trailer thoughts/ideas

java

Expedition Leader
I currently have a basic utility trailer that is lifted on 31 's that I use to haul my dirt bikes and dump runs etc that is getting worn out that I would like to replace.

So here is where the questions and your opinions come in.
I would love to have a camper for the winter camping skiing etc. Ideally id love a hard sided opposite top like what 1speed has done. But that doesn't haul dirt bikes well so I would change the design a bit to allow this. But that is an extremely expensive option. So I've been thinking of converting a enclosed cargo trailer to have some basic camping things. Bed heater a couple cabinets etc, would like to throw some bigger tires and a brake axle under it. But then it starts to get really tall which makes it a gas eater. Not gonna do any hardcore trails with it so im not too concerned with the top heavyness.
that brings me to my next idea. Build a new utility trailer and add a fwc type truck slide in too it for camping.
do you guys think a cargo trailer will be though enough to handle rough roads? Im trying to do a low cost and as light as possible. Guess I just want your opinions on my ideas. I can always just build my own but the cargo just seemed like an easier starting point.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
One thought still on my drawing board is putting side boxes on my utlity trailer as high as the sides of a pickup bed. Haul my bike and gear on the trialer. Unload it and put up a Sportz Tent on the trailer that is made for pickup beds with the rear entry.

Another option is to build a teardrop style camper that slides on the trailer.

java

Expedition Leader
One thought still on my drawing board is putting side boxes on my utlity trailer as high as the sides of a pickup bed. Haul my bike and gear on the trialer. Unload it and put up a Sportz Tent on the trailer that is made for pickup beds with the rear entry.

Another option is to build a teardrop style camper that slides on the trailer.

Im trying to build this for cold winter. So hard walls are kind of a must for me. I tent all summer or whenever its warm enough.
I thought about a slide in tear drop but I want to be able to stand inside. Ideally anyway. That's what lead me to the fwc and trailer idea.

java

Expedition Leader
ok more info... here is the current trailer. probably 5-600 lbs, angle iron and plywood, built in 1962, a couple welds have cracked (only on the walls, the frame and spring hangers etc look good), appears to have a home make axle made from who knows what. its making me a bit nervous putt 10k of dirtbikes in it and doing 60 on the freeway.

this is what id like, sort of, fold down bed, little galley in the font, but dirtbikes still fit.

pics form B@tt's build on TTT

java

Expedition Leader
thoughts on dragging something like this on rough roads? dry weight is 12-1400lbs so with camping stuff should be about 2k. towing with a 4th gen 4runner

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Not enough wheel travel probably, and I'd worry about the tall structure becoming more flexible after some time off-pavement.

java

Expedition Leader
Not enough wheel travel probably, and I'd worry about the tall structure becoming more flexible after some time off-pavement.

ideally i would add a small lift to increase the wheel travel and allow for shocks to be added.
i didnt even think about the flexibilty part. you could be right about wearing our rivets etc. i know the internal structure is weled steel but its on 24" centers and not super heavy steel

Last edited:

CliftonSmith

Observer
Nice trailer ideas! but for me I prefer more to just use my truck alone with no trailer attached on it. This will be my next major truck project. I'll be needing some truck parts like truck bed tents perhaps.

bob

Adventurer
There is a build going on over at Ih8mud, unigue 416 build. you might want to look at his idea.

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
Two solutions to two of the problems mentioned. First ground clearance...do an axle flip, that will give you three to four inches of body clearance so you can also add taller tires and get even more. Second, rigidity of the box. Put cross bars at teh bottom fo the curve of the roof on the inside about 12 inches down from the roof. This does two things. It will strengthen the sides and roof, as well as give you a plat form to put gear if you floor the cross bracing.

Hope that helps with ideas!

JJ

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, I inhertited a rtt so I'm leaning towards a trailer from a tundra bed with a lift rack for the tent.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Hey Java...

How about a solidtop on the truck bed trailer?...big enough to hold two bikes? If you need GSU help let me know.

java

Expedition Leader
Hey Java...

How about a solidtop on the truck bed trailer?...big enough to hold two bikes? If. you need GSU help let me know.
Ideally I'd like one of the tri fold tonneau covers. I need to be able to easily convert to dirt bike mode. I was thinking a removeable bar on the back of the rtt rack and fold the top. I've been playing with legos for the lift system design, in kinda leaning toward a rack that flops up and back down and foreword if that makes sense. I'd love to find a set of camper Jack's and just go vertically but they are spendy! And too long I think about 4' collapsed

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles